The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Everyone!

I have searched all over but cannot find the solution to the problem I'm having. I have a 05 elise. My front driver side turn signal, along with the side marker, do not function whatsoever. I initially thought that the bulbs were bad, as the signal would rapidly click when activated. In addition, all of the other lights work with the indicator switch and the hazard switch. I tested both with a voltmeter and have no power to either bulb. I checked the harnesses and they are both fully connected. I also checked the fuse, hazard switch, and signal switch. Both have power coming in from the wiring at the column and center console, but the 2 lights still do not work. I think that replacing the indicator switch may resolve the issue. If not, the only other problem I can think of would be a loose wire between the column and lights...really hoping that isn't the case

I have owned this car for almost 3 months, so it is fairly new to me. Anything I may be missing? Your help is appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Bad common ground wire ?
don,t think side marker and turn signal connected but thru ground side
try to put a temp wire on the ground side of either light the to confirm.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I bought an Elise three weeks ago that had the same issue (very fast blinking). The Lotus dealer I bought from replaced a Module (Module Kit- Rear Lamp part number A123M0001S). Part cost was $205.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
I had an issue (and may still actually be the socket on my car) that the contact for the bulb within the bulb socket had broken and no longer making contact with the bulb - the small flat piece had slide down and wasn't making contact. The simple spring design had broken right in the curve of the spring - I ended up finding some solder and effectively wedging it between the bulb and contact - ensuring a tight fit and connection. Did this a few months ago and they've been working just fine. This is the first time I've thought about it since fixing it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You may also want to check your flasher relay under the dash. See this thread with pictures:

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bad common ground wire ?
don,t think side marker and turn signal connected but thru ground side
try to put a temp wire on the ground side of either light the to confirm.
Thanks for the suggestion. I think both lights are wired together based on the power wire both being the same shade of green and red. I really haven't messed with electrical much in the past, but I think I understand what you mean by a temp wire on the ground side.

I tested the ground on both lights by using the power wire from the other signal. Both had power, so I believe the ground wire is good. I think the issue is the power wire, between the switch and light. When the switch is disconnected I also have power at the wire coming in.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought an Elise three weeks ago that had the same issue (very fast blinking). The Lotus dealer I bought from replaced a Module (Module Kit- Rear Lamp part number A123M0001S). Part cost was $205.
Thanks for the input. When you had the problem, were all of the lights working properly except for the fast blinking?

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had an issue (and may still actually be the socket on my car) that the contact for the bulb within the bulb socket had broken and no longer making contact with the bulb - the small flat piece had slide down and wasn't making contact. The simple spring design had broken right in the curve of the spring - I ended up finding some solder and effectively wedging it between the bulb and contact - ensuring a tight fit and connection. Did this a few months ago and they've been working just fine. This is the first time I've thought about it since fixing it.
This was my first thought, but unfortunately not the problem. I swapped out the passenger side socket with the driver side, and both work fine on the passenger side. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You may also want to check your flasher relay under the dash. See this thread with pictures:

Thanks, I will look into that. If the relay is bad, wouldn't it kill the other signals also? All of my signals are working fine, except for the driver side front/sidemarker.

·
Premium Member
11,855 Posts
Given that emergency flashers work, not likely the relay or flasher. (Unless we have 2 of each....)

If you fooled with the flasher button before this started, I suggest reseating that button. If not set properly, can canse these symptoms.

·
Premium Member
11,855 Posts
Uh.....did you notice the post directly ahead of yours???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts