The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Deciding which to buy
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone. I've always been a Lotus fan. Other kids in the '80's liked Ferrari's and Lamborghini's, but I was always partial to the Esprite and the early Elan. Since it's inception, I've been craving and Elise. But I'm not sure which one I prefer!?

My father and I have always shared each others vehicles, and I've been enjoying his 2000 S1, with stroked B16B: 198hp. I was actually shopping for an Elise when he bought his about 4 years ago, but I laid off on the hunt since I was able use his when I needed my fix. Most pictures I see of the S1 make the car look cheeky, but when I see it in person, I love it. I wish the car had AC, that would allow me to drive it in comfort during the 100 degree summer temps. I've thought about looking into adapting an AC unit from an '07 and later S2.... It's been awhile since I've driven and S2. Unfortunately I wasn't able to put it through the motions on my test drive, but the one thing I remember; it definitely didn't have that awesome sound of the V-Tec kicking in... I'm still just running all the pros and cons through my head on S1vS2vS3.... Here are some pics of the S1:

·
Less is Better
2,790 Posts
For the most part, in the US, we don't have a choice. I love the styling and low weight of the S1 but the things that added weight in the S2 were worth it IMO. Except for the AC, which has a reputation for not working. My car has 5000 miles and hasn't worked for years.

I had a B17 in my Integra GS-R years ago. Great engine, but the 2zz in the Elise has more torque and alot more exhaust volume.

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
I looked into retro fitting AC into an S1 when researching which car to buy going as far as ringing Lotus to talk about it... and the conclusion is that it really isn't feasible as the car would have to be virtually stripped to do it. I ended up buying an S2 with AC (which has worked for the 7 years I've owned the car :))

·
Registered
356 Posts
"I wish the car had AC, that would allow me to drive it in comfort during the 100 degree summer temps."

how many 100 degree days do you have in Alaska anyway?????

·
Deciding which to buy
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
For the most part, in the US, we don't have a choice. I love the styling and low weight of the S1 but the things that added weight in the S2 were worth it IMO. Except for the AC, which has a reputation for not working. My car has 5000 miles and hasn't worked for years.
What other benefit do you see in the S2 other than the AC?

When I was avidly searching a few years back, the dealer told me they upgraded the AC in 2007... Is that true?

·
Deciding which to buy
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"I wish the car had AC, that would allow me to drive it in comfort during the 100 degree summer temps."

how many 100 degree days do you have in Alaska anyway?????
My wife and I moved up here for the Army, so we plan to be back in the lower 48 as soon as two years... Plus you need AC to get the full benefit out of your defroster.

·
Deciding which to buy
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked into retro fitting AC into an S1 when researching which car to buy going as far as ringing Lotus to talk about it... and the conclusion is that it really isn't feasible as the car would have to be virtually stripped to do it. I ended up buying an S2 with AC (which has worked for the 7 years I've owned the car :))
Thanks for the info, that will save me a lot of time in research. So I suppose that answers one of my questions. If I buy the S1, then I live with it as it is and enjoy it. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

·
Less is Better
2,790 Posts
What other benefit do you see in the S2 other than the AC?

When I was avidly searching a few years back, the dealer told me they upgraded the AC in 2007... Is that true?
ABS, airbags, brake booster, a little sound insulation in the chassis and top, better sealing top. The only thing I've got that I don't need, aside from AC, is the power windows. How do you expect to find an S1? They're not legal on the street in the US.

·
Deciding which to buy
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
ABS, airbags, brake booster, a little sound insulation in the chassis and top, better sealing top. The only thing I've got that I don't need, aside from AC, is the power windows. How do you expect to find an S1? They're not legal on the street in the US.
The red S1 I pictured above is my father's. That's me driving it. It's totally street legal. It's one of the cars Sun International imported and built to be street legal (thus it's titled as a Sun International Spyder). I don't know how many they did, but I've seen maybe five S1's legally titled for the street, I assume they are all Sun International cars...

With that said, maybe I should stick with the S1 since it is more "unique"...

·
Less is Better
2,790 Posts
The red S1 I pictured above is my father's. That's me driving it. It's totally street legal. It's one of the cars Sun International imported and built to be street legal (thus it's titled as a Sun International Spyder). I don't know how many they did, but I've seen maybe five S1's legally titled for the street, I assume they are all Sun International cars...

With that said, maybe I should stick with the S1 since it is more "unique"...
I bet they didn't get many more than five imported, it makes the S2 seem common. I thought the SunInternational cars were all B18c5's. Most of us will never get to drive an S1. Try an S2 and see if you like it. It's nice to have the options.

·
Deciding which to buy
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I bet they didn't get many more than five imported, it makes the S2 seem common. I thought the SunInternational cars were all B18c5's. Most of us will never get to drive an S1. Try an S2 and see if you like it. It's nice to have the options.
Good point.
Sun Int'l doesn't mention the B16B. Introduction: Honda-Elise by Sun Speed Ours has the B16B stroked with the B18 crank. Maybe it was customer specified!? Actually, the website says "Winter 2011 - the B18C conversion is available". Which I believe supports my original information that the cars were originally certified for the street with the B16 engine, and since then, they have upgraded the conversions....

·
Less is Better
2,790 Posts
Actually, the website says "Winter 2011 - the B18C conversion is available". Which I believe supports my original information that the cars were originally certified for the street with the B16 engine, and since then, they have upgraded the conversions....
The B16 and B18 have the same bore. A B16B block with a B18 crank essentially is a B18. Although I'm not sure if the heads are identical.

Back in 2001 when they started converting cars, they were B18C5's. But I'm sure the customer could choose whatever engine config was desired.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts