The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for more ponies. The track days are awesome, but clearly the HP/ torque is the weak link of the NA Evora. I took the car into a reputable performance shop near Pittsburgh and they seem up to the job, but the cost is not insignificant if we have to pull the engine. They favor a turbo setup. I am not a technical guy, but here are the options as I understand them:

1) Full build with pistons, head mods, clutch, outsourced tune, and turbo in preparation for 20+ lbs of boost on pump gas which they feel could net 400-450 rwhp min. Potential for racing fuel or E85 is higher. They do not like the fact the engine needs pulled from a cost perspective and also feel that kind of hp may not be suited to this car. Also $$$.

2) Turbo, full exhaust, tune, fuel pump, etc, and "take a chance with the clutch" and no head or piston modifications. Much more conservative boost (6lbs for pump gas) and two tuning maps. One for about 300+ rwhp on 93 octane and another for 400+ rwhp on racing gas. Another option is to have a map for 400rwhp with E85 run in the car all the time, but I'm not sure I like that. They would "overbuild" the turbo so that when my clutch went out they could rebuild the engine if I wanted to handle more boost. Double to triple the cost.

3) New car. Seriously considering something really fast and throwaway (monster miata? earlier z06). +/- keep the Evora

Obviously, my concern is the clutch. I rev match at the track and never drag race, but I do not want to burn through a clutch in one-two days at the track and lose the car for a summer. If it would last 10k miles (about 2 years for me) with 5 track days a year, great. I'll be ready for more hp at that point.

I think I know what the common sense answer is, but am likely to make a bad decision anyway. I do appreciate input from the forum.

I do not now exact $'s yet. The guess is $6k for the cheaper option and $12-15k for the more expensive.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Check out Ramtin 1000 posts (quiet extensive and very useful) where he describes the step by step process along with some tweaks that had to be made once the turbo was installed. Good learnings that might help you make the decision.

Sent from my iPad using AG Free

·
Registered
978 Posts
Guess you are getting ready for the longer straights on the new south track.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
ramtin is running a supercharger setup from Lotus Racing.

I think it is easily viable-the motor does pretty well-if you google around a bit a few camry guys have turbod the 2gr-fe without much issue on the stock automatic tranny and internals. There are of course some crazy builds too-i know MWR has sourcing for a lot of the internals. Most people lean towards SC just because that is what TRD started with on the aurion 2GR, and it trickled to the Evora.

I think the clutch COULD handle it, you would just have to be mindful of the heat buildup..the clutch on factory powers usually builds up heat really quick, so a lot of abuse could be the end of it. But treat it normally and you should be fine. AFAIK no company offers a more stout aftermarket option yet-though people around here have looked into having ACT or someone custom do some plates/flywheel. But that is an engine drop and a LOT of labor. I think Lotus quotes what 30 hours?

I've been eyeballing a small turbo setup but it is forever down the road. Not much boost, 310-320 whp would be a really nice increase over stock. Unfortunately I don't think the Lotus Racing supercharger route is going to be very affordable. One thing that I'm not sure where you would squeeze without some serious modifications is an intercooler..and with this engine bay I would say it's pretty necessary.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The intercooler will fit nicely into the gapping hole left from removing the stock airbox. A heat exchanger will run to the front of the car hopefully. The turbos will be set low in the engine bay. Space is not an issue. Heat may still be one.

The engine cover will be toast. If heat is an issue, I may need to use the back glass replacement like Ramtin did.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
You would have to lose the glass I would guess but that's easy. If the intercooler goes with the air box was you'll probably have massive heat soak. Might be able to get a small one crammed in where the radium intake heat shield goes to keep it as far away as possible.

Not sure where you would run anything to the front of the car easily though. Room for turbo probably although I could see heat from it being an issue after the collector since its right under the trunk/battery. Would probably have to rework the y pipe (down pipe) as lotus calls it and significantly replying and heat shield the exhaust.

I've looked a lot into it..I'd be interested too see the results for sure

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is a water to air intercooler. The heat exchanger would need tubing to carry the coolant. Is there not enough room to put tubing from the front to the engine bay? I have not had all of the panels off yet.

There are all things the shop is researching now. Any info is helpful.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have been looking a doing the same thing. depending on what dyno the motor should be able to make that power around 8-10 psi on stock internals and 93 pump gas. The biggest hurdle for me currently is tuning. I want full access to tune in properly weather it is the OEM ECU or aftermarket.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I'm just not sure where you would run lines to the front of the car? The central tub is much like the Elige platform-the radiator lines/oil cooler lines etc are plumbed through the sills and it is all sealed up. Underneath is the aero tray and that is epoxied and riveted in place. There is room in the engine bay for stuff but I could see it being quite tricky getting to the front-your best bet is running lines like you would for the dual oil coolers that came in some cars-I highly doubt Lotus plugged the holes in the sills. Trick is just going to be running them.

