The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some searching on this, but wasn't able to find a definitive answer. Does anyone know how reliable the TVS 300 is on the track? I hear intake air temps may actually be cooler than an MP62 setup with an intercooler, due to the TVS 300 running more in the supercharger's efficiency zone... but that doesn't mean the TVS 300 will be reliable / not suffer from massive heat soak / not blow up on a track.

About me / my needs: I do 10% track / 90% street, and my track is a windy, tight 1.8 mile track in Texas (Harris Hill Road), where it can easily get above 110F in the summertime. I'm not a very fast driver, and don't expect I'll ever be a fast driver, so I wouldn't expect the car to be pushed to 10/10ths for more than a few seconds at a time. I do have a friend who may occasionally drive the car at 10/10ths on bigger tracks, like COTA.

I have considered the TVS 400 with an intercooler, but at this point it (plus all of the upgrades needed to really take advantage of it) adds up to more than what I'd want to spend. Plus, I always like having upgrade paths, and not necessarily building the fastest build possible to start out with.

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
1,524 Posts
Most refer to it as REV300 rather than TVS and it's great on the track. You may want to consider jumping right to the REV400 and hex to help with heat soak in those temps! I only track spring and fall HPDE just to avoid that heat and REV300 is great and the PO raced it for nearly seven years before I got it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

This post also make it sound like the REV300 on track may not be a big issue, even with high temps, if you are a casual track user. And adding a little bit of race gas should make the system even less stressed?

·
Administrator
1,524 Posts
Yes with my upgraded Fastworks tune I told Phil I would be at 98 octane minimum at the track to protect the engine. I add Torco additive to bring it up. They adjust the tune according to your tune sheet and how your car is equipped and what you are looking for in terms of power.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
I'm not a fan of forced induction without an intercooler or some sort of cooling (water/meth injection). Speed costs, how fast do you want to go?

San

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
A little different than your question, but I have REV310 (M62 with intercooler) and I was a member for years at H2R with no issues in the heat. That set up can be an option too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oldmansan, I'm not looking to go stupid fast. I'm just doing an engine swap and a BOE tune, and "as long as I'm in there" I didn't know if I should skip the Torque 200 tune (~$900) and just pay up to get the supercharger kit on top + the tune it comes with. According to the dyno on BOE's website, it looks like the REV300 gets you ~277whp vs. ~161whp stock? That would be plenty for me, and honestly I would be OK with less power if I could get better reliability with it.

chotto, thanks for the data point! I hear the M62 ran outside of its efficiency range, so IATs were pretty hot, even with an intercooler. I bet the REV300 would work just fine at H2R for the speeds I'm capable of going (read: slow), and I'm probably overthinking it. Worst case scenario, I think the ECU would just pull timing if IATs got too hot?

Example of me previously overthinking things :) -

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
The subject is "track reliability" with a Rev 300.
The short answer is yes.
Now when talking about heat soak, well that depends on how hard you push the car on a track (road course) and how hot the weather is, it will heat soak but it's not less reliable. It will just pull timing and thus lose power.
I recently went from a M45 to a Rev 400. The M45 would get heat soaked in just two laps (temp mid 60's). It took me a while to log data and review to confirm what I was feeling. Speeds were slower.
Once I realized it was heat soaked, I no longer felt the need to push the car. There was no point. Now it was still reliable just heat soaked.
The Rev 300 is a bigger air pump and therefore doesn't have to work as hard so it will take longer to get heat soaked if at all. Again it depends on your driving style and conditions. I see no reason to doubt its reliability on the track. Worst case it will pull timing and you will have less power. I know one thing, you will still have more power than a fresh M45 ;-)

note: Regardless M45 or Rev series, when on track I always mix 100 with 91. I like to keep the octane rating >95. I've done this for many years so it's not something I just started doing when I got my Lotus Elise SC

If you're on the fence, go for it. BOE is as good as it gets! The Rev series solution is fantastic!
Cheers

·
Administrator
1,524 Posts
Leaded race fuel is readily available here at local gas stations but harder and more expensive to get unleaded race fuel. I have found that Torco works well and is handy in sealed one quart containers. Easy to bring up to 98 where Phil spec'ed minimum octane at for my tune. It make the difference in detonation!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ID2F, thanks! It sounds like the REV300 should work fine for my needs then. If nothing else, I can use it and log stuff to see if timing is getting pulled, and modify things from there.

Catsailr27, thanks for the recommendation on the Torco. I'm guessing some one, somewhere in Austin probably has it in stock and available. It's a pretty motorsports friendly town.

·
Administrator
1,524 Posts
I order from Summit since I live in the sticks, Funny The corner gas station has 110 leaded available at the pump though.

Reactions: lllest

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
VP Racing Fuel also make an octane booster, I have been using it for a couple of years now with good results. Look it up, it's called VP Octanium.

Reactions: lllest
1 - 12 of 12 Posts