The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this, I'll be doing a bunch of work tomorrow and it would make is so much easier if I the lid was removed.

Any instructions or pics would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Unfortunately, the Repair Manual only covers the Elise engine lid in any detail, and only glosses over the Exige tailgate. These pics may help:

Picture 3.png
Picture 4.png
Picture 5.png
Picture 6.png

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greg thanks the schematic.

I can see a few bolts that attach the boot
to the hinges however I'm just unsure about the piece that holds the thing that locks and hold the boot up?

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
This is so simple. Just 2 bolts and it comes right off. Make sure that you dont loose the washers. It should take you 5 min.

·
Registered
271 Posts
To pop off the strut, you will see a small retaining clip on the back of the piece that can be pryed off with a screwdriver in 5 seconds. After you get that off, the end of the strut just slides off the mounting ball that it locks on to.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Best to have a second set of hands to assist. The lid weights a ton and can be awkward to remove by yourself. I typically start by removing 1 of the 2 screws on each side (4 screws total). Make sure to capture the shims and keep them in their correct position on re installation. Then I loosen the other 2 bolts and right before they are off I pop the clip off the strut. Then finish by removing the 2 remaining screws completely and sliding the strut off the lid. Re-installation is a bit more tricky but basically the reverse order with some alignment added on. Hope that helps. Oh and do yourself a favor and tape off the edges of the lid and the area surrounding the lid on the rear clam. This will prevent chips and scratches since you will likely rub the lid on the clam a little at some point.

Cheers,

Brian

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all, I managed to remove it myself, and will be re-installing it by the end of week - very straight forward.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Great tips, I will be doing this once I get my CF lid from the esta group buy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts