The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Agh hell. Unlocked the car hopped in and when I turned the ignition just before hitting the starter the drivers window lowered itself mysteriously and is now stuck down permanently. Tried turning the car off/on/lock/unlock etc.

Any thoughts? Less than 400 miles too.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Oh boy, you haven't had a great start to this car. Sorry to hear your already having another issue.

Not sure why it would lower by itself, perhaps the button is stuck. I'd try messing with that first, followed by checking the fuse (maybe blown and why it won't go back up). Otherwise, it might be a window regulator issue.

Oh, and did you actually start the car? Have you been driving it or could the battery be low? Our cars have been known to do weird electrical stuff when the batteries are low...

Of course, a dealer should be able to get you all fixed up too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. I went for a drive and ran a few errands. Had to park and lock it with the window down 🤷‍♂️ I store the car on the provided battery tender. I like the fuse idea. It could always be worse! Sportscars always a have a few fiddly bits. It's awesome to drive! Spoke with the service manager who is always a few phone rings from answering and will schedule an appointment in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
This happens on mine, but only after a heavy rain. Have you washed your car recently? Water ingresses into the window regulators (poorly sealed) and makes them act all wonky. It usually resolves itself once it dries out.

You can also try repeatedly clicking up on the window switch. It might inch the window up a bit at a time.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Turning on the ignition simply powers the accessories such as the door window circuit. It's most likely something wrong with the switch. The circuit has been closed by contamination or a broken switch is my guess... like moisture as noted above. Should be a simple fix... but silly none the less.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So is checking the fuse on my own really not worth it? Seems easier than pulling off the door panel.

·
Hickory, NC
977 Posts
Regulators are known junk. I don’t lower mine anymore unless it’s an emergency. Once, the wife rode home in the rain, not a good day. I begged it to be the switch or fuse but it wasn’t...
Pony up and buy the new regulator ($700) and watch my YouTube on how to install it yourself
Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
So is checking the fuse on my own really not worth it? Seems easier than pulling off the door panel.
Doesn't hurt to check. It's in the front fuse panel, behind the passenger foot panel.

·
Maniacal Motorist
86 Posts
Is there a way, via the fuse block, to jump power from an adjacent slot, but with reversed polarity, so down would be up? The window would roll-up, then be depowered when the jumper wire is removed. Just an interim fix, but the car will be more secure

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have to imagine it's either just the switch or the connector in the door to the switch, and it's shorted down.

You're under warranty though, right? I'd have 'em fix it. It's a really simple system - I doubt the regulator is involved. It rolled down on its own. If you put it down and it failed to go up and got stuck, I'd think regulator.

Voting switch or connector, and either one can probably be solved long term with just some of the Lotus-OEM plastic baggies zip-tied around the connectors.

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Is there a way, via the fuse block, to jump power from an adjacent slot, but with reversed polarity, so down would be up? The window would roll-up, then be depowered when the jumper wire is removed. Just an interim fix, but the car will be more secure
No, that's all handled via the window switch and the regulator. The only way to manually get it closed would be to unmount the regulator, pull the window up, put the regulator back on, and then unplug its connections. You'd have to be mindful of the pulleys and cables, which might not like the center spindle being disconnected from the regulator gear.

You're under warranty though, right? I'd have 'em fix it. It's a really simple system - I doubt the regulator is involved. It rolled down on its own. If you put it down and it failed to go up and got stuck, I'd think regulator.
I agree with @esseye; if it's under warranty, have Lotus fix it. But the regulator can malfunction all on its own, and control the up/down of the window without the switch even being connected.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Can I ask did you resolve your window problem?

Please see below my problem.

Some background history: I purchased a 2017 Lotus Evora 400 back in mid February 2020 just before the Covid 19 restrictions. The vehicle had 2 miles on the odometer and it was never titled. I had the car shipped from another state that is some distance from my home. At the time, I went over the car pretty thoroughly with the Lotus dealer. The warranty was punched some time ago so I purchased the car with no factory warranty. The car now has a grand total 265 miles on the odometer and I have two issues.
  • My immediate problem is the driver's side window does not go down. The window does not move at all, including the auto drop when you open the door. The battery has a full charge and I pulled and checked the fuse - that is not the problem. Now I want to check the window switch and I am looking for some guidance on how to remove the switch? Do I need to remove the door panel to access the switch or does it just pop out with some gently prying? The passenger side window works okay.
  • The other longer term issue that I have was when I detailed the car. I found on the rear bumper several areas where there are small bubbles in the paint. Any ideas on what that is all about?
Any help or insight would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Can I ask did you resolve your window problem?

Please see below my problem.

Some background history: I purchased a 2017 Lotus Evora 400 back in mid February 2020 just before the Covid 19 restrictions. The vehicle had 2 miles on the odometer and it was never titled. I had the car shipped from another state that is some distance from my home. At the time, I went over the car pretty thoroughly with the Lotus dealer. The warranty was punched some time ago so I purchased the car with no factory warranty. The car now has a grand total 265 miles on the odometer and I have two issues.
  • My immediate problem is the driver's side window does not go down. The window does not move at all, including the auto drop when you open the door. The battery has a full charge and I pulled and checked the fuse - that is not the problem. Now I want to check the window switch and I am looking for some guidance on how to remove the switch? Do I need to remove the door panel to access the switch or does it just pop out with some gently prying? The passenger side window works okay.
  • The other longer term issue that I have was when I detailed the car. I found on the rear bumper several areas where there are small bubbles in the paint. Any ideas on what that is all about?
Any help or insight would be appreciated!
Hey mturnkey,
Sorry to hear about your issues. I would certainly start a New Thread on your situation. You'll get a better response.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everything is fine. No it is not. The regulator was bad like many of you pointed out as being a weak point/part. Getting a new one ordered and installed. As simple as that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts