The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend is fabricating a turbo kit for my o5 using an sts universal turbo kit, he'll be adding an intercooler and a larger oil pan and doing alot of fabricating on it aswell as tuning. Also jet coating alot of parts for heat, any other pointers or recomendations

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
A friend is fabricating a turbo kit for my o5 using an sts universal turbo kit, he'll be adding an intercooler and a larger oil pan and doing alot of fabricating on it aswell as tuning. Also jet coating alot of parts for heat, any other pointers or recomendations

Why not buy a Forcedfed Turbo? Good luck. your going to outlay allot of cash and time doing a custom turbo.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Good luck!

Post details!

Take pics!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
forcefed seams a little pricey I was very close to purchasing it until this guy came along and told me his price and that I should be getting this done for around six thousand plus a few extras

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
forcefed seams a little pricey I was very close to purchasing it until this guy came along and told me his price and that I should be getting this done for around six thousand plus a few extras
$6k is close to what ForcedFed was charging for their kit without the EFI ($7900 on their website). Having a proper tune is what makes or breaks your kit. I hope your friend knows how to do that. Also understand that generally in this type of aftermarket work, you get what you pay for, so please make sure you do your due diligence on this guy.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I will bet that you will pay 8k then take it to someone to fix it and get it right and end up spending the money all over again.
Like sleeprfocus said...you will get what you pay for and please get some engine management.

Do some more research and remember to do it right the first time.

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
trevor...good luck with the turbo kit....your magnetic blue (or persian blue) Elise looked awesome...can't wait to hear the turbo!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I will bet that you will pay 8k then take it to someone to fix it and get it right and end up spending the money all over again.
Like sleeprfocus said...you will get what you pay for and please get some engine management.

Do some more research and remember to do it right the first time.
I'm in a similar boat as far as having a friend mocking up my plumbing. From a cost standpoint you can spend like 3k for the same quality pats, but you loose their ducting. Personally I would have gone with their setup but that IC was too small for me so I went with something more like the hass IC setup. I'll data log the intake temps and see if I went the correct route, but defiantly buy the quality bends (321 stainless, aluminum, ect) cooler, turbo, and oil pan. If you have free fabrication labor and you trust your friend to do quality work ti can be cheaper and good. Again not including any engine management. So minus ducting one could save like 5k.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
stupid question

ic means intercooler, or what does it mean,? how much was the hass set up, wish you the best of luck aswell

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
You do not want a hass turbo.....just trust me.
ic == intercooler

You could use the oil coolers as the heat exchangers and use a mocal for the cooling the oil.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f16...rcharger-set-up-57718/index3.html#post1033111
I looked on their website and the kit seems to be removed. They might not even be making them anymore.

And do you have any data or comparison for the mocal? Any more information the company makes allot of different products.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I looked on their website and the kit seems to be removed. They might not even be making them anymore.

And do you have any data or comparison for the mocal? Any more information the company makes allot of different products.
call them. I think they have some turbo kits now but I am not certain.

So far my post charge temps are around +-15 degrees above ambient and oil temps have only risen I would say maybe around 3 degrees.
That was on a 100 degree day at buttonwillow.

One of the lotus retailer sites actually makes a kit out of the mocal I forget which one.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
last i talked with joe at hass, he still had a turbo kit laying around if you guys have any other ideas besides hass, sts or forceced, please let me know

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
last i talked with joe at hass, he still had a turbo kit laying around if you guys have any other ideas besides hass, sts or forceced, please let me know

Once again if you find a used hass setup.....keep moving. It is TOTAL CRAP

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
we called joe at hass 9500 way to much wouldnt budge on price, definately out of the question, but weve decided to build up the engine stronger so it can handle the extra horse power, port polish, pistons, heads, cranks, I dont know the list but he came up with along one, and said anything he can make better he will. My car is going to the shop next week and will be out of commission for a month or two but well worth the wait, plenty of time to figure out what turbo to go with, said he'd throw in a better clutch, oil pan biggest possible custom, biggest intercooler possible custom, custom exhaust, and custom headers. Price quote 10000-12000 including turbo and labor,well see how it goes keep you posted, very excited. leaning towards hydra engine management what do you think?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
we called joe at hass 9500 way to much wouldnt budge on price, definately out of the question, but weve decided to build up the engine stronger so it can handle the extra horse power, port polish, pistons, heads, cranks, I dont know the list but he came up with along one, and said anything he can make better he will. My car is going to the shop next week and will be out of commission for a month or two but well worth the wait, plenty of time to figure out what turbo to go with, said he'd throw in a better clutch, oil pan biggest possible custom, biggest intercooler possible custom, custom exhaust, and custom headers. Price quote 10000-12000 including turbo and labor,well see how it goes keep you posted, very excited. leaning towards hydra engine management what do you think?
Did you call forcedfed before you called HASS? It seems like you could get a well suited ff275 out the door for 10k rather than a custom setup. Its just that forcedfeds turbo kits have been proven

·
Registered
454 Posts
That sounds just like my setup. I decided to go with a bigger turbo than the kits offered this also led to the custom decision. My engine build was minimal stock head, new rods, bearings, pistons and that’s it. For the money I’m not sure messing with the head is worth the investment.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Once again if you find a used hass setup.....keep moving. It is TOTAL CRAP
So far the only negative comments I’ve heard about the Hass setup was the engine management. I’m defiantly going a different route, but just curious if they offered a kit w/o engine management would there be other reasons you would advise against them? It may be useful for me not to make any common mistakes as far as the mechanical setup goes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts