The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just noticed that my turn signal doesn't shut off after turning right, but it works fine turning left.

Has anyone dealt with that sort of issue on these cars? I believe the turn stalk is the same from 88 to 04.

I did just change out the steering wheel for an Elise airbag, but the car is so new to me, I can't remember if it was working before that project this weekend, and I also don't see how I could have messed it up since I didn't even take off the cover for that part of the steering column.

Does anyone know what I need to do to fix it? I don't want to be "that guy" that drives down the freeway with his blinker on in a super car!

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Not that it helps all that much; but I also did the same upgrade on my '98 and everything works fine. I was pretty careful keeping the "disc/collar" under the wheel complete stationary (did not allow them to rotate away from their original positions); don't know if that was critical or related to the cancel function. You might want to verify their relative position against the diagram which came with the adapter or PM Bob. If you get stuck, I can remove my wheel and take a photo of the internals... lemme know...

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Spree!

I also made sure not to move that disc. The problem is that I can't be sure the turn signal worked before the upgrade. Maybe once someone chimes in on how the turn signal shut off works, we will know if the steering wheel change procedure could have affected it. If so, I'll need to take you up on that generous offer to help!

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
It's a good thing you don't work for UPS ( they usually only turn right )

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Try this:

On the Momo wheel, the tolerance of the lug on the wheel boss in relation to the nylon plunger on the turn indicator switch is critical.* In some cases, the corner of the lug may need to be filed to form a sharp edge, the better to operate the plunger. Otherwise, the turn signal isn't cancelled after completing a turn and you run the risk of looking like so many (elderly) Florida drivers who appear to drive in circles all day because they leave their turn signals on all the time.*

The Lotus Esprit Fact File - Parts

Or

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/6769-tips-on-turn-signal-stop-install-with-momo-steering-wheels/#entry71066

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am really having trouble visualizing what they are talking about with the Momo wheel. It looks like a very different install than the Elise Airbag wheel:

"Underneath the wheel is an interesting device that is used to maintain the horn and airbag connections as the wheel rotates. It is aptly named a "rotary connector" in the Parts List. This unit has to be removed which requires that you remove the upper and lower (leather) steering column shrouds."

They are taking off the rotary connector, while we just put the Elise adapter on top of it.

Their pictures are also no longer available because it's a 2006 thread.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
You might try Jim Knowles, one of the original posters in that thread; he hangs out in the yahoo turbo forum. I'll PM you a way to contact

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
It's probably worth the effort to remove the wheel and check the location of the rotary connector. There is a procedure in the airbag manual to make sure it is set properly. If you PM me your email address, I'll send it to you.

If it's not that, then you'll probably need a new stalk.

Cheers,
Jim

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Suppose it's possible the PO removed the OEM wheel and put it back on wrong.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
You still "driving around in circles", clockwise?:sheep:

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
You still "driving around in circles", clockwise?:sheep:
Yep!

I made some progress on the turn signal, but I got side tracked this weekend installing an OEM center exhaust. That was higher priority because I couldn't take the custom open pipes (no cats, no muffler) that PO put on the car anymore. The noise was not pleasant, and I don't know how anyone tolerates cars without cats these days. They stink, and unless you like smelling like that poison gas all day, you have to shower after every time you drive the car.

The factory center exhaust sounds great to me, and it looks better, and no more stink. The engine is smoother too driving around town. And I was able to plug back in the secondary O2 sensor, and no check engine light.

Jim did send me the steering wheel manual -- thank you Jim! I studied that a bit this weekend, and I talked to PO. The PO is a great guy, and he told me that the turn signal was working fine, which is valuable troubleshooting information.

With work, it will probably this weekend before I have time to pull the wheel again to figure out what I did wrong.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
I'm getting ready for a new frontier... Exhaust

My 98 has factory everything and I bought 200 cell cats and a straight through center exhaust, no muffler, and have been fretting about how it's going to sound

I don't want loud and don't want a raw, unsophisticated, noise; just something a bit beefier and more free flowing

how about the cats; you install the factory OEM? 600 cell or whatever?
How's it sound? got any mp3 of before after?

I'm going to try to do a 30 second sample of before, with OEM, and another 30 second sample of after 200 cell/straight centers; but I'll probably forget in the 'heat of the moment'...

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Also, you might want to do a hard reset on your ECU because of the new setup... let it go through its training cycle.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The before was just nasty. Sounded like a raunchy 4 cylinder with a rusted out muffler. I don't really have any recordings.

If you put cats on there, even if they are 200 instead of the factory 600, they will lower the noise. My setup is the factory 02+ full 600 cats and muffler.

I bought them used for $400, so we'll see how long the cats last. I was able to reconnect the secondary O2 sensors without any codes, so that's a good sign. When they go bad, I'll just have a muffler shop weld in some 200 cats in their place. I had to spend about another $400 for the valence from JAE, which is a lot for some simple stamped sheet metal, but I couldn't find one used.

It's a bolt on installatiion.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
lotusespritse ,

did you have difficulty fitting the valence to your existing mounting points? I just received a call from the garage and the guy says it doesn't fit, that its completely the wrong part.

I haven't seen the result; but I have the exact same MY as you, '98', same stock previous setup and also purchased the same valence (oval hole cheesegrater) from JAE.

How well did your fitting go? anything special?

actually, the words were that "it fits like s..t"... typical analysis...

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I thought I had the same problem, and Alan from Cali helped me. The valence screws into the same 2 bolt holes as the previous wing, even though it has a bunch of holes in the valence for screws, you will only use 2 at the top.

I had to enlarge those holes and use bigger washers to give me more room to align the valence left to right.

Then you curve the lower ends back (with the angle brackets installed) and mark where to drill the bumper for those mounting holes. In the end you are only drilling 2 holes in the bumper and in an area that is not that exposed if you ever want to switch back.

I then "massaged" the valence to curve a little more in the middle. And I used chrome polish to clean it up, which works great on brushed metal without damaging it.

It doesn't look like it fits, but it does -- thanks again to Alan's help!

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
:clap:Thanks for quick and detailed feedback; I told him to toss it in the front seat and I'll deal with it later.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
...with the angle brackets installed...

What angle brackets? You received brackets with your valence?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts