The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opened my trunk today for first time since battery was installed by AAA. The driver side strut is totally bent and off the bolt. Two questions - can someone link me to a replacement part? How could this happen?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,101 Posts
Just conjecture, but if your Esprit has a wing :no: <giggle> then the AAA guy probably didn't know he had to lift-to-unlock it...he prob just forced it down.

There are plenty of cross-references to liftgate struts, but the easiest thing to do is to buy from the Usual Lotus Parts Suspects. Replace both BTW.

The part number is going to be different depending on whether it is the locking or non-locking one, or if you have a hatch-mounted wing or not. Remember, the strut also carries electricity for the rear defroster ,and sometimes the CHMSL.

I'd also inspect for fiberglass damage where the bent strut mounts on the hatch. :(

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I've bought struts from these guys - they list specific struts for Esprits:

Lift Supports Systems | Hood | Window | Trunk | Hatch | Auto Parts By Lou

The struts are held in place with "ball and socket" joints. They are retained by a spring clip. It is possible to pop them off or bend them with a very sharp blow or excessive lateral loading. Be very careful as when the hood or hatch is closed they are under a lot of load. If they pop off when they are under load they can do a lot of damage. Remove and replace that damaged one right away. Do not attempt to re-use it or straighten it. If you are not confident to do this yourself have a mechanic do it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. AAA came back out, removed the damaged strut and will come install replacement once they get the part. Glad they agreed. The tech didn't know he broke it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
36 Posts
I realize this is an old thread but wanted to update it as I came across this when trying to search for struts for my trunk. Here's what I installed from Amazon for under $30USD per set. They work great and fit perfect:

Different ranges in case you have spoiler on lid vs not on lid, etc...
No code has to be inserted here.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
While these may fit and hold up the boot, they do not carry the electrical circuit like the OEM struts if you need it. If necessary you could add a wire instead of using the strut to carry the electric. Also by using struts strong enough to hold the trunk open they are a lot more powerful than the original struts. The hold-open feature was so even if the struts get weak the trunk will stay open. Of course the obvious problem when someone who doesn't know about the hold-open tries to force the trunk closed and damages things.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
36 Posts
While these may fit and hold up the boot, they do not carry the electrical circuit like the OEM struts if you need it. If necessary you could add a wire instead of using the strut to carry the electric. Also by using struts strong enough to hold the trunk open they are a lot more powerful than the original struts. The hold-open feature was so even if the struts get weak the trunk will stay open. Of course the obvious problem when someone who doesn't know about the hold-open tries to force the trunk closed and damages things.
David Teitelbaum
Yeah, forgot to mention the electrical part. If you still need to do that then just unscrew the end and move the little electrical tab from the old strut to the new one. Never hurts to take some sandpaper and make sure bare metal is exposed when putting tab on also. New struts were a little beefier so tab had to be reamed out with a drill bit a little.. in all it only took an extra 5 mins if you need to move electrical tab also.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,101 Posts
Rear window defog, and CHMSL if fitted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts