The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,
We are need a a car for testing and prototyping our light pressure turbo kit. If anyone is interested in this set up and can be down without a car for 8-10 weeks then we would love to talk to you. We are located in Northern California and have a in house dyno for all testing. The car will be dynoed before and after installation of the kit and will produce in excess of 260 horsepower with pump gas. We also have an exciting opportunity to feature the car as well. Please PM me or call for the full details including the price of the kit. We will be offering free tuning, free installation and pricing below cost. Thanks everyone!

Kenneth Li
www.Forcedfed.com

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
lol. OFL sez...no. :)

OFL is working on a turbo system with someone else :eek: namely herself....and an un named organization she trusts.

Also OFL is completely across the United States from these folks. :)

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
eleventy billion horsepower and torque!!!!! :huh: ;)

nah, cant say. Honestly I dont know anything at the moment. I've been offered by several companies to use my car as a test mule...but only one do I trust and Im not even currently working with them.....but I AM working on it. I'll elaborate more later.

·
Registered
866 Posts
OneFastLotus said:
lol. OFL sez...no. :)

OFL is working on a turbo system with someone else :eek: namely herself....and an un named organization she trusts.

Also OFL is completely across the United States from these folks. :)
As am I. There will be a lot of kits available soon, maybe 3 or 4 that I know of. There is a huge difference in pricing between kits. Some will put in new injectors, some will use fuel regulators and adjust the pressure. Take a look around at other cars that have turbo kits. You will see the range of prices for mass produced kits in the neighborhood of 1800 to 2500 for parts. Some kits are more complete than others. Now that I have managed to scrape the front of my car up nicely, and need to get it fixed and repainted, the plans for the turbocharger system install in 2 weeks might have to wait :( It depends on how expensive fibergalss is to repair. I have no idea.

Also it seems as though some people can get the same parts for a lot cheaper. I didn't realize that there are "street" prices.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
tony, I respectfully disagree. A properly sized low pressure turbo would be ideal for this car and lag would be non noticable...and it's non parasitic.

·
Registered
648 Posts
but judging by results in the UK, look slike superchargers have won over turbochargers in Elises. Even turbo technics who pioneered the turbo conversion for Elise have now switched to superchargers. They are lighters, run cooler and don't suffer from turbo lag.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Properly sized turbos dont lag. The elise needs no more than a T25 or T25.28 max. I can give you a drive in a turbo miata and a supercharged miata and other than the noises they make you wouldnt know the difference.

Heat on a low boost/low pressure set up would be minimal. A sidemount intercooler or trunk mount would be feasible as well.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Interesting. Lots of people on here seem to compare the Miata to the Elise alot. How much does a Miata weigh? Is it what we call an MX5?

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
tonyyoshi said:
Interesting. Lots of people on here seem to compare the Miata to the Elise alot. How much does a Miata weigh? Is it what we call an MX5?
The Miata == The MX-5 == Eunos Roadster.

I believe the earliest Miata's weighed a bit over 2100# without options and the newest weigh a bit over 2500#.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
tonyyoshi said:
OK, so alot heavier than the Euro Elise.
My miata is 2230lbs and has 400hp. 347 currently to the wheels.

Im not sure what you're saying? Are you saying that due to weight the supercharger is the way to go?

I dont have anything against superchargers, there are some very promising cold side SC's for the miatas's and other cars currently.

I just think that a small turbo would be excellent for this car. A t25 would provide more potential power than a SC, is NON parasitic, low boost/low pressure wouldnt make that much heat and would provide more top end power where SC's crap out.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Yeah, its a sickness alright. I think we may turbo the yellow car and run it in SM2 just for giggles. Once you go turbo its hard to go back. :D

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Superchargers tend to have better throttle response in terms of putting down power out of a turn exactly when you want it and in the amount you desire. Some turbo rigs have a soft feeling throttle response and come on in a way that can upset the car's handling. Things like this are less of an issue if you go mostly straight or stay on large, open road courses.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
With all due respect I disagree. A small turbo miata ( or any other car with a properly sized turbo for the application) is very autocrossable. We have a well prepared SM2 autocross car with small turbo and it stays in boost, and is very easy to modulate. No problems. You wouldn't know it from a supercharged car other than the fact that it makes alot more power and low end torque.

Turbo's that come on in such a way as to upset the cars handling mid corner, chicago box or chicane are not sized correctly for their application.

·
Registered
591 Posts
There must be a reason tha F1 had turbos a few years back. It may have been very many years ago that they had superchargers. I guess they got the turbo induced handling problems sorted out.

About the only type of racing where superchargers seem to have an advantage at the highest levels of the sport, is Drag Racing. I am pretty sure there were many, people saying that the Elise was NOT a drag car, never should be and it was sacreligeous(sp?) to even think of drag racing one;)

I seemed to remember Porsche doing Ok with the 962 in prototype (road) racing as few years back.

Greg

1 - 20 of 84 Posts