The Lotus Cars Community banner

141 - 160 of 211 Posts

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
From prior notes, the original bolts are (2) @ 55mm (replace with 80mm) and (8) at 80mm (replace with 105 or 110mm). Any reason that two of the eight original 80mm bolts would not serve just fine as the shorter 80mm replacements? Not worried about $4 but since they are sitting there.. After all they are genuine Lotus Bolts!

·
Integrator
2,683 Posts
Hi,

If I wanted to use the full "fat lip" velocity stacks that MrDangerous mentions in the "X180 IMPROVEMENTS" topic (post 65) in my S4s along with this 1" spacer, how high should they project above the surface?

Thanks,
Rich
Rich,

Go for 40mm, even 44mm-that will give you 355mm runners. (1.3" dimension on the picture should be 55mm)
The plenum plate holes (ID) were precision ground and stack OD was slightly reduced for tight press-fit. I have used Rocksett engineering adhesive (Cotronics Resbond 907GF adhesive can also be used) to secure parts (hopefully forever, LOL)
Cotronics Resbond 907GF 2300°F Adhesive and Sealant - 11 oz Tube at SkyGeek.com

For more info, see "X-180 Improvements" thread, Post No.65,66 and 374.

Attachments

·
'95 S4s & '79 JPS #040
43 Posts
MrDangerous,

Thanks for reply. Exactly where is that dimension taken? Is it from the mating surface of the plenum where the intake runners attach? :scratchhead:

Rich

Rich,

Go for 40mm, even 44mm-that will give you 355mm runners. (1.3" dimension on the picture should be 55mm)
The plenum plate holes (ID) were precision ground and stack OD was slightly reduced for tight press-fit...

·
Integrator
2,683 Posts
MrDangerous,

Thanks for reply. Exactly where is that dimension taken? Is it from the mating surface of the plenum where the intake runners attach? :scratchhead:

Rich
Measured from the inner wall to the top of the funnel,
30-40mm it may be as tall as 44mm. Some say taller is better. Initially, I made them 30-35mm.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Went to drive to office today, putting engine cover back on and erk.. with intake moved to the right 2" (would be 1" if use one spacer) it of course will not lay flat. Going to have to do some trimming this weekend.. :p

·
'95 S4s & '79 JPS #040
43 Posts
MrD,

Do you mean from the surface where the "4 3 2 1" show up in red marker?

Plus, I am assuming you went for the ones on the left in the picture at bottom based on your picture where the bell does not flare much, if at all.

Thanks, Rich

Rich,

Attachments

·
Registered
1,976 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Went to drive to office today, putting engine cover back on and erk.. with intake moved to the right 2" (would be 1" if use one spacer) it of course will not lay flat. Going to have to do some trimming this weekend.. :p
Trimmed cover to fit! Only had to trim 1 1/4" even though I installed two spacers (2" thick) so those who only install one may not have to do any at all.

Dremel, plastic bit and 20 minutes or so... the angle at the rear I cut matches much more closely the angle on the intake than it looks like in the photos. Except for there and a small spot at rear the only cuts were to horizontal portion.

EDIT 07/11/2016
since do not have a way to bend the original brace I made one out of 1" slotted angle steel. Mounted to front most bottom bolt on intake cover and empty hole on the AC compressor. Super easy and quick.

Attachments

·
Integrator
2,683 Posts
I remember seeing a mod done to the plenum with aluminum pipe sections welded in. Do you have the spec sheet still. I want to do that when I put the spacer on

Thanx, Jenna
Here is a picture of my "napkin" sketch. Some dimensions are in mm and some of them can be ignored.
3.5-4" ID thin wall tubing may be used. ID is not critical, just keep it symmetric.

Happy fabricating:grin2:

Attachments

·
Project Addicted
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
2 EXTRA Spacers Available

I have 2 extra spacers available from the spacer group buy. These were made at the same time and they fit perfectly as can be seen on other members cars. The cost from the group buy was $157.65 all in including shipping and Paypal fees.

First come, first served.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Ran into a problem with my install. The forward end of the spacer is touching a screw on the alternator, and almost touches the alternator heat sink.

The the original plenum cover has a flange a bit larger at the mating surface. The spacer is designed to match the flange. The original plenum has an area milled to clear the alternator. When you insert the spacer that moves the larger area outward to the right, so the original area cleared for the alternator is now in the wrong place.

I am having a local machine shop mill off a little material off both the spacer and the original flange. About 1/8" to 3/16" should be sufficient and there is plenty of material remaining.

No one else has mentioned this so it might be a variance from car to car. I don't think my alternator has ever been off the car. Not hard to correct but definitely inspect during your install, you would not want the plenum to actually touch the alternator.

·
Wingless Wonder
5,438 Posts
^^^ Perhaps the variation is with the brand of alternator fitted.

I know that the alternator that Lotus fitted for many years was made by Valeo.

Many of us have replaced the Valeo alternators with Bosch units.

I've seen Motorola alternators as factory fitment on other S4s's.

Finally, the '83 belonging to JennasEspritTurbo has a non-Valeo alternator (couldn't read the brand).

·
You can't make this up
1,162 Posts
^^^ Perhaps the variation is with the brand of alternator fitted.

Finally, the '83 belonging to JennasEspritTurbo has a non-Valeo alternator (couldn't read the brand).
Its top secret very very hush hush national security stuff. Its under the If I tell you clause.
I will try to get a id tag off it.

:nerd:

·
'95 S4s & '79 JPS #040
43 Posts
Hi,

Just getting around to installing mine but was going to get it powder coated first.

Anyone in the states know a paint number to match the intake or a spray can that does?

Thanks,
Rich

·
'95 S4s & '79 JPS #040
43 Posts
Rich,

The plenum plate holes (ID) were precision ground and stack OD was slightly reduced for tight press-fit. I have used Rocksett engineering adhesive (Cotronics Resbond 907GF adhesive can also be used) to secure parts (hopefully forever, LOL)
Cotronics Resbond 907GF 2300°F Adhesive and Sealant - 11 oz Tube at SkyGeek.com
Mr Dangerous,

If I remember correctly, steel and aluminum corrode when touching each other over time. Do you know if this adhesive would prevent that?

Thanks,
Rich

141 - 160 of 211 Posts