The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping to not have to post, but nothing I've read is leading me in the right direction and I need a logic check.

Since owning the car (1988 N/A) when turning left and actuating the column switch, if done lightly it would buzz a little. I would say "arc," but it wasn't quite that. I never took this as abnormal, just 80s electrics.

A few days ago, I went to signal left and I noticed the clicking sound generated by the flasher was rapid, roughly twice the speed, and the green turn indicator tell tale was not lighting. Upon further inspection, the left blinkers (orange, front) weren't illuminating. Hazards and right signal work as they should. Left turn rear blinker works fine (but blinks fast).

I swapped bulbs in the front orange markers--the ones I removed from the left and installed in the right, worked correctly. The left still did not illuminate. To me, this rules out bulb issues.

Parking lights work as they should. I've tried the hazard 10-15x actuating exercise. Basically, when I turn left, the flasher click sound is fast, the green turn indicator does not illuminate, and the orange blinker lights in front don't work.

I disassembled the steering column and cleaned contacts on the column switch, cleaned with Deoxit.

From what I've read elsewhere, I concluded this is not a flasher issue. Question, though, does the flasher handle both R and L signals? Hazards have a separate flasher, correct?

If it's not the bulbs in front (Left), is it something to do with the left front housing behind the orange lens? Perhaps a short in the wires? I didn't probe too far when swapping out the bulbs. The fixture looks amazingly new for a vintage car.

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Hello, It is a single flasher unit for both systems , Since you have rapid flashing at the left rear I would rule out the switch and flasher, The rapid flashing is due to the flasher not seeing the load of both front and rear bulbs, Working left parking light tells us there is good ground connection, Remove housing , inspect rear terminal strips , if that looks good trace back to the connector for the left side fixture, I suspect a loose or resistive pin for the power lead going to the left turn signal.

Hope this helps, Lou

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a follow up and closing to this thread. In the end, it was the bulb. Lesson learned, trust the science and common-sense knowledge. Even though the bulbs in the left housing were working when swapped out with those in the right, something about the turn signal bulb was amiss. Turns out, the contact point on the bulb was ever-so-slightly worn, or had less height, when compared to that of a new bulb. I replaced with a new bulb and all was good. Frustrating because troubleshooting took me down a few rabbit holes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts