The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm currently running a BOE Silent touch on a VF supercharged 06 Elise. The sound is nice, but I miss having the sound of my former N/A Elise that had some kind of dual tip muffler that just wailed at the cam switch over (might have been a Larini, I'm not sure). I mostly hear supercharger whine and (to me) just some low pitched exhaust sound when powering through the gears.

So... I'm giving either a BOE Quarter Stick or the Inokinetic Sonicfury some real thought when I make my Lotus "tune-up" purchases early next year. Anybody have any thoughts or experience between the two?

Planning to swap my stock suspension to a BWR non-adjustable penske street/track setup, from my Lotus cast wheels on Continental all-seasons (ECS DWS) to my Exige S260 wheels with proper summer rubber, and a brake refresh. Hoping to round it all out with a nice sound change for a overall noticeable transformation.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Quarter stick is the loudest "muffler" I've ever heard. Here's a vid of my car with it and a 13psi Rev 400 kit. It was terrible.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Quarter stick is the loudest "muffler" I've ever heard. Here's a vid of my car with it and a 13psi Rev 400 kit. It was terrible.

I realize this is a 3 month old post. But I am am in the process of installing the Rev400 kit, and the BoE clam hinge. So I will need to upgrade my exhaust. I was pretty sold on the quarter stick because I had seen your video in another thread. It sounded great through my headphones. You're saying you hated it?

·
Super Moderator
Exige S260
1,842 Posts
Too loud sometimes is not a good thing, totally a personal preference.
When driving my Exige with the Stage II exhaust, at full engine warm up @ 80mph highway drive, it gets so loud I had to wear ear plugs :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I realize this is a 3 month old post. But I am am in the process of installing the Rev400 kit, and the BoE clam hinge. So I will need to upgrade my exhaust. I was pretty sold on the quarter stick because I had seen your video in another thread. It sounded great through my headphones. You're saying you hated it?
If it helps any... I actually backed off of touching my ST after driving around my supercharged NC Miata with a race muffler for a couple of weeks. Super loud for the streets and at first it was my exciting than annoying. Then I did a hillcountry drive with my local Miata group and got thoroughly spent on ever wanted one again. It just gets really tiring after a couple of hours fully warmed up from the constant blast (I literally felt drained).

So kept with my ST and all my other street mufflers on the other cars. Saved the money I would have spent!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I ran for a short time with a "homemade" 4.5" x 17" muffler which might actually be a little shorter than the QS. At idle, it sounded aggressive but not super-loud. While cruising at very light throttle, it was surprisingly quiet. The problem was that any amount of throttle input caused an ear-numbing drone that just got louder the further you pressed the accelerator down. This was with the top off, mind you; I never tried it with the top on. The drone occurred at any RPM up until 5-6k rpm where it went away and was replaced with the pure bliss of sounding like you're in a race car going down the front straight at Sebring. I loved it 5% of the time and hated it the rest. One positive was that it caused me to drive much less exuberantly through residential areas.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Adding to this thread instead of making my own - I installed the Sonicfury DE over the weekend. Installation was rather straight forward although I had a heck of a time getting the exhaust straight. I'm not sure if the exhaust hanger on the driver side was getting hung up (I didn't loosen that clamp) or if it was the cat-pipe to exhaust fitment. It's not totally centered, .25-.5" off, but good enough from 5 foot away.

I've not had an upgraded or aftermarket exhaust on any vehicle before so I wasn't sure what to expect. It took me a day to get used to it and form an opinion and WOW it is amazing the difference in sound and tone this thing makes. Other comments aren't lying about the characteristic changing when you get on the throttle. I was definitely giggling after running through the gears! Be prepared for a lot of exhaust burble. For a while I was getting paranoid that there was some packing material in the exhaust pipe that causing a problem - I didn't look in the inlet pipe prior to installing.

I concur that the exhaust is very similar in terms of loudness if keeping the throttle steady and not high in the rev range. I haven't driven it enough on the freeway at extended periods to determine if I think a drone exists or not. If I'm driving that long I usually have an audio book going to my headphones. I'll try to track the car once or twice this year and hopefully have a tireless ear afterwards.

Definitely a happy customer so far!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts