The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So a moving truck ran into my exige. Which had, ironically been moved out onto the street to avoid this exact situation(yes, these are my movers)

Attaching a shot of the damage. I feel like this should be patchable fiberglass-wise. But the car is sprayed in dyc autoflex, and I'm more worried about the paint below. The car is arctic silver, and I'm guessing they'll need to rip the autoflex off the whole car to respray the clam after fixing it. My question is - how realistic is it that they'll be able to match the factory lotus color well enough to be indistinguishable in any lighting? My gut tells me that this is going to be somewhat impossible. Wondering how hard I need to push insurance to get them to do a full repaint of the car followed by a full autoflex respray.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Elise
157 Posts
I highly doubt any insurance is going to pay to have a car painted twice. My front clam has been repainted storm titanium and in some lights you can see a slight difference It was not blended.

Honestly here they should fiberglass repair the damage and then just blend the repaired area. if done properly then you will not be able to tell at all that it is new paint. I guess it would then be on you to either pull the rest of the autoflex off, or have the rear clam re-sprayed for the autoflex.

·
Administrator
7,564 Posts
I highly doubt any insurance is going to pay to have a car painted twice. My front clam has been repainted storm titanium and in some lights you can see a slight difference It was not blended.

Honestly here they should fiberglass repair the damage and then just blend the repaired area. if done properly then you will not be able to tell at all that it is new paint. I guess it would then be on you to either pull the rest of the autoflex off, or have the rear clam re-sprayed for the autoflex.
Depending on the insurance they might just repair to OEM color and finish.

Reactions: Varun916

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
48 Posts
I highly doubt any insurance is going to pay to have a car painted twice.
If you've got good insurance, they should. I once had a car that was pummeled by hail during a massive storm with every metal panel being dented, and the car was covered with Xpel Ultimate. Talked with an agent who told me that they would get the car back in the condition it was in before the storm hit, which included the PPF. They covered the removal of the PPF, removal of dents, and reapplying the PPF which alone was a $6000 job. I would think if I had AutoFlex the same would've applied.

·
Registered
549 Posts
The condition of the paint and how much UV exposure its had will impact the blend; not to mention metallic paint don't blend well in the first place. Be careful removing the autoflex, as you might pull some paint along the way. Have you considered repairing then redoing the autoflex?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the replies. It's comforting to hear that a double repaint may have a sliver of hope, however small. If they can blend the paint to make it seamless with the rest of the clam, I'd be totally good with that. But I fear this will be tough as tut4u2 mentions. That way I'd only need to get the rear clam re-autoflexed, which would be a much easier sell for insurance I'm sure. I guess it depends on how good the moving company's insurance is, since they're the ones who'll be footing this bill.

I suppose depending on how much the insurance is willing to pay out, I may consider just going to a full carbon clam. Had been considering that one day anyway.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The condition of the paint and how much UV exposure its had will impact the blend; not to mention metallic paint don't blend well in the first place. Be careful removing the autoflex, as you might pull some paint along the way. Have you considered repairing then redoing the autoflex?
Yeah, that's exactly what I want. But that said, the autoflex will eventually come off and I don't want a hideous looking paint job underneath. Not for this car.

Re: autoflex peeling paint - may have to be careful due to the damage, but I've had the car with dyc proline and autoflex of a different color before, and all times, it's peeled with zero issues whatsoever. The material is pretty amazing, tbh.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
My DD was plastidipped and I got backed into in a parking lot. I pushed the insurance company and they payed for the repair and also to re-plastidip the car.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Metallics can be hard to blend. I have spent most of the last 30 years working next door to various body shops[I love the smell of reducer in the morning...] consequently I can 'see' things others may not.

Sometimes a good blend is better than a panel match.

·
Registered
The Blue Meanie - 2006 Polar Blue Elise & Bernice - 2010 Chilli Red Mini Cooper S
1,297 Posts
Kill the truck driver would be my first option! LOL!

All kidding aside. sorry to hear it! My deepest condolences.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Metallics can be hard to blend. I have spent most of the last 30 years working next door to various body shops[I love the smell of reducer in the morning...] consequently I can 'see' things others may not.

Sometimes a good blend is better than a panel match.
Once you start being able to see paint imperfections, you start seeing them everywhere. It's crazy what some shops (and OEMs) consider "good enough". When I decided to repaint my car, one of the major reasons for going with Kawasaki green was the lack of metallics or pearl. When a shop painted my chrome orange, I thought it was good until I parked next to a factory CO car.

@Varun916 I'd agree that you're probably going to be much happier with the car if they just blend it well. If they do the whole clam, any difference in one panel to the other will be much more obvious than if the difference is gradually blended from the damage site. There's not a snowball's chance in hell of getting the whole car painted though. Forget cost, insurance can fall back on the fact they are contractually obligated to return the car to you in the pre-wreck state. If they fix all the pock marks in the front clam, for example, they are now returning it to you in a net improved state and can even threaten you with paying for the improvement. I forget the term, but I have personally been on the receiving end of all that, so it isn't just hypothetical. Go through your own insurance though and have them deal with the other company. Treat your insurance as a lawyer you pay to do the dirty work and then just stay out of it.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all, very much appreciate the help and support :) As I'm sure most of you understand, this car is so precious to me. Hard to sleep well knowing it's injured.

Pete - that's great info, thank you!\

cyow5 - excellent point about treating my insurance as my line of defense. Hadn't ever thought of it that way before. I just opened up a claim with allstate. Fingers crossed they go to bat for me!

I'll post back here with updates & the resolution.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts