The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone know if you can fit a v6 or v8 in the elise with a trunk delete.

Some car friends/car enthusiasts casually mentioned it the other day and it got me thinking.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Just curious if anyone know if you can fit a v6 or v8 in the elise with a trunk delete.

Some car friends/car enthusiasts casually mentioned it the other day and it got me thinking.
absolutely...

you can fit anything into anything if you have enough $/patience/ability/tools

out of curiosity, are you just asking for sh!ts & giggles? or are you contemplating doing this type of swap in the future?

cause the rule of thumb is... if you have to ask if it fits than you are not prepared to do the swap :D

·
Registered
935 Posts
re: Engine conversions

New Elise not sold here comes with a V6 from Toyota, although Lotus extended the wheelbase...

Somebody here did a Toyota V6 conversion into a 4-cylinder car.

Elise just has a front-wheel drive drive-train in the back instead of in the front. It is just like a Fiero. So any FWD drive-train should fit... V6 is actually shorter and not that much wider than a 4-cylinder.

The compromise is the weight distribution and the angle of the half-shafts... Also the chassis is kind-of narrow by the firewall... Also in any FWD the transmission seems to be the power limiting factor...

Somebody here was contemplating a V8 from FWD Impala. Then switched to a GM FWD 3.8l V6, since those come with an F40 6-speed. F40 is cheap and strong. The same drivetrain is was used in Ecotec cars and Ecotec was used in VX220 sister car.

Fiero's have V6 and V8 swaps...

Anything is possible as long as you have enough $$$.

However, a simple Honda or Ecotec swap with a good turbo will give you unlimited power for the chassis, anyway.

I always thought that a Subaru drive-train would be ideal... Easy access to lots of power and reliability from Cossworth for both motor and tranny... low center of gravity...but nobody ever tried...

Anton

Anton

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good info guys. Thanks.

driftwood - chits' and giggles at the moment, but long term maybe i'll try it.

I bought the car thinking I'd do a Honda swap in 2 years time, but I dunno... Maybe I'll change it out with something greater...

I just went over 10k miles this last weekend, so the current engine has a lot left on it...

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was looking at the atom engines this morning too and saw that Hartley. 500hp in the 2012 model.

looks like fun.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Honestly... and this is just hearsay so take it for what its worth... but I have heard the Hartleys look a lot better on paper than they perform in the real world. From what I have heard they are designed well for track use, but even then require frequent rebuilds. For any vehicle that sees street duty they are a poor choice. Not reliable enough.

As mentioned earlier.. truthfully forced induction on modern 4-cylinder really provides for more power than the chassis/driver realistically needs anyway. IMHO the only reason I would like a 6 or 8 would be to have a naturally aspirated setup. Can make the power of the FI 4-cylinder while providing the best possible response and dynamics, yet without the worries of heat soak. Also nice to have a simple setup: Intake, Engine, Exhaust.

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
I wonder what the extra wejght in the back would do to handling without lengthening the wheelbase? Also think there would be a height issue with a V-8.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts