The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a mag blue 2005 Elise in Dallas right at a year ago. Trying to find out what preventative maintenance and what not has been done
Thanks
Zach

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
Have you tried a carfax? I seem to remember peviousowners listed on mine. I may be wrong but at minimum it should list any dealer activity. Possibly get a contact through them?

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,539 Posts
Or do as I did and just "reset" all fluids and general maintenance as your own baseline. That way you will learn all the systems and notice things that you might not be aware of :rolleyes:

·
Registered
841 Posts
I purchased a mag blue 2005 Elise in Dallas right at a year ago. Trying to find out what preventative maintenance and what not has been done
None. Do it all from scratch. It's the only way to be sure. Check that serpentine belt for frayed threads while you're at it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well all fluids and usual things I am staying on top of because I do track the car and have a more experienced tech look over it before each track weekend. But more less trying to find out if the person before has done anything with oil cooler lines. I have already noticed the drain holes for the ac pan. To prevent ac resister problems. I plan on doing a coolant flush in the next two weeks before the next track day. Is there a way of easily noticing if they have been changed? The car had a few sector 111 items when i purchased it. And anyone had problem with ac not blowing cold I know some other mid rear cars have problems over a period I leaking out is this common with the Elise as well

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have the same question on my recently aquired Elise. It actually went down like this:

I bought her at Ferrari of Denver with the information that the previous owner had died about 2 yrs before and the kids put very few miles on the car during probate. (car had about 3500 miles when I got her)

Anyhow, I showed Derek (F.O.D.) a cell phone pic of me parked next to a red/sport/elise with stage II exhaust about 2.5 years earlier in my part of colorado... he couldnt tell me the owner's name, BUT he thought it very likely this was the same car. The prior owner was from Longmont. I would like to know who he was, and morbidly, what they died of. On the other hand, I have not pursued this because I may not like any of the above answers! (could also infringe on family privacy.)

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
As others have said - assume that nothing was done properly or at all and that you're starting from scratch. I bought my car from Fox Valley where TJ was at the time so I didn't have to worry as much. That being said I changed all fluids before my first track weekend (my first day was 2 days after I bought it so I didn't have time then). I was lucky that I actually tracked down the first owner here on LT - although I'll admit he wasn't that forthcoming with questions (probably bummed that I was the a$$hole that bought his car!).

There is a thread where someone put together a Google Docs spreadsheet that was a full registry - although that might have just been for the Exige...

·
Registered
841 Posts
trying to find out if the person before has done anything with oil cooler lines.
You can have a look at it yourself if you look behind the front wheel arch liner.

1. Use a jack and lift either front wheel of your car.
2. Remove the wheel.
3. Unscrew the plastic pop rivets holding the front wheel arch liner to the front of the car and remove it.

This exposes the oil cooler and the hoses. If it looks like this, it's stock. If it's different, it's not stock.

While you have the wheel arch liner off, you might want to duct tape the hole that your track driving may have created in the liner itself. Use lots of duct tape.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts