The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'06 Exige
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have also had the rear tire rub the trunk release cable and wear away the plastic housing. I ordered a new cable from Lotus Garage and have unscrewed the trunk latch and the cockpit lever to free up both ends. Problem is that the cable seems to be stuck where it goes thru the aluminum rear cockpit wall. I can push it into the grommet from the engine bay, but it only flexes into the intermediate compartment and "springs" back when I release it. I plan to try moving the cable again after I receive the new cable and will fully disconnect the release and latch.

Does anyone know why the cable would be sticking as it goes thru the rear cockpit wall?

I did a search and couldn't find anything. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
'06 Exige
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess there aren't that many Exige owners who have had to replace their trunk release cables.

For future search purposes, the trunk release cable did not slide easily because the small hole in the bulkhead is drilled at a right angle to the panel and the cable has to slide horizontal to the floor. The cable was pinched by the sharp edge of the bulkhead hole making it very difficult to slide. Once I was able to forcefully pull the cable out from the engine compartment side, I redrilled the bulkhead hole at a more horizontal angle. It was still a two-man job to fish the new cable in from the engine compartment side. My stepson had to catch the inside of the empty cable with an awl and guide it thru the bulkhead hole as I pushed it from the engine compartment side.

Just for future reference...

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I noticed the placement of the cable through the driver's side wheel well very early on, and zip tied it to the upper shock mount to keep it away from the tire. Something to consider with your new one to prevent the same issue in the future.

xtn

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I noticed the placement of the cable through the driver's side wheel well very early on, and zip tied it to the upper shock mount to keep it away from the tire. Something to consider with your new one to prevent the same issue in the future.

xtn
ditto. I noticed it rubbing and zip tied it out of the way. no idea on how to get it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts