The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was doing some exhaust work on my esprit today, and I had one of the nuts on the turbine outlet stud seize up. No big deal, I thought....I'll size back the stud out of the turbine housing and deal with it. Well...... the stud didn't want to come out of the turbine either. I got it out, but the threads are totally thrashed! I'm going to have to bore it out and use a thread repair kit on it, such as a timesert or a helicoil.

So, here is my question. Does anyone know what size the threads are that go into the turbine housing? the side the downpipe bolts onto is an M10x1.5 , but it seems that the turbine side might be a 3/8" x ??? (hard to tell becuase the threads go so damaged and rounded off) . seems odd to have standard on one side of a stud and metric on the other, though. Maybe the whole stud is M10x1.5 on both sides.

Also, do you know where I can get another stud? maybe JAE....

thanks,

Andrew

·
Wingless Wonder
5,414 Posts
Just looked at the studs in the parts manual, the size is not specified. :sad:

But I'm sure Jeff @ JAE stocks them....(or at least knows the size).

When I destroyed the "button-head" bolts getting my engine's rear main seal off, I couldn't find replacements locally. But Jeff had them. :cool:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
This seems to be a common problem. I'm pretty sure they are M10x1.5 on both ends, but they have a deformed thread to act as a threadlocker. Once you bugger up the threads in the turbo there's not a lot that can be done. The price of the actual, original stud will make you weep. Once you replace it, I suggest not using a locknut, but instead drill some non-locking stainless steel nuts for safety wire and safety wire them in place. Been there, done that. :(

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sanj,

you were right. $42 for a single stud! OUCH!

I was able to find a stud locally, though. I ended up buying a helicoil repair kit. I couldn't get a timesert set locally. found some time this afternoon to drill out the "knackered" threads, tapped it, and helicoiled!

thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Man, did this come up at the right time, I just developed a rattle and traced it back to one of the studs having rattled out. Does ARP make replacements? I did a quick search online and found these. I am a little worried that you get what you pay for though....

Fasteners : atpturbo.com

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i got my new stud at a local ace hardware. it was an "automotive stud." looks similar to the atp picture.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts