The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would one of you lucky souls that actually has a car be kind enough to measure the trunk for me?

My wife and I hope to pick up our car from the dealer next week (1.5 hrs away) and leave for a weekend trip. What size bag can we take?

We have one semi-formal night ... So will need room for a suit, evening dress, shoes, etc., along with casual clothes. Am wondering if fitting all this is going to be a real hassle? Maybe I should FedEx the stuff to the hotel?

Thanks, Steve
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,941 Posts
You can fit two medium sized soft pieces of luggage that are not jammed and bursting at the seams. This will take up most of the space and likely leave you with no space to store the soft top. Should you want to drive top down with the luggage in place. It might be doable though. From what you mention you'll be packing, it should be fine even with top storage. I think that the actual cubic footage is about 4 or 5.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,293 Posts
it is 27" wide at the top and 14" front to back at the widest point 22"accross as it narrows and 9"-10" deep but the exhaust manifold encroaches a bit.


I think that you should be looking at something like this for your casual and fedex the other.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,269 Posts
Patricko said:
it is 27" wide at the top and 14" front to back at the widest point 22"accross as it narrows and 9"-10" deep but the exhaust manifold encroaches a bit.


I think that you should be looking at something like this for your casual and fedex the other.

Can you confirm that the
bag in the front of the photo is trimmed
in Saffron Yellow?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,941 Posts
>>>it is 27" wide at the top and 14" front to back at the widest point 22"accross as it narrows and 9"-10" deep but the exhaust manifold encroaches a bit. <<<

Isn't that the opening to access the trunk? The trunk extends from fender to fender and from trunk firewall to the rear of the car, past the opening in width and length is what I'm trying to get across.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,311 Posts
I forgot to take a pix at LOG, but Chris would have lost a bet had we made a bet...

2 duffles about 23-24" long (like those above) - clothes for 2 for 4 days
Helmet
laptop backpack briefcase
top (don't put in the storage bag), this allows it to flatten
LOG bag

The trick is that soft stuff can be shoved in behind the battery on the left and up over the fenderwell on the right. I got the 2 duffles & helmet under the bodywork area and left the area exposed to the boot opening for the top & briefcase.

Kiyoshi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,293 Posts
Stan said:
>>>it is 27" wide at the top and 14" front to back at the widest point 22"accross as it narrows and 9"-10" deep but the exhaust manifold encroaches a bit. <<<

Isn't that the opening to access the trunk? The trunk extends from fender to fender and from trunk firewall to the rear of the car, past the opening in width and length is what I'm trying to get across.
Yes it is the opening and that is what the bag will have to pass through...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
quote:

"Can you confirm that the
bag in the front of the photo is trimmed
in Saffron Yellow?"

It appears to be! and one could sew a Lotus logo patch over their "Eiffel Tower" logo.
 

·
Forum Mop
Joined
·
612 Posts
khamai said:
I forgot to take a pix at LOG, but Chris would have lost a bet had we made a bet...

2 duffles about 23-24" long (like those above) - clothes for 2 for 4 days
Helmet
laptop backpack briefcase
top (don't put in the storage bag), this allows it to flatten
LOG bag

The trick is that soft stuff can be shoved in behind the battery on the left and up over the fenderwell on the right. I got the 2 duffles & helmet under the bodywork area and left the area exposed to the boot opening for the top & briefcase.

Kiyoshi
you fit ALL of that in the trunk?!?! WOW!

i was debating on bringing my helmet down to TX with me to do a track day, but now it looks like i might be able to do it.

i'm bringing someone back with me for the trip home, so i cant' throw anything in the passenger footwell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
ace3 said:
i'm bringing someone back with me for the trip home, so i cant' throw anything in the passenger footwell.
Actually, you probably could. That footwell is so long, there's really room for a duffle or something up front, tucked in over the footrest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts
Supposedly, the trunk is about 4 cubic feet. So, measure your stuff and make sure most of it is flexible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,311 Posts
The duffels work, but someone suggested smaller bags. That's really the trick. I had 2 duffels, but we had a few hotel laundry bags in them with cloths that I took out of the duffels. That allowed me to shove them behind the battery and over the rightside wheel arch.

Check your helmets, they are not all the same size. I have a Bell Sport III, that I layed on its side and slid it under the trunk lip (gently, it is VERY tight).

Kiyoshi
 

·
Forum Founder
Joined
·
29,081 Posts
And put stuff inside the helmet. You can place a small not-too-stuffed bag behind the passenger seat. Maybe 4" thick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
I use "compression bags" when I travel. They are like giant zip loc bags that have one way valves. you put in the clothes and roll the bags and the air is pushed out through the one way valve. They really compress things like fleece and sweaters. I use them socks and underwear too.

I think they are made by Eagle Creek, but you can find them wherever they have a good luggage section. They can really help maximize the available space.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top