The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving down the highway, for no apparent reason, the signal just fell out. Luckily was able to pull over and save it. The tab on the bottom broke off. I was able to rig something up to hold it in place. The dealer should consider this a warranty item?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
®ob said:
Driving down the highway, for no apparent reason, the signal just fell out. Luckily was able to pull over and save it. The tab on the bottom broke off. I was able to rig something up to hold it in place. The dealer should consider this a warranty item?
It has happened to me twice, and is repaired under warranty. There are other threads that have discussed it. The latest one is the following:
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24634

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I was just driving with another Elise owner today, and while we were driving, his turn signal clip broke and the housing fell out. At the thread referenced above in post 26, I recently posted pictures of the fix my dealer did to the turn signal housings following the European service bulletin on this problem. I thought I would mention it in this thread because the title of the other one doesn't indicate that the thread is about turn signals falling out. (Maybe a moderator could ammend that thread's title to include what technical problem it is actually about.)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I'm gonna ask my dealer to do this. Seems better than just replacing the whole lens.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
ChrisH said:
I was just driving with another Elise owner today, and while we were driving, his turn signal clip broke and the housing fell out.
Went to Symbolic on Thursday, (Lee was not happy to see me), and it took 15 minutes and out of there. 1 minute to put the light on, 4 minutes to get it from stock, and 10 minutes to do the paper work.

Thanks Lee, if you reading here.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Just had mine done Yesterday at Lotus of Southbay.

·
Registered
803 Posts
be prepared to do it again...

Unfortunately, unless they spend more time with the installation of the new turn indicator, you are doomed to do it yet again. Unless they widen the opening or have redesigned the tab on the indicator housing, the tab will break again.

That is why my latest bungee cord fix is so elegant. It has compliance built in!

The good news is that the redesigned front end has a different solution for keeping the indicators retained in the opening. Something about an O ring or whatever...

Michael

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
sandsmuseum said:
The good news is that the redesigned front end has a different solution for keeping the indicators retained in the opening. Something about an O ring or whatever...

Michael
redesigned new clam? you mean the 07 clams?

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Turn signal fell out while driving, dangling by wire...bottom clip broke off!!

This just happened to me.

Yep...looks like this:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
This could very likely happen to you in your Elise/Exige especially if you have had recent work done to the front of the car, headlights, or radiator hose like me...

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Yeah, the "Third World" road I was driving on when my light fell out was the horribly rough, dangerous back road called Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills at 5 miles per hour.

Oh God, I shiver with fear just to think of it...

-eek-

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had the same thing happen on my first Elise. If you look at how it is retained, you will find that if you take a dremel tool and grind down the clam shell where the light clips in all you need to do is take down the clam shell enough to allow the turn signal to securely clip in and it wont come out again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My turn signal fell out again, it was a new one that lasted a couple of years. The clip didn't all the way break off so I repaired it with JB weld epoxy. The Epoxy held it together but the clip cracked elsewhere when installing it. So i coated the entire hairpin bend part of clip with JB Weld. This time clip didn't crack but also only held the light in very very loosely. I gave up on that idea, and did the "drill a whole and use a bungee cord" fix. There was only one piece of metal that I could wrap the bungee around inside the claim ('05 Elise), and it is pulling the bungee tight but is working well. The hook on the bungee did break the the bend off the clip completely off doing install. I broke where the JB weld stopped, if I had put any more of that epoxy one, it wouldn't have left enough clip to drill a whole into.

Bottom line: just drill the whole and use a bungee, a short one with a thin metal hook on the end.

·
Premium Member
12,062 Posts
Bottom line a smear of clear silicone is all one needs.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
A decent quality mini-bungee will last a long, long time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts