The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to give back to this helpful forum again.

In my 1995 Esprit S4s I was stopped in traffic at an intersection, I saw a gap in the steady flow and wanted that spot. Lots of throttle, dumped the clutch and rocketed to the gap. Then the engine bucked and died coming back to life once under 3,000RPM. It went into limp mode. I could drive but not over 3,000. At stop lights I found it idled rough and only for 20~30 seconds before it stalled. It restarted easily. I made it home which was close fortunately.

Freescan told me error 33:
-33 Manifold Absolute Pressure MAP Sensor circuit Signal Voltage High
-33 TIP Is the pipe between the manifold and MAP sensor disconnected?

I looked for this pipe which I could not find, I couldn't even locate the MAP sensor. With the help of my service manual, I found the MAP sensor location and worked back to the manifold where I found the plastic pipe from the MAP sensor joins the standard rubber vacuum hose, BEHIND THE COOLANT TANK.

In fact I could not see the disconnect, I realized it was disconnected when tugging on the plastic hose to see where it went, it easily pulled out from behind the tank and when I realized it was not connected to anything. Then I pulled the rubber hose from the manifold heading behind the coolant tank and it too was not connected to anything. I connected the two and voila back with full power.

Maybe one day this information is helpful to others before the tow truck is called. Thank you Freescan!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Great thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I suspect someone has repaired that line before you. The stock configuration is a hard line all the way from the intake manifold to the MAP sensor, the only rubber is an elbow at each end.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting Sanj, the former owner of my car just informed me it was a hard line all the way when he owned it just as you indicated. The engine was removed last year and I gather this change to the hosing was done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts