The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick (and probably dumb) question:

Does the Evora have automatic headlights that come on at night or just daytime running lights? The 2 buttons on the left side of the steering wheel both seem to do the same thing, just one without the key being in the ignition. I read the manual and it doesn't answer my question and I honestly don't know why they put 2 buttons for lights or when I would use them.....

So far I just drive the car and haven't used either button, even at night.....

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Reading more of the manual again....

Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)
When the engine is started, the following ‘day time running’ lamps will automatically be activated: Front and rear sidelamps, side marker lamps and headlamp low beams. The sidelamps tell tale will also be lit (see above). Note that the headlamp main beams will not be operational until the master lighting switch is pressed, which will be confirmed by the corresponding tell tale.(see above).
When the ignition is turned off, the DRLs will switch off automatically, but not if the engine stalls. If the headlamps have been manually selected, the lights will remain lit until the master lighting switch is pressed (see above).

So whats the difference between the headlamp MAIN beams and the headlamp low beams? Are they talking about HIGH beams? Those dang British with their weird language.... :UK:

·
Registered
856 Posts
Main=High I believe

·
Asst. Helmet Tester
1,229 Posts
The Daytime Running Lights (DRL) are really just headlights on all the time. There is a thread about disabling the DRL. It's very simple and just involves unplugging a single connector above the passenger footwell. Once you unplug that, those buttons will make a lot more sense!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Daytime Running Lights (DRL) are really just headlights on all the time. There is a thread about disabling the DRL. It's very simple and just involves unplugging a single connector above the passenger footwell. Once you unplug that, those buttons will make a lot more sense!
That's what I thought - headlights are on all the time. That's fine for me.

Still not sure why there is a need for 2 separate buttons to turn lights on that are on all the time anyway.................. WTF??? :huh::huh::huh:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
For a while I never touched the light switch. Really seemed not to matter when driving around town at night. But you cant turn on your high beams. Like I say not an issue in town at night. I checked the tails etc and everything funtions as if the lights are on. So here is what else I found, if you turn the top switch on, you have to turn it off to turn off the DRLs. Same with the bottom switch that truns on the lights.

So are the lights automatic? No but they are on in a low beam setting at all times as a DRL unless disabled. Once you turn stuff on manually they do not turn off unless done manually.

·
2013 Evora S since 11/13
239 Posts
Yep, see my recent http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/headlights-always-248233/

I just did not occur to me, even when reading the manual 9 months ago "Daytime Running Lights" = turning on headlights and all other associated lights all the time. Personally, I'm not fond of it. I understand headlights being on but not the tail lights. I think daylight it actually reduces the effect of the brake lights.

I plan on doing the DRL mod, with one of the several rear turn signal fixes. My preference is to set it the way I want it which is to have separate DRLs on anytime when the car is running and the remaining lights on/off via the headlight button as most normal cars have.

You do need the headlight button pushed to be able to use the high beams (but not to just flash the high beams). This is the type of behavior that comes free with any Lotus.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
That's what I thought - headlights are on all the time. That's fine for me.

Still not sure why there is a need for 2 separate buttons to turn lights on that are on all the time anyway.................. WTF??? :huh::huh::huh:
They allow you to operate the lights when the engine is off. Otherwise they're all on. Of course with the DRL cable disconnected you restore manual operation while the engine is on.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Unplugging the connector disables the DRL, but you will get the fast blinking turn signals. If you're OK with that, then you're done. If you want to keep the normal blinking turn signals, you have to do the resistor splice. Not difficult, but one extra step, just so you're aware and not freaked out when you start getting the fast-blinking lights all of a sudden.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts