The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am getting ready to purchase an 05 Elise with really low mileage. The previous owner has disassembled the trunk down to basically the subframe. When that was done it took away the supporting structure for the trunk latch. I have not had any luck finding a picture or part number to see how it was taken apart. Has anyone on here done this and posted pictures. I don't mind that it is taken apart, but I want to resupport the trunk latch. I would prefer to do it so it at the very least looks professional. So, I am wondering if there was some sort of stock brace that he removed or cut. I have attached a picture. You will notice on the top right of the picture there is an aluminum piece of metal which was cut. This piece seems to have attached the latch area to something else. Thanks for your help.

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
This is a really stupid question, but you don't really mean "truck" do you? Do you mean the hatch over the engine? Its just that you spelled "truck" three times..

Oh, and really low mileage doesn't mean much if the car has been butchered. Unless he is giving you a screaming good price I would walk away, who knows what other silly things he has done to the car.

·
Registered
514 Posts
This is a really stupid question, but you don't really mean "truck" do you? Do you mean the hatch over the engine? Its just that you spelled "truck" three times..
Ha, I read (and reread) the same thing... I'm guessing he means trunk.

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
lol, damn how did I do that. Yes I meant trunk. Sorry it's been a long day.
No worries. But really there are better cars out there unless he is giving you a screaming good deal. BTW, I bet those were a pretty hard 7500miles.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I just found another picture. This shows the same bracket. Please don't butcher me. I wasn't the original one to perform this mod.

I didn't understand this picture until I saw the other thread. This is looking through a hole in the rear clam where the L O T U S letters would be.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
There was entire sub-structure that formed the trunk, that has been removed. The latch would have been attached to to this. It would have been directly under the keyhole in the engine cover.

Chrome orange used clams aren't that hard to find. That's probably your best bet if you want it back to original. You might find a discarded trunk, but I bet most went directly in the trash, and it would be a mess to glass one back on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts