The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the car for a week and although the last (as well as all) oil change was done at an Oh Lotus Dealer dead on schedule, I don't have time to drive several hours in either direction for an oil change or tune up.

I'm not really worried about blowing it up but I do want to make sure I am not going to use anything in the car that could harm it and also would like to have everyone's opinion on what parts to use.

First off I have always ran Royal Purple (since it's been available around here, roughly 04-05) or Amsoil in all of my sports cars. I have read that Havoline is the recommended brand but I would rather use my favorites. I guess my big question is would Royal Purple 5w-40 be OK to run in my 05 Elise? I plan on using the Toyota 90915-10004 oil filter. Also wanting to know what spark plugs everyone has had the best luck with as I plan on changing those as well. I can get the K&N air filter for $50 through work so I am wondering if I should go that route or just order a new one from Lotus?

Lastly to end my barrage of newb questions, is there anything else that I need to change out while I am in there?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I use mobile 1 oil. Turbo diesel. Also swapped the filter with a k&n, not sure if it did any performance but it is louder. Im pretty sure the foam type are better witch i will go with next time around. As for the parts, ignition coils and so on are all over priced. I usually cross referance the part with the toyota celica gts or matrix with same motor and found the parts are half the price.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Your Lotus Elise does not require much more attention than a "normal" sporty Toyota car when it comes to engine or transmission maintenance.

Keep on top of maintenance like the engine oil, oil filter, air filter, transmission oil, intake and mass air flow sensor cleanliness. You have your brands others have theirs. Chose what you know best. I use Mobile 1 as it enters the oil pan a clear amber color. Royal Purple is dark in color so it kind of makes it hard to tell if the oil is dirty at the end of however many miles. Keep an eye on the break pads and the fluid in the master cylinder. Flush that twice a year with some good DOT 4.

Some say the K&N filter will cause the MAF sensor to get dirty quick so if you go with the K&N keep an eye on both the filter and the MAF. Clean it early and don't over oil it when you do. I have a K&N in my Elise and haven't had any problems in over a year of use. Cleaned it twice in 25,000+ miles.

These cars are fun to work on if you can DIY you could save 90-120 bucks an hour on labor charges at the dealership. A few weeks ago I did an engine oil change and transmission oil change. I spent $100 on materials and took my sweet a$$ time. That took me less than 2 hours. How much time will you spend driving your car to the dealership and then waiting for them to service your car, bill you and deliver it back to you?

·
Such Administrating
6,886 Posts
I have also heard bad things about K&N filters so I tend to stay away from them. Everyone has their favorite brands of oil. I haven't changed mine yet, I haven't decided what oil I'm going to use.

These are the NGK plugs I just put in my 2005 elise: BKR6EIX-11

The original ngk plugs that came in the car are no longer made. The plugs take 5 minutes to do, 10 minutes at most.

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
Basic maintenance is all that is needed. Change tranny oil once a year or if you track after every other track day. Perform a brake fluid and clutch fluid flush every year. A power bleeder helps make this an easy job. Check your brake pads and change your oil. I install new plugs every year also. Then just enjoy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts