The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone know what the reasoning is for having the tach and speedo mounted on an angle? I had thought that it was just my gauges that were twisted, but I've noticed the same in other Esprits (V8's anyways). The attached pic isn't of mine, but the gauges are turned the same.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Somehow the previous owner like the gauge a little bit angled or his eyes is crossed.
Pretty easy to open the cluster and position the gauges in any which way you want.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,422 Posts
Not sure about that slight turn, but some do it so the needle points up (or where they want) when they need to shift or are at the speed they want. This can make looking at the gauges faster to look back at the road.

·
Registered
686 Posts
That looks sooo silly.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Keep it like that and you could name your car 'Crosseyed Mary' after the song. I've seen gauges twisted for tach reading but never that. :scratchhead:

Robert

·
Registered
480 Posts
Would anyone know what the reasoning is for having the tach and speedo mounted on an angle? I had thought that it was just my gauges that were twisted, but I've noticed the same in other Esprits (V8's anyways). The attached pic isn't of mine, but the gauges are turned the same.

Sort of reminds me of a Morgan's headlights.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I was a little hesitant about clicking on this thread given the title. Very glad to see its just a speedometer issue and not anything else.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,090 Posts
I was a little hesitant about clicking on this thread given the title. Very glad to see its just a speedometer issue and not anything else.
My thought exactly... -eek-

rotfl

The thread DID garner responses from several non-Esprit owners...Hmmm....

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Not uncommon. The speedo is held in place by a large plastic nut around the circumference and it loosens or cracks allowing the gauge to turn. Glue it in place.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not uncommon. The speedo is held in place by a large plastic nut around the circumference and it loosens or cracks allowing the gauge to turn. Glue it in place.
David Teitelbaum
Thanks David. I thought perhaps it was done for some specific reason, such as the "redline at 12 o'clock" suggestion. But, I guess its just another one of those things that rattles loose on these cars. Funny that I've only ever seen the speedo and tach rotate in opposite directions. Never both the same way. :scratchhead:

Haha... The thread title was purely an accident. But you still had to look anyways, eh?

·
Registered
690 Posts
I would have never guessed that was on purpose.

San
It's a fairly common thing in racing- as stated above, the gauges are turned so that normal readings are at 12 o'clock. That way drivers can check the gauges with minimal eyes off the road.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Having all gauges nominally pointing straight up when things are "normal" is an airplane thing. That way when you do your scan of the instruments you don't have to read each one. Especially when you have multiple engines and a lot of "steam gauges". That's what they call the old analog circular gauges. Newer instrumentation is all going electronic on displays so you can present information in a lot of other, different formats like graphs, blinking lights, colors, etc. The other thing done is to use color in the gauges so you can quickly see at a glance if it is green (OK) or red (not so OK) or yellow. They also use tick marks for specific action points.
David Teitelbaum

1 - 14 of 14 Posts