The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the Turtlewax ICE because it doesn't leave white marks, can be used
on plastic parts, and is easily removable.

BUT, it only lasts about 6 months.
Is this common; do most waxes only last 6 months?

Alternatives that last longer....?

-Robert

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
TW Ice is JUNK !!........... get McGuires NXT 2.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I used Turtlewax Ice once and 6 months is extremely generous for how long it lasted. It seemed like it lasted about three weeks maybe four at most. While most waxes claim 6 months, I find they are very misleading and do not last nearly as long as they state. I must say that putting on the wax was extremely easy, I just wished it would have performed better.

+1 for the NXT 2, I use that and Zaino.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Zaino for the win, if you use the correct method when washing your car it will stay glistening and wet looking for years. Also it is optically correct/clear, so the more layers you stack on the wetter and deeper the effect. Also it is really easy to apply and remove, no buffing or rubbing required, wipe on wipe off . Just did my second coat for the year yesterday and my car glistens more than a brand new Lotus on the lot.....

If you ever have a polish or wax product that gets white on your black plastics there is a great natural solution, olive oil !

·
Registered
817 Posts
+1 for Meguiar's NXT

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
I use the TW Ice Spray after each time I wash the car. It only takes maybe an extra 15 minutes and my car looks great. So I don't need it to last months, just between washings. And on an all black car, the 'no white marks' feature was a priority.

If I was going to use a more expensive product, I would probably use Pinnacle products ( Pinnaclewax.com- Pinnacle Car Care Products ). My detailer uses them.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I love Zaino and also hear lots of great things about Adams.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Zaino for the win, if you use the correct method when washing your car it will stay glistening and wet looking for years. Also it is optically correct/clear, so the more layers you stack on the wetter and deeper the effect. Also it is really easy to apply and remove, no buffing or rubbing required, wipe on wipe off . Just did my second coat for the year yesterday and my car glistens more than a brand new Lotus on the lot.....
+1!
Zaino rocks!!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
TW Ice is decent, but I wax my car a lot more then twice a year.. :)

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,691 Posts
Another Zaino Fan

I've used a lot of products over the years. I got Zaino right after we got the Elise. I love it - it's not hard to apply. Doing it right is a lot of steps, but doing that once or twice a year, and using the Show Car Finish spray before events, works great. The one thing that's weird is the naming - Z1, Z2, Z3...
(I am not affiliated with the product - just a satisfied user.)

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
i prefer zaino - it looks as good, or better than anything else, and its waaay easier to use! i noticed that with no real special attention, it last about a year. no mess, no "white" residue, no plastic issues, and works fine on paint film.

·
Registered
981 Posts
6 months? Are you crazy? Do you wait for a cake of mud before you wax again?

I use Zaino (give it huge props as well), but driving it around, the car gets dirty fast, no matter what wax you use. Zaino gives you the best wet showroom look.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
NXT 2.0

·
Registered
317 Posts
Professionals generally use a four step process of wash, clay, paint correction, and some sort of wax or sealant as last step protection. Of these steps, the correction step is by far the most important and is usually overlooked by consumer enthusiasts. Consumer products marketed as acrylic polishes, glazes, liquid waxes, etc. are not capable of correcting paint flaws. Rather, they fill scratches and make flaws less noticeable. As you add "layers" you simply mask more of the flaws and come closer to what a properly corrected finish would look like. The absolute best finish would involve a two or three step machine polishing process to remove swirls, scratches, marring, etc. followed by whatever wax or sealant you prefer. Once you properly correct the paint, it looks perfect without any wax or sealant. The last step only adds protection, not shine. Once corrected the paint will stay that way for a long time with proper wash methods. Just top with a long lasting acrylic if you want protection that lasts a few months.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I checked out the Zaino site...clicked "Zaino Simplified" and no its not simplified!

It seems I only need the Z-2 Pro and maybe the Z-6 Gloss Enhancer. Right?

I don't have any swirl marks and paint is smooth when clean.

Where can I get this stuff over the counter?

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,691 Posts
Per Zaino's instructions, I washed the car with dawn first, to remove wax, etc. Then, I used their clay bar, and washed the car with their Z7 car wash.

I then used Z-5, because I had some tiny scratches and imperfections I wanted to correct. I followed up the Z-5 with Z-6, and did Z-2 twice, followed each time by Z-6. I used the ZFX accelerator with the Z-5 and the Z-2, so that each step took less time. (As I've said, the whole naming thing is confusing to me.) It took me over 5 hours last Saturday, but none of it was difficult. I'm very happy with the results!

·
Registered
526 Posts
NXT 2.0 is the best. A clay bar to get off all the junk helps out a lot also.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts

If you ever have a polish or wax product that gets white on your black plastics there is a great natural solution, olive oil !
+1

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Any real difference in protection between NXT paste and liquid?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts