The Lotus Cars Community banner

181 - 200 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I have the spacer. I understand the theory but I can't honestly say I can feel any difference.
Yeah, same for me. I sold mine. It was more of a PITA dealing with the extra crowding the spacer adds to the upper engine than anything I noticed performance-wise. It does look cool, though :nerd:

·
Integrator
2,717 Posts
I asked this question as well a while ago and no one gave me an answer. I assume it adds a shiny part to the intake and that is about it.
Design Techniques for Engine Manifolds: Wave Action Methods for Ic Engines book ( ISBN-13: 978-0768004823), has answers to your questions, page 170, 171 and more in bibliography

·
Registered
514 Posts
Has anyone done a before/after dyno run under controlled conditions? That means taking a fully tuned engine without the spacer for the control and then changing only the spacer for the test?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Yeah, same for me. I sold mine. It was more of a PITA dealing with the extra crowding the spacer adds to the upper engine than anything I noticed performance-wise. It does look cool, though :nerd:
I didn't mean to call into question either the theory or the wisdom of the plenum spacer. I fully accept that it is better to have more volume in the plenum, and I expect a positive result in terms of power is likely to be documented on a dyno. I'm not sure how large that difference will be and for me I could not perceive a gain which was noticeable enough to balance it against my own desire to not crowd out access on the plenum side of the engine. Purely subjective decision, even lazy decision if you will, since the addition of the spacer and the use of two plenum gaskets is a bit more work. Plus some other things as well. For me, having to use the longer bolts to accommodate the spacer meant that to get all the bolts out required moving or removing the air cleaner/intake housing because the length of the bolts interfered with the housing for two of the bolts. So, the lazy man's solution (i.e. my solution) was to sell the spacer to a worthy LotusTalk member and revert back to the old OEM status.

But all respect and appreciation to Mr. Dangerus for his constant thinking about the Esprit and ways in which the Esprit can be improved
:clap:

Tom

·
Registered
153 Posts
I agree with you Tom. John is always very pro-active in this Esprit community. But I also I regret not buying your Spacer when I had the chance... I’m still needing-looking for one.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I would also be looking to buy into a group buy if another one was done. I might be interested in two or perhaps three of these.
I have a copy of the CAD file for the spacer so I might be able to check into getting my fabricator to make some more.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Interest in another plenum spacer group buy?

I would also be looking to buy into a group buy if another one was done. I might be interested in two or perhaps three of these.
I have a copy of the CAD file for the spacer so I might be able to check into getting my fabricator to make some more.
I sent the dfx file off to my fabricator and he got me a quote to make these again. I am still waiting on his reply to a question I have about his quote but I am curious to see if there is enough interest in these 1" thick plenum spacers to have another batch made.

I know other folks in this thread were asking if there is any verifiable proof that adding this plenum spacer actually has a positive benefit to the engine.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Haven't measured mine against stock setup. But there's more than meets the eye. My take on this subject is, that as it often is with tuning parts, or other mods, it's rarely the single part that makes the difference, but the sum of all mods, that will show up on a dyno in a change.
Since I am running Sport300 turbo, fpr, pump, ECU, free flow cat, fater more open exhaust and a tubular exhaust manifold, mine is not stock any more. I would expect to see a change in the dyno, but I would also expect to see a bigger change in numbers when this part adds up together with other mods. There are more factors affecting intake air mixture volume and airspeed.
Next is going to be a modified cylinderhead with different valves and porting.
So haven't measured it as of yet.
Others will have to chime in, if it has been done at all.

Kind regards,
Redfox.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I will get a before and after dyno if the buy works out and the dyno is still up the road that I used a few years ago

I will not be able to do the part change the same day so it will just be an indication - not very scientific

·
Registered
417 Posts
At least you'll use the same company, the same dyno, same operator, and ask him to make sure he get the variables equal, to compensate for different humidity, temperature etc.

Cheers,
Redfox

·
Registered
526 Posts
Just got an update from my fabricator. Made in lots of ten he says the price would be $175.00 each. The only other information I don't have yet would be the cost of shipping since they would have to be all shipped to me and then shipped out to each buyer.

181 - 200 of 211 Posts