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
Or you could trade your NA car in for an Evora S, and still have a warranty.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I think Ramtin paid arround 8k for the kit minus cpu but with S clutch and flywheel. If you get it with the CPU and have it installed est should be arround 12k total. Ramtin had his CPU reprogrammed instead. I am sure he will chime in and provide the details.

I am thinking about going the SC route eventually as it is a proven solution using the S components.

As for Turbos, it would be nice to see someone come up with a kit in the 400+ hp range.

NA option is there too. You could try to source a racing Evora Engine. I think it was said on here that it was around 150k. Not sure if the tranny was included.

For 450hp, probably need to figure out how to get more cooling int the engine bay. Air to water is probably the way to go if you are boosting considering how little room is in there. You could also look at the GTE to see how they get more hot air out.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
We ended up using the stock ECU and BOE made a custom tune for the car. If you go factory ECU solution then there will be no reflash as the ECU is the sport ECU. As far as power last dyno showed 365WHP and there is still more room with a better tune but we stopped there as there are some intake issues due to radium cold air intake not made for the S. The problems is with the diameter of the radium pipe being bigger than stock setup so the Airmass flow readings are all jacked up. Once that issue is figured out with a better tune you can make something very close 385WHP on this car. If you guys are thinking about the upgrade i highly recommend removing the rear engine glass and changing the thermostat to drop the heat. We put a sensor in the oil pan and even with all the power we were making heat was not going over 218 which was really good. I guess if anybody try's to make anything more than 400WHP will also need to look into an oil cooler solution as well.
Lastly the cost of the kit with the clutch and flywheel without ECU was exactly 9K. If you add their ECU solution it will be around 10K.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Thanks for the run down Ramtim.

At this point, a turbo+ alc injection setup is much more appealing to me given the cost and labor involved in the sc upgrade.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Although the new car warranty is appealing, its not like my dealer is really able to get the work done anyway. The true cost of a new S is much more than a modification. There is the cost of the new car, the $12k over the base model, and alot of sales tax. Just the sales tax alone pays for the majority of the hardware.

·
Illegal Alien
4,987 Posts
Hardware has either sales tax or shipping costs from overseas and then trial and error development costs.
I would think you will spend more than 10K developing a turbo set up and at end of day you will have a twitchy car with turbo lag. Either way you need to upgrade clutch to S type, improve cooling, injectors, fuel pump and change exhaust. Lotus SC Kit is same as factory S, it can be tuned with more open exhaust to over 400 Hp.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Thello,
Good luck with your choices. I have a real appreciation for people who pioneer and work out the rough spots for all the owners that follow the pioneers. There is a long thread from one of the pioneers of Elise turbo, and another for Elise supercharging. It was a lot of pain and money for them to get their cars right. The power they got back then, was far far less than some of the off-the-shelf turnkey solutions today. But, someone had to be the first. There are now supercharged 2zz-ge cars, which run E85, which have 450 crank HP, largely in thanks to the early efforts. I can only imagine we will see 500 HP plus Evora cars in their final evolution as a turn-key kit. (Most likely a TVS supercharger with water-air intercooling, higher flow fuel pump, larger injectors, and a highly tweaked tune of the facotry ECU). Early attempts are inevitably marred by people using factory injectors, too small of a fuel pump, bad-twitchy tunes and lack of good intercooling. Avoid these basic pitfalls, and you will likely do well. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Twin Turbo setup like the Jimco 2000.

I have a lot of good ideas to get good cold air into the back as well - if anyone is going to do this please let me know - I'd be glad to chat.

·
Illegal Alien
4,987 Posts
Note the GTS specs now call out an intercooler.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ideally a sequential setup would be the way to go. BUT that would mean that you have to get some really good tuning done with a standalone. The AEM or Vi-pec would be somewhat affordable. Then you would have to have a really efficient setup from the shop. I would guess that your looking at 15 to 18K all in and that's if you are getting some decent deals on maybe a used ViPec along with not having to replace internals. If you run about 400 to the rear wheels the car will feel pretty Quick. The rest of the tuning will be for throttle response and efficiency. Wayne Ellison did his own twin charge cooler setup on his Esprit an it works brilliantly. Then again he's a engineers so he worked out all the calculations for the thermal efficiency. Turbos are the best but need a good amount of planing to make work well. The SC car looses a lot of horsepower when the ambient temps climb above 90 deg outside and it almost wipes all of the HP you gained from having one in the first place so the you have the extra weight up high your contending with.

Just my 2cents worth.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts