The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Will the US cars have their own specific numerical serial numbers or will it be a variation of one of the first digits which means it is a US car. Example cars
SCA2U2918=USA SCA2E2919= Europe

In this case SCA is Lotus' manufacturers ID code, the 2 would mean its an Elise as compared to an Exige, the E or U would specifiy the country and 2918 and 2919 would specify the order in which the car was built.

If the US cars are number specific, it would be interesting to keep track and see how they did production.

If cars 1-5 were made and shipped to dealer A and cars 6-10 to dealer B, it might give us some insight. Or if cars 1-5 are red, cars 6-10 are yellow, and dealer A gets car 6 and dealer B gets cars 4 and 8 , and dealer C gets car 1 and 3, it might give us an idea as to production and allocation. It would be impossible for them to go by order of deposit since Lotus in the UK has no idea of when each person placed their specific deposit at their dealership, they just know the orders that they took from each individual dealership.

But then I read a post about a year ago that said at one time they just pulled serial number plates randomly out of a box and attached them to the cars.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
If they continue the way they did the esprit and m100, the actual serial number range is the same for all cars.
Chris

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
LOL!! nice avatar xxxotic!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
A bit of probably useless info, but the only number I remember for sure from the tour was that Fed car #086 is Racing Green. Can't tell you anything else, but since that was my color, I remember the number written on the painted body panels.
So I guess if you're third in line at your dealer and your car is green and your serial number is XXX86, then there's a method to the madness afterall.
;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts