The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up my 2007 Elise on Saturday, by Saturday afternoon I had my first failure. :( I put the key in the trunk lock, it turned and made an odd noise, then I had no resistance in either direction. No amount of pulling or pushing on the lid while working the key has helped, it certainly seems like the lock has become detached from the rod that releases the latch. I managed to prop the lid open and yank on the emergency release handle with a coat hanger, no luck. I pulled hard enough to unbend the hanger, I expect that was enough force. An old thread suggested the emergency release would not work if the connecting rod had failed.

So what are my options? Can the vents in the lid be removed from the outside? Would this even get me access to the latch mechanism? I have an appointment at the "local" Lotus dealer for Wednesday but would much rather not take the time off work for this.

Finally, are failures with the trunk lock common? I would really have been up the creek if I had put the top back there, so I'm a bit worried about it now. I saw a thread about an electric release, not sure if that or some other option is worth considering.

Thanks for any ideas,
Paul

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
hold on one sec i have a thread for you... let me find it

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
i ended up having to braking both louver fins.

good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice and info so far, I've made some progress but seem to have hit a wall. I've taken the 10mm nut off (#20 in the diagram above) but how is it possible to get the #17 pin to push out of the bracket holding it to the frame of the car? I can get it to wiggle if I push on the trunk but there seems to be no chance of doing much more than that.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
ok, the shaft is keyed... its a squared off oval that fits vert snuggly in the slot. i kept playing with trunk lid, wiggling it, pushing on it, till it came loose. also i was able to knock the back of the pin with the handle of the socket wrench a bit. be careful,however!!! it was all the wiggling that ruined the alignment of my trunk lid.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've given up, I'm taking the car in tomorrow to have the dealer try. Of course the nut from the pin fell down into the engine but other than that I didn't cause any additional problems.

·
Registered
952 Posts
i ended up having to braking both louver fins.

good luck
That's what worked for me. I did have to do some wiggling to get the pin to pop. After getting the lid open, I used the wire from the emergency release to connect the latch mechanism more solidly. Here are pictures of how I rigged it: Link

1 - 10 of 10 Posts