The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know anything about the new XT model Outback by Subaru? My wife is interested in one, and I'm curious to see how much the Outback model has been selling for. I know these days that 'normal' cars are under serious discounts. I.e. my buddy just bought a dodge truck with the hemi for 10k under MSRP!!

TIA!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Have checked out the Legacy 2.5 GT. The sales manager right off the top offered $1k under MSRP. Think the invoice gives them around a $2.5k margin. Wouldn't expect the deep discounts that the American car companies are doing.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Genjuro... go drive one. The Outback XT is nice... about 7.1 seconds 0-60 with the 2.5 liter turbo. I like the Legacy GT better. That's a 5.8 second 0-60 car with the manual transmission. The Subie dealers have been offering deep discounts and great lease rates on these cars, so that may be the way to go. (They depreciate pretty quickly.) It's a pity because they're sturdy cars and the Legacy GT I drove was very entertaining.

Bob

P.S. Subarus are EVERYWHERE here in Ukraine. I asked why and the overwhelming response was because they're incredibly durable, built like tanks, perform well, and it take almost forever to drive them into the ground.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Bob, don’t remind me. The 2.5GT limited is the sensible car competing with the Elise. Have a sport cars now that’s fun to drive. If I can hold out another ~ 45 days, it’ll be too late, because I’ll have the Elise. :D

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, thanks for the replies! Which one is the GT? Are you talking about the 3.0 liter?

No matter what my wife wants:

AWD
Heated Seats
Room for the kids crap
Not a mini-van
Power to get up and go when she needs it.
AT
Power driver seat

Other than that.. she doesn't care about anything else. Doesn't want a nav system or any fancy gadgets.

I want:

Safety
AWD
Her to be happy

Got any other thoughts on other cars?

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
The GT is the street version of the Legacy. 300-400 lbs lighter, lower more aggressive suspension and wheel & tire Package. Have driven the wagon with a 5 A/T. 0-60 time is around 6.8 sec, has buttons on the steering wheel to make shifts. It's a very nice package. Safety wise, they have 5mph bumpers, side air bags. The Forester is at the top of it's class, suspect the Legacy would do well in a crash.

Other AWD wagons, BMW 3 series, Audi A/S4, Volvo has a larger cross over SUV wagon that's AWD. Off hand can't think of anything else. They are all a good $10K over the Subie.

If you don't plan on much off roading and don't needed the added ground clearances the GT Legacy wagon would be quicker and more fun to drive then the Outback.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The Legacy GT has the 2.5 liter, turbocharged and intercooled 4 cylinder. It makes 250 hp, 250 lb-ft of torque. The 3.0 liter flat-6 in the Outback makes 250 hp, but only 219 lb-ft of torque. If it were up to me, I'd get the turbo...

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts