The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled on the yellow trunk release, then closed the lid. Now a key will not open the trunk/boot. I can lift the edges but that is about it (cannot open). Any ideas on how I can correct this problem?

Thanks.

MHC

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To make matters worse, when I was able to get a hold of the little yellow "T" handle, it came off the hook. So now I can't use that. I am thinking of trying to remove either the let or right louver by pitching the end of the plastic grommets and pushing them through and then I might be able to get to the mechanism.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Mine’s not yellow, as for why this would make the trunk not open????

Just went out to look at my car.
This is a guess; something’s loose (no sh*t). The pull thing is spring loaded and should have nothing to do with the trunk not opening. I would also think that if the pull was not working the trunk would not lock (stay closed).

Outside of spraying some lube in to the lock and give the key another try with a bit of force, I have no idea what to do. Maybe just a bit of dirt or such in it.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I had something similar happen to me one time where the key would not open the trunk. Don't know why it happened, but I had to pull the emergency release and it worked fine after that. Unfortunately, that doesn't sound like an option here. Hope it works out for you!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Someone else on this site had a lock problem and went a bit crazy drilling holes in the lock. Don’t remember how this was fixed but you can try a search to see how he finally got in to his trunk.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The whole thing makes no sense. If it was locked, then the key would open. it If it was released, then it would not lock. I think it must be stuck inbetween locked and open.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Does the key turn and the lock doesn’t work, or the key not move he lock at all? Not that this will give me any ideas.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It would appear when I pulled the lever that not only did it disconnect, but the spring that is on the other side also did. So in essence, the key mechanism is totally disconnected or free wheeling from the lock assembly. I think my only choice is to remove the louver. Has anyone done this????

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The louvers are clip or snap on in the front but screwed on in the back. As in, in the trunk to get to the bolts. However if you can lift up the front of the louvers without messing anything up, there are two 4mm alien screws that hold the latch together. If you can unscrew these two the latch may (I’m not 100% on this, this is a guess) fall apart.

Of course this thread will need to be erased so as any would be thief cant do whatever works.

Don’t know how you will reach the latch maybe a ¼ in drive set with an alien tip.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am hoping once I remove the plastic grommets on the front on the right hand louvre, I can then release the catch, and get the lid open. Then I can take the assembly out and do the modification according to the link in my past post.

I understand that this little release is the law, but if you are going to adhere to it, then make the bloody thing work as the Brits would say. My advise to anyone is not to touch the lever as it is must have been designed by some former employees of Lucas.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts