The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attention power addicts!

Monkeywrench Racing has been turbocharging the current generation of Toyota 1.8L engines since their introduction, and we're now planning a turbo kit for the Elise. I know that some of you feel that turbocharging may "upset the balance" or "not be in the spirit of the Elise"- I respect that, everyone has their own taste. We have been turbocharging the Toyota MR2 Spyder for some time now though, and I can assure you all that a properly engineered turbo system is quite driveable and an absolute blast. While not quite as hardcore as the Elise, the Spyder (2195 lbs, mid-engine) is very similar in spirit. Our shop Spyder got MUCH more fun to drive after addition of the turbo.

I write this not to advertise a product, but in hopes that one of you is interested enough in turbocharging to be the first to have a turbo'd 2ZZ Elise. Our experience turbocharging the Toyota 2ZZ engine means that we're not doing this by trial and error- we've got the tuning and reliability figured out. What we need is a car for fitment, to allow us to design the physical pieces. We'd like to build and tune the first system on an internally stock engine, but have all of the engine internals available so I'm sure we'll be building a full-on high boost system in the near future as well. We're located outside of Detroit, MI, although we have customers travel from all across the country so geography may not be too important.

I don't want to go in to more detail here but if you feel that you're interested in a 50%+ increase in power please drop me a PM or an email at [email protected] . I'll be happy to fill any and all in on the details and answer any questions.

Also, if the rest of you have questions about turbocharging or engine mods in general for the 2ZZ engine feel free to post or PM. I'll be happy to share our experiences in this area.

Thanks!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Just wanted to note that I personally know Matt (he let me race his Spyder in Michigan a couple years ago too). A good guy, and the company enjoys a good reputation.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Monkeywrench said:
Attention power addicts!

Monkeywrench Racing has been turbocharging the current generation of Toyota 1.8L engines since their introduction, and we're now planning a turbo kit for the Elise. I know that some of you feel that turbocharging may "upset the balance" or "not be in the spirit of the Elise"- I respect that, everyone has their own taste. We have been turbocharging the Toyota MR2 Spyder for some time now though, and I can assure you all that a properly engineered turbo system is quite driveable and an absolute blast. While not quite as hardcore as the Elise, the Spyder (2195 lbs, mid-engine) is very similar in spirit. Our shop Spyder got MUCH more fun to drive after addition of the turbo.

I write this not to advertise a product, but in hopes that one of you is interested enough in turbocharging to be the first to have a turbo'd 2ZZ Elise. Our experience turbocharging the Toyota 2ZZ engine means that we're not doing this by trial and error- we've got the tuning and reliability figured out. What we need is a car for fitment, to allow us to design the physical pieces. We'd like to build and tune the first system on an internally stock engine, but have all of the engine internals available so I'm sure we'll be building a full-on high boost system in the near future as well. We're located outside of Detroit, MI, although we have customers travel from all across the country so geography may not be too important.

I don't want to go in to more detail here but if you feel that you're interested in a 50%+ increase in power please drop me a PM or an email at [email protected] . I'll be happy to fill any and all in on the details and answer any questions.

Also, if the rest of you have questions about turbocharging or engine mods in general for the 2ZZ engine feel free to post or PM. I'll be happy to share our experiences in this area.

Thanks!
50% increase... That sounds kinda optimistic on stock internals:confused:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Although I don't think I am a canidate for the first car, but I do find it intrigueing.

I had a 1974 Z-28 turbochaged in 1978. Back when it very crude. Does anyone remember the old Accel kits. Carbs made it difficult. Adjusting the valves was a pain.

I haven't had a turbo car since, but a 50% increase would certainly give some of the thrills of a the 2001 Z-06 that I had, that the stock Elise would lack. I am not really a top speed guy, more of an acceleration and handling guy. OK, looks are important too..... OK, I want all, and more.... and for really cheap.... OK free would be better!

Monkeywrench,
What kind of results have you had on the 2ZZ on a built high boost motor?

I also presume you will have clutch, LSD and other recommendations once the Elise hits the streets here. Maybe you could become a sponsor on the forum as well.

Any NA build up results for the 2ZZ?

Good Luck!
Greg

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
FYI<
Garrett has got the same thing going with one of the first elises.

They asked if I wanted to be the lucky one, turned em down.
Chris
Are they still looking? How do I get in contact with them?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
It was probably five six months ago, think they already got someone.
sorry,

Just a question, why would you want to turbo it without driving it first to see what you think of the car??

Chris

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
It was probably five six months ago, think they already got someone.
sorry,

Just a question, why would you want to turbo it without driving it first to see what you think of the car??

Chris
I have a 300hp Miata, and have come to love the utter violent rush it can provide. It's almost a sport bike type of acceleration and feeling. Although I am sure the Elise's power is more then enough for most people as well as for the track, I would like a car with more of a supercar acceleration characteristics. I also love a car that can handle, that is small, and is kart like. Adding power will not take any of this away in my eyes. I just know that 190hp/135lbs is for the most part not going to be enough for me in the end. I would like my elise to hang in a straight line with the new vettes and or similiar cars and still weigh in at 2000lbs...what better car!

·
Registered
591 Posts
zvezdah1 said:

Chris
Not directed at me, but I'll respond anyway.

Why would get order Aubergine when I hadn't really seen it?
Why would order the Elise when I didn't know what engine it would have or what it would cost?

Just adventurous I guess!

I have owned a Mid-engined tail heavy car.
I have owned a higher horsepower to weight car.
I have owned great handling cars.
I have aowned higher horsepower to weight car that was great handling....

I am/was confident in my ability with all those cars.

As a result, I imagined that an Elise would be a fun car to drive. So I am the #8 car on order at Overseas Motors in Dallas.

I can also imagine that a higher horsepower to weight, mid-engined, great handling car would be even more fun! Hence the interest in power enhancements even before I get the car.

Maybe I won't do it, but I like to understand my options.

Greg

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Racer X said:
What kind of results have you had on the 2ZZ on a built high boost motor?

I also presume you will have clutch, LSD and other recommendations once the Elise hits the streets here. Maybe you could become a sponsor on the forum as well.

Any NA build up results for the 2ZZ?

We've got a couple of customers right at the 350whp mark, with room to improve on that.

We have a variety of clutches and the Quaife LSD on the shelf ready to go now. Sponsorship is probably something we'll look in to.

We're over 210 crank horsepower with our shop Celica GTS's internally stock 2ZZ. We have higher compression pistons available and are working on a head package, so it's only going up from there.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
zvezdah1 said:

Chris
The Elise will be able to handle more power than the 2ZZ cranks out. You'll know what I mean when you punch the gas pedal between 2500 and 5500 rpm- not a lot going on there. Ever driven an S2000? Add a turbo and you get a strong torque curve in the midrange and plenty of power up top. No need to keep the engine between 6k and 8k for it to feel fast.

Plus, I think that the Elise is going to have a great enthusiast following and many enthusiasts are not satisfied with a stock car. Everyone's tastes are different, but I don't often hear people complain that their brand new car has too much power.

A more direct answer- I can tell you, knowing the power and weight, that I would want more power (and TORQUE) if I owned an Elise.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I assume installing this kit would void the Lotus warranty. Is Monkeywrench going to offer some sort of warranty package to replace this? Kinda' like what ROOCK Tuning does.

Taken from http://www.roockusa.com/products/warranty.htm
The Warranty not only covers the products themselves, but also, all surrounding mechanical parts which could be affected by the upgrade performed on your automobile (Examples: engine, gearbox, drivetrain, drive shafts, suspension and brakes).

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
huggy bear said:
I assume installing this kit would void the Lotus warranty. Is Monkeywrench going to offer some sort of warranty package to replace this? Kinda' like what ROOCK Tuning does.

Taken from http://www.roockusa.com/products/warranty.htm
The Warranty not only covers the products themselves, but also, all surrounding mechanical parts which could be affected by the upgrade performed on your automobile (Examples: engine, gearbox, drivetrain, drive shafts, suspension and brakes).
Huggy,

As much as I hat to say it. A Turbo or Supercharger kit will void just about any manufacturer's warranty.

Best Wishes,
Mitch

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Magnusson-Moss warranty act requires the auto maker to prove that your modification caused a problem if they want to avoid covering a problem. You build a 500hp engine and break an axle, they've got a valid case for denying you. You add a high performance air filter and your crank sensor dies, they have to cover the repair. So it's not as simple as voiding or not voiding your warranty.

We don't offer full-vehicle warranties, but stand behind all of our parts and our work.

·
Registered
591 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
God kills a kitten everytime someone turbocharges an elise. :( ;)
Well, since it is a cat, is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Is that just one kitten? And do I know the person that owns it, or is it a kitten that nobodys owns or is abandoned? Is this kitten already sick and could die eventually whether or not I turbochange an Elise?

:) just kidding

No cats were harmed in the making of this post and I ask noone to harm a cat as the result of this post.

Greg

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
God kills a kitten everytime someone turbocharges an elise. :( ;)
So how many cat's did you kill in making a 400hp Miata, pot calling the kettle black maybe lol :D

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
So how many cat's did you kill in making a 400hp Miata, pot calling the kettle black maybe lol :D
Kittens dont die when you turbocharge a miata...just an elise. :p

I was kidding of course, Im eager to drive the car NA...however given my experiences with turbo miata's I know how much fun sheer power can be on sweet handling cars, its addictive, and Im intrigued and this is a topic that has been discussed in my household more than once in the past months.

Here's how I see it going for me.....

I get the car. LOVE the car stock. Drive the car constantly having a blast. Start thinking to myself...gosh this car is so much fun NA, I wonder how it would be with 100 more horsepower? And well...you know the rest. Its a sickness.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts