The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was trying to install my Penske non-adjustable coilovers this afternoon and ran into a blocker. The supplied top mounts don't seem to clear to the joint at the top. Pic supplied. Can anybody suggest a remedy for this?

This appears to be the case for both front shocks and supplied mounts.

Note: I tried emailing BWR just now, but also doubling up here to see if there might be a quick answer. Just want to explore options before trying anything like hammering or filing down stuff.

Pic attached of the top of the front mount not sliding easily in the mounting bracket. I really wish I checked that first, but oh well. Only the rears in so far.

Attachments

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
Hello,

I was trying to install my Penske non-adjustable coilovers this afternoon and ran into a blocker. The supplied top mounts don't seem to clear to the joint at the top. Pic supplied. Can anybody suggest a remedy for this?

This appears to be the case for both front shocks and supplied mounts.

Note: I tried emailing BWR just now, but also doubling up here to see if there might be a quick answer. Just want to explore options before trying anything like hammering or filing down stuff.

Pic attached of the top of the front mount not sliding easily in the mounting bracket. I really wish I checked that first, but oh well. Only the rears in so far.
First of all, mention Fred @fzust I'd guess he and/or Alex (his wife) is off racing somewhere. They'll get back to you. She probably can out-wrench nearly anyone here. I remember when I bought the Penske DAs and ordered the race springs. She thought they were just fine for the street, and I agree. She's also an accomplished racer.

Obviously Fred is no slouch either. Zust Wins!

I don't have the non-adjustables, but hopefully someone will chime in that does.

San

·
7,598 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to mention that if you start a conversation with a forum member, that will generate an email to them, so that's a good idea. It is not necessarily the same email address you've already tried. Hope that helps.

San

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,377 Posts
I don’t have the non adjustable shocks and not sure if there are different bracket sizes. Make sure you have the top of the shock, I know it seems dumb to say but it happens. Also make sure the bushings are fully seated, mine didn’t take any force to put in though. Can you take some measurements for others to compare to?

Edit: looking at the pic again, are those used? The fit looks close and if used the bracket could have pinched enough to make the fit really tight.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise BRG
215 Posts
I haven't installed my SAs yet, waiting for winter to end and my friend to drop off his scales, but will look for this.
I don't think it would hurt to open the ears a bit. When you tighten the bolt it will close them in again. LostPawn also makes a good point to be sure the bushings are seated and didn't move during shipping.
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, I actually found that suggestion from a previous thread to spread the ears slightly with a bolt and two nuts. Worked like a charm and retorqued everything one the shock was on so all closed up.

Drove down my 5 mile back road where I test all my car suspension and the transformation is fantastic. Totally worth the money spent. I left the setup as delivered because I wanted to feel what the change in spring rate was gonna do first. The car is so flat and so responsive, all the stock lean is gone and I found my self taking that back road a good 10 mph faster over the stock just because it's so confidence inspiring.

Attachments

·
7,598 Posts
Thanks all, I actually found that suggestion from a previous thread to spread the ears slightly with a bolt and two nuts. Worked like a charm and retorqued everything one the shock was on so all closed up.

Drove down my 5 mile back road where I test all my car suspension and the transformation is fantastic. Totally worth the money spent. I left the setup as delivered because I wanted to feel what the change in spring rate was gonna do first. The car is so flat and so responsive, all the stock lean is gone and I found my self taking that back road a good 10 mph faster over the stock just because it's so confidence inspiring.
Awesome! Glad to hear everything is good. Thanks for updating the thread as it might help someone in the future.

I bought the Penske DAs when they were first introduced. Completely transformed the car. Fred really does a great job with the suspension for our cars. @fzust

San

·
Registered
434 Posts
Just now reading this with interest as I have the same thing ...only different! :ROFLMAO::sneaky:

I ordered some DA Penskes from BWR to use in SCCA AStreet class... catch is, you are NOT allowed to change brackets in essentially the stock class and I have been dealing with same thing because they REALLY won't fit in the stock brackets!
Fred has been helping me at my insistence as I am convinced that regardless how minor of issue locationwise it would be, I'm am very sure SCCA would not allow grinding cuts to fit the Penskes in Street class. I even found out there are TWO types of factory front upper mounts and one will fit with some minor custom milling of the shock tops by Penske. The other style (one piece) forget it, it's a no go, luckily I have the brackets that will "work". It's not even definite in the production run whether it's a "late" or "early" part, but that's another story.

Anyway, Fred has been great as I wanted them "pretty" after the milling and decided this right as Covid hit town and they are moving slowly through the channels. Fred has even had some more done for someone else in the same situation.

Glad you got yours on the road and love it... I look forward to the same in the next few weeks!!

·
7,598 Posts
Just now reading this with interest as I have the same thing ...only different! :ROFLMAO::sneaky:

I ordered some DA Penskes from BWR to use in SCCA AStreet class... catch is, you are NOT allowed to change brackets in essentially the stock class and I have been dealing with same thing because they REALLY won't fit in the stock brackets!
Fred has been helping me at my insistence as I am convinced that regardless how minor of issue locationwise it would be, I'm am very sure SCCA would not allow grinding cuts to fit the Penskes in Street class. I even found out there are TWO types of factory front upper mounts and one will fit with some minor custom milling of the shock tops by Penske. The other style (one piece) forget it, it's a no go, luckily I have the brackets that will "work". It's not even definite in the production run whether it's a "late" or "early" part, but that's another story.

Anyway, Fred has been great as I wanted them "pretty" after the milling and decided this right as Covid hit town and they are moving slowly through the channels. Fred has even had some more done for someone else in the same situation.

Glad you got yours on the road and love it... I look forward to the same in the next few weeks!!
Fred and Alex are great. I'd pay more for a product from them just to ensure I could count on them as a vendor. @fzust Please don't charge me double next time I need something. Talk is cheap, it takes money to buy whiskey. :)

San

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@fzust also did reach out to me yesterday to troubleshoot, but I had already resolved the blocker. Again, great support and great product.

I don't plan to need to buy more coilovers, but wouldn't hesitate to do it again if I suddenly had my hands on a second Lotus (my garage is full!).

Taking days off this week for some hill country carving, I've got a serious itch to drive now lol.

·
Vendor
3,269 Posts
Hi Guys, Thanks for the kind words! My only guess is that either the bushings weren't all the way in or the tabs on the brackets pulled in a few thousandths when the gusset was welded on top. I will test fit the set I send with future shocks as I build them.

6TVRs,(wow, really 6? You think Lotus guys are gluttons for punishment....) They should ship this week. The stock rules a so futher mucking stupid on that front. I've only written about 5 letters to the SEB about a simple fix, but remember CHANGE IS BAD!!!! :) But after much pain and suffering we will have them out. The valving is updated to the latest and greatest for Street Class. I have one more set of top mounts if someone feels the desire to play in SCCA Street AutoX.

ZALA, Really glad you like them! I've had everything on our street lotus from DA Race spec to Street. When I drove it back across country to SC, I put the Cruiser Pack streets on and enjoy it that way now. You did right to email me. I check that all the time, the forum less, and voicemail probably least of all. Since I don't sleep much, don't be surprised to see email replies at all hours.....

oldmansan, You're the boss! I am going to pass your kind words on to Alex. She is the unsung hero that keeps the wheels turning while I am tinkering. While I know small batch Burbon is the thing these days, I'll stick with 16 YO Lagavulin, Laphroig, Oban, and my old standby, The Macallan(RIP, NP) If you find your self out this way, I'll buy.....

·
7,598 Posts
Hi Guys, Thanks for the kind words! My only guess is that either the bushings weren't all the way in or the tabs on the brackets pulled in a few thousandths when the gusset was welded on top. I will test fit the set I send with future shocks as I build them.

6TVRs,(wow, really 6? You think Lotus guys are gluttons for punishment....) They should ship this week. The stock rules a so futher mucking stupid on that front. I've only written about 5 letters to the SEB about a simple fix, but remember CHANGE IS BAD!!!! :) But after much pain and suffering we will have them out. The valving is updated to the latest and greatest for Street Class. I have one more set of top mounts if someone feels the desire to play in SCCA Street AutoX.

ZALA, Really glad you like them! I've had everything on our street lotus from DA Race spec to Street. When I drove it back across country to SC, I put the Cruiser Pack streets on and enjoy it that way now. You did right to email me. I check that all the time, the forum less, and voicemail probably least of all. Since I don't sleep much, don't be surprised to see email replies at all hours.....

oldmansan, You're the boss! I am going to pass your kind words on to Alex. She is the unsung hero that keeps the wheels turning while I am tinkering. While I know small batch Burbon is the thing these days, I'll stick with 16 YO Lagavulin, Laphroig, Oban, and my old standby, The Macallan(RIP, NP) If you find your self out this way, I'll buy.....
Please do!

An old history teacher (Mr. Robinson) used to always say that (Talk is cheap, it takes money to buy whiskey) and I just thought it was funny. I'm typically a beer and maybe tequila sort myself.

San

·
Registered
70 Posts
Had the exact same problem a few weeks ago, installing my BWR Penske DA's. Just grabbed some big pliers and gave the brackets a yank. I do wish those brackets were test fitted before being sent out though :).

FWIW I also got new motor mounts recently and had to "persuade" those brackets as well. So I guess aftermarket parts and poorly fitting brackets is par for the course

·
7,598 Posts
Had the exact same problem a few weeks ago, installing my BWR Penske DA's. Just grabbed some big pliers and gave the brackets a yank. I do wish those brackets were test fitted before being sent out though :).

FWIW I also got new motor mounts recently and had to "persuade" those brackets as well. So I guess aftermarket parts and poorly fitting brackets is par for the course
FWIW my Penske DAs needed nothing but installation. I bought them as soon as they were available and they've probably been the best modification I've made. The support from Fred and Alex is superb. I think Fred has sent me the owner's manual at least three times.

I had an accident a month ago with my laptop and have a new one now. Took weeks to get it as everyone is working from home (but me). Anyway, I literally had to move things from my old laptop to the new and the owner's manual is saved in multiple locations. I told Fred long ago I'd try not to ask him to send it to me again.

San

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,377 Posts
FWIW my Penske DAs needed nothing but installation. I bought them as soon as they were available and they've probably been the best modification I've made. The support from Fred and Alex is superb. I think Fred has sent me the owner's manual at least three times.
My DAs fit straight out of the box too. Fred was very helpful with some other suspension questions and a transmission rebuild.

Anytime I order aftermarket parts or kits I do so with the understanding there might be some “fitment” needed on my end, rarely is it truly a bolt on.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I was in the original GB on the DA’s and I had to tweak at least one of the brackets, I don’t remember if it was one or both. No biggie, never bothered to mention it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Love my Penske - I have the SA - good enough - sad enough I still have not got a proper alignment or new tires - 2 years in total I drove 100 miles on the car . need to find more time!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts