The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Listed on More4 station. Hope some YouTube channel posts it live, as I am not sure its available in N America. Go ask your dealer!

1 hr before at 21:00 How to build British ( Caterham )

·
Registered
876 Posts
I was able to view it back then when it came out. It's a really good video with a lot of insights into the company, the people, and what's going on within it to make the Emira. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

·
Registered
2022 Lotus Emira
389 Posts
Yeah.. The trailer literally says July 17th. Here's the entire doc.
Thanks for linking, this was excellent!

If you look at 23:23 minute mark you'll see Russell sitting inside a prototype talking about how important the interior is. The dash is covered in leather with yellow stitching. The steering wheel has the yellow stripe/yellow stitching and the door panel looks like it has yellow piping. YES LOTUS, that's what I (we) want!! Not the bland interior which was on display in the car making the tour.

These changes are so subtle but make a huge difference.

·
Registered
27 Posts
By them saying what we all agree with - “We can’t afford to get this wrong” - they are saying that this car will eat the Spyder/GT4 for lunch. Having/loving a Spyder, I can’t imagine how they can pull that off, but that has to be the bar. If the reviews and comparisons come out and the Emira doesn’t win every one by a large margin the initial enthusiasm will die quickly and it’s over for Lotus IMHO. I know that many here will say I’m completely wrong, but the Spyder/GT4 use a platform from 2012 and it would be inexcusable for the Emira to not leapfrog over it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
There's no way this car is going to "eat the Spyder/GT4 for lunch." And needless to say, it also won't eat the lunch of the C8, whether standard or Z06.

But it doesn't have to.

I'm an old guy, and have had a bunch of Porsches. Great cars. When they introduced the wingless Cayman GTS 4.0, I was all in to order one, even though I wasn't really excited about the car.

I've also had 3 Lotuses, and loved them, for their amazing but imperfect character. So when the Emira was announced, I shifted gears and put a deposit on one. I see it as a Cayman GTS competitor that has some soul, some personality. I am really excited about the Emira.

(Although I think the C8 is an amazing car, I find it hideous, and need a manual tranny anyway.)

I considered an Evora several times over the years, but just couldn't get over the uh, awkward design.

(BTW, if the Porsche is based on a 2012 platform, the Emira is really based on the even-older Evora platform.)

Truth is, the Emira is really an Evora Mark 2, finally fixing all the things that many folks just couldn't live with, keeping Lotus at a tiny size.

Performance:
Evora A, Emira A

Interior design and quality:
Evora C, Emira A

Exterior design/styling:
Evora D, Emira A+

The new Lotus will succeed. For the first time in the company's history, it has the resources to design and build really good cars that can compete with other premium brands.

Just like Porsche, it will make flagship sports cars that enthusiasts will lust after, and SUV's based on another company's platforms (Audi/VW for Porsche, and I assume Volvo for Lotus) with a unique personality that will attract many more buyers, and will also allow a significant expansion of the dealer network.

At least, that's what I think!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Unfortunately I agree with both of you that it won’t complete with the GT4. The GTS is essentially the same car as the GT4 with different suspension, and the 4 cylinder cars aren’t much behind in performance numbers. “All“ Lotus has to do is make the Emira have better suspension and handling. That’s the Lotus claim to fame. Looks alone are not going to cut it. There are not nearly enough enthusiasts out there to make the Emira profitable if it can’t beat the competition. And the Evija certainly isn’t going to make them any money. The clip says that Lotus needs to learn how to make money. I agree. A GT4 eater for a little less money could do that. If the strategy is to win on looks alone, they are dreaming. Perhaps they really don’t plan on making a profit on the Emira. If they roll out electric SUVs perhaps they will develop a cult following similar to what Tesla has done, but electric SUVs are a whole different world for Lotus, so if that’s the plan, they may as well change their company name. We’ll see!

And look at the grief that Porsche caused by making the 718 4 cylinder! It almost destroyed the line. It got no respect until they put the NA f6 in it. Then the accolades started flowing and the car gained universal admiration and respect. It seems that Lotus has put all it’s faith in the i4. With an i4 if the GT4 beats it handily, they are done.

I honestly hope I’m wrong.

(Wow! I just noticed that Matt Windle has Tesla posters in his personal garage! I didn’t see any Lotus posters. Hard to believe no one caught that before they released the film. Free advertising for the competition And suggests where his heart is. I’ve worked at companies where the CEO fired an upper level manger on the spot because he showed up to give a public presentation with competitor’s pen displayed in his pocket. Perhaps overly harsh, but wow! I’ shocked! )

·
Registered
2022 Lotus Emira
389 Posts
(Wow! I just noticed that Matt Windle has Tesla posters in his personal garage! I didn’t see any Lotus posters. Hard to believe no one caught that before they released the film. Free advertising for the competition And suggests where his heart is. I’ve worked at companies where the CEO fired an upper level manger on the spot because he showed up to give a public presentation with competitor’s pen displayed in his pocket. Perhaps overly harsh, but wow! I’ shocked! )
Of course I noticed - big fan of Tesla. Matt used to work at/with Tesla on the Roadster and if anything, that's looked at as a feather in his cap rather than the opposite. Tesla is insanely successful in the EV space and Lotus (Geely) wants to replicate that success. Again, for Matt that's a badge of honor, rather than 'advertising for the competition.'

·
Registered
190 Posts
What I’m trying to figure out is how Lotus will manage to make and bake 20 frames a day per shift to hit that 4800 cars/year target. Can they get a frame out of the oven every 25min?

·
Registered
'19 GT350 and '68 Mustang currently... waiting for an Emira!
68 Posts
What I’m trying to figure out is how Lotus will manage to make and bake 20 frames a day per shift to hit that 4800 cars/year target. Can they get a frame out of the oven every 25min?
how many ovens do they have, or conversely, how many chassis fit in one oven?

·
Registered
'19 GT350 and '68 Mustang currently... waiting for an Emira!
68 Posts
not sure, but looked like 2 ovens in that vid, and appear to be deep enough for 2 chassis each, but hard to tell really.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts