The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone in the Houston area willing to trade time and expertise for beer? This has become a matter of pride for me...

I believe my thermostat is on the way out so I'm trying to replace my thermostat before an overheat, but I can't even find the dang thing; let alone start to replace it. I've been trying to follow diagrams and pictures on LT, but with the intercooler it's a mess down there!

I even tried tracing the belt to the water pump but I can't see around the alternator.

I was also reading some saying to remove the supercharger and go from above... I haven't tried this since I had it professionally installed and haven't done enough research to put it back together, but if that's the route I'd be confident enough to go that route as well.

Anyway, tips from the masters?

(Other than the BOE supercharger the only other mod in the area is the radium quick clam removal)

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
subscribed....

·
Registered
279 Posts
It's right here and no fun to get at from the top or bottom.

Attachments

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
You need to remove the alternator. It's not that bad after that. A pain, but doable. You need a 10mm socket with a swivel and an extension. Access is mostly from the right rear wheel well.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I just replaced a friend's thermostat in his Rev 400 Elise. In my opinion it is quicker to take off the SC and manifold. This gives full access and removing the alternator is not that easy in itself. Clam off.

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
I just replaced a friend's thermostat in his Rev 400 Elise. In my opinion it is quicker to take off the SC and manifold. This gives full access and removing the alternator is not that easy in itself. Clam off.
Probably comes down to what you have "practiced". I have had the alternator off three times now, including replacing it in the track parking lot once, and it is no big deal anymore. Have not had the S/C off, so that seems like the thing to avoid to me. Your input is interesting for when I eventually have to do that too.

·
Registered
265 Posts
My thermostat was stuck open for two years before I replaced it with no overheat here down in south Florida. Not a fun job.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Well, overheat is not the issue; running too cool with therm stuck open equals more condensation water in engine/oil, mechanical bits not expanding to normal running sizes, etc. Too cool can be almost as damaging as overheat if prolonged.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Well, overheat is not the issue; running too cool with therm stuck open equals more condensation water in engine/oil, mechanical bits not expanding to normal running sizes, etc. Too cool can be almost as damaging as overheat if prolonged.
Lol. You have no idea what you are talking about sugar

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll take some pictures this weekend of what it looks like from my perspective.

Dspecgsx I'm just trying to mentally align your camera, correct me if I'm wrong. Is your camera middle-ish pointing towards the right wheel well? If so, I think there's some plastic wall from my intercooler in the way... GRRR!!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes, camera is sitting where the t-body would be and is pointing to the right rear wheel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts