The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... Finally back in town. Got all the parts in house so this past weekend I rebuilt my tranny and replaced the bad coil pack. I thought I had one but maybe not? After I got her all buttoned up she fired right up! No lights on the dash ! I was happy! Til today!!! Now it is back to hard starting and re starting plus check engine light is on again! WTF! I plugged in my laptop to diagnosis it and I am getting a P1301 trouble code again. Which I am assuming is a mis-fire on #1 cyl. ? If so why? What could cause this? Why would it burn out the whole pack! Help.....

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
Pull your valve cover check for a worn high lift cam lobe. Google search cam wear

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
this is an Esprit not an Elise/Exige! No high lift cam on Esprit.

The coil packs fire in batch mode, 2 spark plugs and 2 injectors fire at the same time for each piston in the compression stroke.

So if your wiring or one plug is bad it can take out a coil.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Hey guys... Finally back in town. Got all the parts in house so this past weekend I rebuilt my tranny and replaced the bad coil pack. I thought I had one but maybe not? After I got her all buttoned up she fired right up! No lights on the dash ! I was happy! Til today!!! Now it is back to hard starting and re starting plus check engine light is on again! WTF! I plugged in my laptop to diagnosis it and I am getting a P1301 trouble code again. Which I am assuming is a mis-fire on #1 cyl. ? If so why? What could cause this? Why would it burn out the whole pack! Help.....
Unlikely it was a coil pack problem in the first place. First thing to do is a compression check to make sure all of the cylinders are close. If that is OK then I would replace the spark plugs and ignition wires. Last thing to go for is the wiring to the coil pack and the coil pack itself. BTW, the code is just misfire, it does not tell you which cylinder. Is that the only code in there? Check again to see if you have any other codes that can help further define the problem.
David Teitelbaum

1 - 4 of 4 Posts