The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking to pick up a turbo kit, but anyone know whether the Forcefed 380 or the Hass turbo kit would be better quality, and which would provide better gains?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Pm sent. I can't speak to the forcefed kit, but the hass is definitely a hobby in a box. People have had success with them. If you know turbos and ECUs you can get lots of power. Modest power is fairly easy, big numbers need work to avoid breaking your engine.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
The forcefed systems have a better reputation, with less tweaking than the Haas. Up around 380 you are looking at uprating some engine components and transmissions for reliability.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I did not thin there were any Hassinger kits still on any running cars other than mine.

I would not attempt any turbo kit unless and until you have the engine management issues sorted.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I did not thin there were any Hassinger kits still on any running cars other than mine.
Is my signature a fair disclosure for someone offering one of these gems for sale?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I don't agree with one element of the hard parts kit. The hardest part for most people is the correct ecu/tuning for a turbo.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I would agree ecu/tuning for a turbo is the hardest part. I just installed a
standalone DRS ECU for my force fed kit 275kit. You will need to have some one with alot of experience tune it for you.

The Radium kit does not come with a ECU and you will spend between 3k and 6k to get a ECU that works

DRS did my ECU for my Force fed 275 and did a great job sorting out the issues.

My cars run great now and with the adaptive learning software that you can tune the ECU with data logging.

If you want to do Forcefed 380 i would talk to Kris at DRS.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts

I would not attempt any turbo kit unless and until you have the engine management issues sorted.
You're not the only one kverges ;).. did the needed mods and got a proper ECU tune.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
You now have several more affordable ECU solution.

1. Vision Function ECU reflash-tune
2. New Radium AEM jumper box for the AEM-4 (soon to be released this summer)
3. PNP Wire Harness for the AEM Series 2 from Mitch at MP Tuning

Attachments

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well lets just say I had several offers, one a new Hass kit, and the other a slightly used FF380. I had heard better things about Force Feds kit in terms of quality and reliability, but was looking to see which was the better choice. I would only be starting with a low boost on stock motor, so trying to figure out which would be the best to go with (just between the two).

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
well lets just say I had several offers, one a new Hass kit, and the other a slightly used FF380. I had heard better things about Force Feds kit in terms of quality and reliability, but was looking to see which was the better choice. I would only be starting with a low boost on stock motor, so trying to figure out which would be the best to go with (just between the two).
That "new" Hass kit is not going to be a good solution without some needed modifications.

For example you will need the have expansion slits made on the exhaust manifold or run the risk of it stripping out your studs. Also need to make some kind of turbo brace and probably best to change to a smaller and better wastegate controller as the one with the Hass kit tended to overheat and fail due to size and location.

Kverges and I both have and needed to make these mods, as well as a new intake system. It can work but you need to spend a little time and effort to get it sorted.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Radium's parts look just gorgeous and well-engineered.

I really only take one exception. For any stand-alone ECU, will it pass emissions? One reason I still use the band-aid piggyback is that my car will pass a full emissions test, including interrogating the OBDII factory ECU. I do think that needs to be clarified or disclosed one way or another.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
That "new" Hass kit is not going to be a good solution without some needed modifications.

For example you will need the have expansion slits made on the exhaust manifold or run the risk of it stripping out your studs. Also need to make some kind of turbo brace and probably best to change to a smaller and better wastegate controller as the one with the Hass kit tended to overheat and fail due to size and location.

Kverges and I both have and needed to make these mods, as well as a new intake system. It can work but you need to spend a little time and effort to get it sorted.
Exactly right - I went with a smaller WG controller that I also heat shield, you need to slot the manifold, and a brace for the turbo to the block is a muy good idea. I re-did the intake (fairly big project to get tubing to right side scoop) and exhaust (3" straight out the back with no muffler, just a metal matrix catalytic converter).

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea, from what I gather the hass can be pretty close and quite a bit cheaper (I was offered one for 1500), but you have to do a few things to get it working. The FF380 may be more, but hopefully that may avoid a few hoops to jump through for a first time build.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Since wek120's question seems largely answered, I'd like to threadjack for a moment.
I offered my Hass up, with a sales pitch something like "You really don't want one of these, but if you're buying one away..." I'd like to sell mine, but it was grossly misrepresented to me and I'm not willing to do the same to someone else. Does anyone know if these are a better fit on Toyotas? I know that they use a different ECU, and the kit was modified from a Toyota kit in the first place. I need to recoup some money from the kit, but I don't want to simply make it someone else's problem. I also know that it is not fair to say "have fun, and for help get in touch with Mr. KV or F1" Y'all are kind to help, but I'm thinking that it might be time to start sending these kits out of our community.
Am I wrong?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I do think the kit was designed for the MR2. You might be able to sell it there. Or part it out - the turbo and intercooler alone have some value. Does the kit include the Greddy eManage and Aquamist? Those also have some value.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts