The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing with some pretty fun projects lately (in my opinion anyway:)), and thought I would use a thread to post up some general pics of some of the items we've been tinkering with. I'll try to keep this thread updated with pics as I take 'em...

The below pics are from this weekend. Went through a lot of machining today and a few miles filler rod, hehe... As we like to say, "chips were flying" (so much that a few ended up in my key board, which really makes typing a bear!)...

Building a handful of the of puppies below:cool:

Dr Gilmore made these really cool side scoops for me the other day:bow: Thanks Doc! (sorry about the dirty car:eek:)

BTW- You know it's been a long day when there's both a coffee cup and a chipotle cup on the bench:D

Best,

Phil

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
would like to have those side scoops

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
would like to have those side scoops
Ya the sidescoops are a work of art. contact dgilmore on here and he may hook you up with a set... he took my stock ones with him so he's probably converting those into this style as well... The screen is very open and free flowing and is near identical to the screen used on the exige radiator vents on the front clam, FWIW...

-PV

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are the dough-nut holes? Laugh out loud.
Hehe, They're the lid flanges for the tanks you see in the welding pics. O-rings go in the groove to seal the lid shut. Mounts behind to the drivers side of the wee-wee juice tank with a nifty mount that attaches to the roll-bar support... Standby for pics ...

-PV

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
swirl pots?
Hehe, They're the lid flanges for the tanks you see in the welding pics. O-rings go in the groove to seal the lid shut. Mounts behind to the drivers side of the wee-wee juice tank with a nifty mount that attaches to the roll-bar support... Standby for pics ...

-PV

:( I was hoping they were exotic cup holders.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
few things are prettier than aluminum chips.
GO GO GO!
sam

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
More play in the shop. Finally finshed my little surge tank. Uses an intank pump to help minimize noise, plumbing and packaging complexity for our cars. Mounts perfectly in the Lotus:D This is much easier and cheaper than replacing the gas tank to get away from fuel starve. Also cool is that you can match up the surge tank fuel pump with the tune that's in the car and/or upgrade the fuel pump to work with more power while never replacing the stock intank fuel pump, which we all know is a major PITA... Please pardon the fact that I'm using clamps on the nice An fittings, but it gets old ruining expensive fuel line for mock up purposes:eek: The surge tank hold plenty of fuel for no less than 30 seconds at WOT of fuel starve, which should help to save a motor or two:)...

Also cranking out some more hitches...

That's all for now:up:...

Later,

Phil

Attachments

·
Registered
648 Posts
Sweet so with the surge tank we can avoid ripping apart the entire car to get to the fuel tank. Ok now this might be a dumb one to ask but where is the fuel tank in the first place.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
between your behind and the engine..

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sweet so with the surge tank we can avoid ripping apart the entire car to get to the fuel tank. Ok now this might be a dumb one to ask but where is the fuel tank in the first place.
Correct. The installation is actually pretty easy with two exceptions. One is the return line. We mad a little T fitting adapter for the overflow that goes into the softline of the fuel filler. It's tight working conditions over there, but doable through the pass side wheel opening. There is some mild electrical work for the second pump relay, but no biggie really. Plumbing is all plug and play. So, yes it is nice because you can run a pump close to stock or a 255lp pump in the surgetank. I've personally experience fuel starve several times, and this little setup will eliminate that and provide for a fueling upgrade path as power levels demand it... That was the thought anyway;)

Cheers,

Phil

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
whats fuel starve, im guessing somthing to do with the engine getting lack of fuel in a way?
The fuel pickup is on one side of the tank. When the tank is low & you turn the other way, fuel sloshes to the non-pickup side. At WOT on a track with a long sweeper, all the fuel can slosh to the non-pickup side & stay there for the duration of the turn. That may cause your engine to quit (best case) or it may cause you to run lean for just long enough to pop the motor (worst case).

·
Registered
424 Posts
So, yes it is nice because you can run a pump close to stock or a 255lp pump in the surgetank. Cheers, Phil
Way better than what I had in the past on another car...2 pumps in series. I had a monster pump (pusher outside the tank) and a smaller (in the tank) pump. When the in tank pump took gas, pun intended, it stopped the flow to the engine. The monster pump couldn't push/feed through it. Pulling it from the tank and letting the monster pump do all of the feeding worked.

Questions: Can you use a 255 pump in the surgetank and have that as the main feed pump and use the stock pump as the filler for the surgetank? If so, that would seem ideal and in essence give you a 255 pump as your many duty dog.

So, if your stock (in tank pump gives out) you'd still have the 255 going to the engine. But would it have to be a puller to keep the surge tank full? Or would you have to run a different line (in parallel bypassing the ST) so the 255 would still have the capability to feed the injectors?

Good insight on the fuel issue!:up:

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep, you got it...

The stock pump is essentially the "lift pump". You leave it alone. It will not have any pressure other than gravity against it so it will pump plenty of volume to keep the surge tank full. In fact, it will typically be over pumping, thus the overflow hose going to the filler neck. Once the surge tank is full the excess goes back to the gas tank (hence the "overflow" hose).

The surge tank pump becomes the driver. I've got a 255 in my surge tank, but a 190 or stock pump could be installed in the surge tank as well. In either case, it's always the surge tank pump that creates the pressure to the injectors. And the surge tank pump obviously gets its fuel from the surge tank which is fed by the stock in tank pump... The fuel pressure regulator can be fine tuned to work with your specific tune. I haven't ran this setup on a Lotus/Katana/BWR tune yet, but plan to. If my theory holds, then a 190lph surge tank pump (which is slightly bigger than stock of 160), that has the fuel pressure turned down to the stockish 47 psi static pressure (and leave the boost pickup unplugged on the FPR as seen in the mockup pick), will work fine with the Katana/BWR tunes... Which would be great since so many engines have fried due to fuel starve...

I thought about making a more traditional surge tank with an inline pump, but packaging on this car so difficult and I didn't want fuel lines running all over the place or into the boot, etc... This is a pretty clean setup with only minimal additional plumbing and no cluttering of the engine bay, IMO:D...

Later,

Phil

Way better than what I had in the past on another car...2 pumps in series. I had a monster pump (pusher outside the tank) and a smaller (in the tank) pump. When the in tank pump took gas, pun intended, it stopped the flow to the engine. The monster pump couldn't push/feed through it. Pulling it from the tank and letting the monster pump do all of the feeding worked.

Questions: Can you use a 255 pump in the surgetank and have that as the main feed pump and use the stock pump as the filler for the surgetank? If so, that would seem ideal and in essence give you a 255 pump as your many duty dog.

So, if your stock (in tank pump gives out) you'd still have the 255 going to the engine. But would it have to be a puller to keep the surge tank full? Or would you have to run a different line (in parallel bypassing the ST) so the 255 would still have the capability to feed the injectors?

Good insight on the fuel issue!:up:

·
Registered
913 Posts
great mod! thanks for all the useful info you provide here! does the fuel tank have a baffle system to also help prevent this issue?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
The fuel pickup is on one side of the tank. When the tank is low & you turn the other way, fuel sloshes to the non-pickup side. At WOT on a track with a long sweeper, all the fuel can slosh to the non-pickup side & stay there for the duration of the turn. That may cause your engine to quit (best case) or it may cause you to run lean for just long enough to pop the motor (worst case).
Ahhh right thanks :)

1 - 20 of 123 Posts