The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 Elise, stock, 10K, mostly track driven.
I am getting a bit of grind when I downshift into second gear. I've changed the transaxle fluid but that did not seem to help. It almost feels like the clutch is not fully engaging. Can I bleed or adjust the clutch?
I don't think it is just operator error. If I'm very, very deliberate it won't chatter but on the track, I'm always in a bit of a hurry.
I could take it in for warranty work but would rather fix it myself if I could.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Take it in if it is under warrenty. I mean that kind of stuff could be synchros, air in the lines, or binding in the shifting mechanism/cable adjustment.

I just redid my Letsla install (and where this many not seem like it is relevant, give it a sec) I learned that the cable lengths play a HUGE part in how well the tranny will shift into gear as well. So personally speaking if it is under warrenty, use the warrenty as it is most likely shifter adjustment, air in the lines, or bad synchros.

If you want to attempt the shifter adjustment on your own, look up the Letsla install process and then skip down to the lower half when he talks about removing the center console and then work on adjusting the shifter cables from that point. If it is like the 05's you will need two 10mm wrenches, and you will want to probably "lengthen" the cables no more than half to a full turn. But at the same time, this type of adjustment would normally suggest you are struggling with two gears and not just one.

Good luck.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Take it in if it is under warrenty. I mean that kind of stuff could be synchros, air in the lines, or binding in the shifting mechanism/cable adjustment. \
+1

I had a similar thing happen in my Exige S at 4.5k miles. Turned out to be the 2nd gear synchro.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
if you have a warranty always go with it.

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
I had the same issue with my TR4. I had my transmission rebuilt and within one month had shifting issues while downshifting. They were not happy my bringing it back, but I requested used parts in writing and syncros were bad. That is what the warranty is for though. You paid good money for it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the responses.

Will take in to dealer sometime in June.

Will post results.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well.....good news.

I did an extensive clutch bleed and the scratch in second gear is gone.

I did bleed out a lot of air bubbles.

So, I highly recommend a good bleed....of your clutch. It was very easy with a Motive power bleeder.

For now, good news.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm going to try and make it on Sunday the 24th. Hope to see ya there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have the same issue, if am carefull it goes into 2 gear fine if i rush it grinds, the rest of the gear changes are fine.. whats the best and cheapest option to try first to see if it resolvs the issue? any idea of costs would help as am sure the guy at the garage knows am not techy and charges me over the odds for stuff thats not needed.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
i have the same issue, if am carefull it goes into 2 gear fine if i rush it grinds, the rest of the gear changes are fine.. whats the best and cheapest option to try first to see if it resolvs the issue? any idea of costs would help as am sure the guy at the garage knows am not techy and charges me over the odds for stuff thats not needed.
Read up on the Letsla shifter kit. In the trouble shooting guide It will explain which shifter cable at the shifter you will/can adjust (play with) to try and take care of your 2nd gear slop.

That is my best suggestion (cheapest alternative), costs you nothing, you can do it your self, just need to remove the center console and then use two 10mm wrenches to pop the cable on and off and to adjust. Make a small adjustment, then take it for a drive witout the center console in place, if it good, then tighten it up and put it all back together, if it is not good, make another adjustment, etc...

I wish I could remember which one affects the 2nd gear placement, but off the top of my head I can't, sorry.

·
Premium Member
11,852 Posts
1st: How old is the b/f in clutch line?

2. Last time bled? a) is it time to change all brake fluid (an annual event here)?

3. what lube is in trans & how old? We mostly use Redline Mt-90(?), which shifts better than factory fill.

Only after these issues taken care of should you move to next steps.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just had the exact same problem with my 2005 except it was 3rd gear. It was the synchronizing ring. I pulled the tranny down, replaced the synchros, and went ahead and replaced the clutch and flywheel with the hd stuff in preperation for my vision function supercharger installation.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
if its smooth double clutching... likely a bad synchro. exasperated by floppy engine loads

1 - 18 of 18 Posts