The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
1989 Lotus Esprit Turbo
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a very "non-turbo" '89 non SE Turbo Esprit for several years now and believed the issue to be a gremlin hidden in plain site somewhere in the vacuum system. The vacuum lines and elbows are being replaced at this writing as new parts trickle in from all the usual places. After reading correspondence on various underwhelming turbo performance from other owners I dropped the Cat pipe to inspect for a potentially misaligned matrix and to view the exhaust side of the turbo.

I wasn't too surprised to find the turbo wastegate flap misaligned with the orifice it is supposed to rest within when in the closed position. Bummer! But, at least it is all starting to make sense now... My question is, can a wastegate flap be replaced/repaired w/o removing the turbo from the manifold? The turbo removal looks like a booger of a job.

Travis

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think you're going to have to pull that. I would pull it and bring it to an expert. It's only a 50 minute job. Destructions are on my web page.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,855 Posts
Is that poppet 'flap' walking towards the hinge side? (to the right in pics 2, 3, 4) Doesn't seem as if it would seat.

If so, could it be adjusted/aligned towards the left?

·
1989 Lotus Esprit Turbo
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is that poppet 'flap' walking towards the hinge side? (to the right in pics 2, 3, 4) Doesn't seem as if it would seat.

If so, could it be adjusted/aligned towards the left?
Atwell,
It won't seat. Misses the aperture by 1/8" - 1/4".

The entire wastegate sleeve that the flap sits in seems to have moved outwards 1/8" - creating the misalignment.

I'll head over to Dr. Hess' site and read his instructions on turbo removal. I've be under the car for the last 45 minutes bending back three of the tabs surrounding the 12mm nuts that hold the turbo onto the exhaust manifold. The forward nut (closest to the motor) on the inboard side is a real head scratcher. I'm not seeing how I can access it.

Thanks for responding,
Travis

·
1989 Lotus Esprit Turbo
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you're going to have to pull that. I would pull it and bring it to an expert. It's only a 50 minute job. Destructions are on my web page.
Thanks again Dr. Hess. Headed over to your site now.

Travis

P.S. I might have the highest frequency of visits to your site over the past two weeks!

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,855 Posts
The forward nut (closest to the motor) on the inboard side is a real head scratcher. I'm not seeing how I can access it.
Un-bolt the trunk floor, and tilt it up to provide a straight approach?

When we pulled our engine (and removed the older turbo without the internal wastegate) that ONE bolt was a known challenge, and my friend Jim had welded a box wrench to a 90 degree angle. Couldn't find pictures of it though.

·
1989 Lotus Esprit Turbo
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Un-bolt the trunk floor, and tilt it up to provide a straight approach?

View attachment 1266211

When we pulled our engine (and removed the older turbo without the internal wastegate) that ONE bolt was a known challenge, and my friend Jim had welded a box wrench to a 90 degree angle. Couldn't find pictures of it though.
Atwell,

Good photo. I’ve removed to two right side 12MM Turbo/Manifold nuts. It’s now the other two that have me stalled out. They bathed in Kano overnight and I have heated them up with a propane torch a number of times before squirting cold water on them. Beyond the steam bath I’ve enjoyed (it feels like 90% humidity here in Maine already) I cannot get them to budge. Also, can only get an open wrench on them.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,855 Posts
Yeah, its a tough life without 'special Lotus tools'. :LOL:

Got an old 6-point box wrench that that you could grind the edges on, to make it thinner? :whistle:

·
Dreaded Prior Owner
722 Posts
My Stevens Alunox on a G-car exhaust manifold requires a DIY wrench as well for that "one" flange nut. 12 pt socket welded to a rod bent to fit the available access path.

·
Registered
264 Posts
My notes say:
I can get a full size Craftsman box end on the right front one if I'm lucky and the lock tab is all the way out of the way.

Try buying all the box end/combination wrenches at the local pawn shop in their junk tool box of that size and see which one fits. Heat and bend a little if you need to.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts