The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suddenly find it very intersting that our natural inclination is to modify and change. Every other car I've owned, I've started modifying from day one. When I really think about it, everything starts with performance and then goes to other areas. Brakes, turbo, coils, rims, tires, aero bits etc. Then there is the other stuff that just piles on over time. . . .like to make your time in the car more pleasurable. . . beats and bass, V1, etc.

Odd thing with the Elise so far is that I have no desire to do anything. No need for handling improvements. No need for stereo upgrade (just turn it off and listen to the beautiful sound of performance). No need for wheels and tires. I don't need a glove box, storage space or a coin holder. All in need is a map, my shades, some curves and no real idea on when I'll be back.

Then I wonder, wouldn't in be nice if. . . . .

It's a slippery slope. lol.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Man I am glad you feel that way because I too have the tuners disease. I am amazed how much I have changed in my Miata. I keep telling myself that the reason I did all that modding is because I always really wanted an Elise but it was not available. So now I hope with one in my hands shortly I will be ever cured of the modders syndrome :clap: I think this car is going to be just about perfect

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Well in two+ years with the Exige I have changed the following:

1. Another set of OEM wheels and mounted 48's. The car came with 39's.

2. Motorsport intake piping which connects to the driver-side vent.

3. Magnecor spark plug wires

4. Short-shift kit

5. Dynamic 2-way adjustable dampers and Hypercoil springs

6. Ultra-close ratio gear kit (waiting to be installed)

7. AP Racing heavy duty clutch (required for #6 - also not installed yet)

8. Dial brake bias adjustment to replace the 5 position "lever" type adjustment (See below)

My Exige also came from the factory with the Motorsport Brake package (off of the Motorsport Elise). This included the larger rotors, calipers, seperate clutch/brake masters, SS brake lines, uprated rear toe-link and brake bias adjustment

Basically, me car is becoming more like a Motorsport Elise, but it is a track only car.

Not sure what else I will do other than full slicks. If the motor goes I'll probably increase the power on the rebuild as well.

For road use the Elise has higher limits than 99.9% of the drivers out there. No need to change anything.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Yeah, whatever. I said the same thing the first month of having my S2000. After the first month, I was looking for things to do to it. Those are famous last words. My bet is that you and I will mod our cars in someway very shortly after ownership. If not, that's only because we have our cars so soon that there is nothing made to put on the car as a mod yet. I'm not a DIYS type person. :p

Mod fever will strike, be it with an exhaust, a supercharger, rear L O T U S lettering, inside storage, a gullwing, etc. We will mod. Mark my words. :D

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I've modded every car I've owned and have gone nuts on my Passat.

Window Tint
Wetworks M3 Decklid Spoiler
Blue VW Emblem on Decklid
17" A8 Rims
Short Antenna
Neuspeed SofSports Springs
Bilstein Sport Shocks
Yokohama YK420 Tires
Neuspeed Rear Sway Bar
A6 Strut Tower Brace
Griot's Garage Fuel Guard
Clear Bra
Headlight Protectors
Removed Relay 173
Euro Switch
Wood Trim Kit
Aluminum trim for beltline
Momo Shift and EBrake Knobs
Blaupunkt New Orleans Minidisc HU
Blaupunkt In-dash CD Changer
Momo Component Speakers in back shelf w/amp
Alpine Amp
JL Stealthbox
GIAC Chip
K&N Filter
Mobil 1 0w-40 Oil
Wix 1333 Filter
Forge 007
Phillips Vision Plus Bulbs
Blue Tinted Aspherical Mirrors
W8 Sunroof Panel
Removed the Passat letters on back
Removed warning stickers from visors
New Beetle Sunglasses Holder
UUC Short Shifter

I'm not planning to do much on the Elise, but that's subject to change. I would like to get the gull wing hard top and I do waffle on whether or not to keep the lettering or replace it with the badge.

I have no plans to alter the suspension or change wheels/tires.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I expect to mod it eventually. But my goal is to keep it bone stock for at least one year. This is my third season autocrossing, and I haven't run a single event in Stock. This will change! Of course assuming that the Elise will be classed there.

After that, I hope to build it up slowly and with only the best parts.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
i think the first thing I'll do is get my rims & diffuser powdercoated black if I can't get them as an option by the time I order mine.

I also will get a short-shift kit. I didn't like the long throws of the stock stick.

Will drop weight & increase HP eventually.

What's under the shifter and handbrake housing? Can we just remove it completely?

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
WTF...? Have you guy all forgotten this is a LOTUS. You know 5 time F1 champs, creators of the venturi tunnel and the best handling cars in the world. Why change something that is already well balanced and almost perfection. This car "bone Stock" is more than most of us can handle. Unless you guys are hardcore racers, I just don't see the point, it is almost a sacrilege! But whatever floats your boats.

Neil

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
shay2nak said:
I also will get a short-shift kit. I didn't like the long throws of the stock stick.
:huh: You've got to be F#cking kidding me!... WTF Man???????????????????????????????????????

Neil

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Little Bastard said:
:huh: You've got to be F#cking kidding me!... WTF Man???????????????????????????????????????

Neil
i'm not kidding, the S2000 had WAY shorter throws than the Elise.
It's like shifting in my Civic.

This is based on the Elise at the LA auto show.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
The best, absolutely most valuable improvement / "mod" any of us can make*,is to get some good performance driving training, and then get some more good performance driving training, and then get some perfo....

*Unless you happen to be a professional race car driver, in which case, go ahead and get those 20" spinners ! :p

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
shay2nak said:
i'm not kidding, the S2000 had WAY shorter throws than the Elise.
It's like shifting in my Civic.

This is based on the Elise at the LA auto show.
Hey Ara
There is a very good reason the throws are longer in certain cars. Please don't do it... for the love of God... If you need an explanation PM me.

Neil

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Little Bastard said:
Hey Ara
There is a very good reason the throws are longer in certain cars. Please don't do it... for the love of God... If you need an explanation PM me.

Neil
check your PM

·
Registered
963 Posts
Little Bastard said:
Hey Ara

Neil
Due to me also having a S2000, I like the short throws also. What is bad about short throws? :confused:

·
Registered
413 Posts
short throws bad?

yeah, what's bad about short throws? Then again, I've never driven a short-shifter modded car so what are the advantages?

The Elise has a rather tall lever- will this make a difference?

I didn't notice anything "wrong" with the Euro-version 5-speed I took on a demo ride, but I am waiting to see what the 6-speed will be like. Improved, I'm told.

Thanks for your input --- "Short-Shifter Neophyte"

·
Registered
44 Posts
Little Bastard said:
Hey Ara

Neil
Why don't you fill all of us in, since there are several people who would like to know the answer to that question.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
tidalwdave said:
What is bad about short throws? :confused:
Increased shifting effort?
Increased wear on the synchros (you can move things faster)?
Less precision on a cable operated shifter mechanism?
Pump up the muscle in only the right arm because of the increased effort?
Easier to select the wrong gear and over-rev on a downshift?
Increased movement of you right arm away from the steering wheel to reach down to the shifter?
Cost of the short shift kit?

I dunno...

The Euro spec 111s I test drove shifted just fine...

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
genieman17 said:
Why don't you fill all of us in, since there are several people who would like to know the answer to that question.
Ok, here what I learned from a endurance racer... I am going to see if I can keep it simple.
Very Short shift kit like AC Snitzer, have quicker throw. But they aren't as precise, let me explain. Especially with a hi revving car, say you are at 7700 rpm in 4th and want to go into 3rd, you are more likely to accidentally mis-shift into 1st since the throw is soo short, notchy and quick, while as with a slightly longer throw, you have time to heel, toe, blurp the throttle and engage the shift in rhythm. My friend went on the say that ultimately it is all about rhythm, and even if you look at the more recent Porsches they have fairly "long" throws.

And listen guys, I don't know if there is a rule book on why there shouldn't or should be a short shift kit. I try to spend most of my time in the presence of people that race or drive cars as a passion. I try to learn as much as I can from them. And the ones who have driven the Elise have told me the car is pretty much perfection when it comes to balance, driving enjoyment. What they did recommend I do is go to as many driving or racing school as I can... Like I said, this is my .02.

Neil

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Of the current model Porsches I've driven, all have had long throws. After an afternoon, it became second nature and very enjoyable, as it feels very smooth. Hell, I enjoyed the Euro car's rubbery glory immensely. LA cars seemed notchy, but they are both abused and not running.

- J (who only has automatics at home currently :()

1 - 20 of 24 Posts