The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm new here :)

as mentioned in subject.... I realized that my elise is so fast on the straight that I have to find the way to drive in the curves faster.

hear are some details:

I'm running 3 way JRZ with front ARB set at the middle.

I'm running full slicks, front 200/580r16 on 7 inch wide rims( 7x16 et 30 +14mm distance each side) and 240/610r17 on the rear on 9 inch wide rim.(9x17 et 27+ 24mm distance each side makes et 3 )

I'm running front
+003 each side

rear
-005 each side.

I just started to think about increasing the track width another 5cm per side and I also started to think about using 240/610r17 on the front and 270/645r18 wheels on the rear, I will modify the body.

here are the samples of car behavior, I had some problems with brand new avon slicks......

hear is the sample of quite stable behavior but its still not enough for me :mad:

Any thoughts?
Thanks for help and gratings from warsaw !
Karol

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I have nothing to add in terms of the main question being asked but just had to chime in..

I subscribed to your YouTube a while back because your car is downright unbelievable!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have nothing to add in terms of the main question being asked but just had to chime in..

I subscribed to your YouTube a while back because your car is downright unbelievable!
thank you ;)

I'm trying to make this car even more unbelievable....but to do that I need a lot of grip

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
thank you ;)

I'm trying to make this car even more unbelievable....but to do that I need a lot of grip
Only thing I can think of after looking at the videos is that your troubles definitely seem to be coming from the back.. and I almost wonder if having a larger stagger in wheel/tire section width might benefit you... which makes sense given the power output. Out of curiosity have you tried moving the ARB setting inward?

Also one unrelated question. Are you running a stock Honda transmission?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
It does appear the problem is appearing on power up, especially after you hit the curb and the suspension hasn't settled yet. My gut does say more rubber in the rear, and balance it with more rubber in the front. Black Watch Racing has some ultra wide wheels they sell for the Elise/Exige. With your torque levels you will need more width. Avon slicks are normally considered a very good on the car (forgive me, for I am more of a hoosier A6 or R6 fan).

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
How did you set your JRZ's? How many clicks rebound and Compression? Do they have remote reservoirs? and how much pressure are you running in those?

What springs do you have, any preload?

Not sure if you know but the JRZ's adjust backwards from most dampers (clockwise is softer in rebound and compression)... The previous owner of my JRZ doubles didn't realize this and even printed stickers and placed them on the remotes... saying the wrong directions...

Reading the book written by the JRZ founder, he mentions that too much rebound damping will cause the tires to skate off the surface of the road, and will definitely reduce grip. He generally recommends a soft anti-roll bar, and springs, and then using compression damping and the "platform" of the remote reservoir pressure to increase traction and roll resistance. It looks like your car might be very stiff in roll, stiff springs or high rebound and compression damping? That could definitely reduce traction.

·
Registered
572 Posts
It sounds like you are losing grip under power exiting the turn by lighting up the rear tires. If that is the case an LSD may keep the grip by limiting the slip.

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
I think partially it may be a case of LSD, but would start with rear toe. Your driving style seems to be reactionary to the oversteer (I mean this in a good way) and it is tough to say how balanced the car is before you add power, but it is so quick to oversteer under acceleration that rear toe seems obvious. Shock stiffness may be adding something to the mix as well.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you for your comments.

I have 550 and 750, before was running on nitrons with 450 and 600 and it was much too soft.

true there was a problem with lifting up rear outside wheel, I softened rebound and added low speed compression and its better now.

I'm running stock jdm honda LSD, I'm thinking about stronger one but I'm worry that car wont turn that easy...

here are my shocks set up

F
HS-7
LS-3
R-22
R
HS-8
LS-6
R-15( I will try 14 next time)

Thanks, K

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think your traction problem is the lack of weight. Larger tire just reduce the pound per square inch contact.
my tuning philosophy is weight reduction first.
how about all race lotus GT3 cars running much wider wheels and similar weight?

1 - 20 of 123 Posts