The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With apologies because yes I did search, but we all know the limitations of that process.

1) While I have read posts about the lack of a footrest, I didn't really understand the issue ntil I had the pleasure to recently drive an Evora. The pedal box is very small. Where exactly do you put your left foot?

2) The Alpine nav radio is "satellite ready." Other than account activation, is anything else required?

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
With apologies because yes I did search, but we all know the limitations of that process.

1) While I have read posts about the lack of a footrest, I didn't really understand the issue ntil I had the pleasure to recently drive an Evora. The pedal box is very small. Where exactly do you put your left foot?

2) The Alpine nav radio is "satellite ready." Other than account activation, is anything else required?
1. You put your foot down in front of the pedal. Or lightly leave it leaning on the pedal (non-depressing). If it's a big deal, follow the footrest thread. Alternatively, you can buy one made specifically for the Evora---Sector111.com offers a nice footrest bracket for about $90 ($75+s&h+taxes, if you're in California).

2. No. If your car came with the NAV, you have the tech package, which also has the the Sirius XM module.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
You ought to try driving an Europa or a Seven or many other cars where it's not possible to put your foot to the left or forward of the clutch pedal. I absolutely did not miss the dead pedal after driving her five minutes.

·
Registered
489 Posts
You may not even notice that you do not have a foot rest. Not much space down there to start with. I just put my foot down wherever it lands.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
You ought to try driving an Europa or a Seven or many other cars where it's not possible to put your foot to the left or forward of the clutch pedal. I absolutely did not miss the dead pedal after driving her five minutes.
+1--or an Elan :D. "Lack" of a dead pedal is a complete non-issue, IMO (although it does help if you have small feet ;)).

·
Registered
40 Posts
1. You put your foot down in front of the pedal. Or lightly leave it leaning on the pedal (non-depressing). If it's a big deal, follow the footrest thread. Alternatively, you can buy one made specifically for the Evora---Sector111.com offers a nice footrest bracket for about $90 ($75+s&h+taxes, if you're in California).

2. No. If your car came with the NAV, you have the tech package, which also has the the Sirius XM module.
Hi Squiward, i have a lauch Edition ( so it should contain the teckpackage... ) but i'm not certain i have the Sirius system, are you totally certain the teckpackage should contain that stuff???
Because i'll have to ask my dealer for another missing part!

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I rest my foot behind the clutch pedal when on the highway - otherwise just in front. I have had no issues nor have I ever wanted a dead space.

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
Behind clutch on highway or drive a bit further back for a bit more room on longer jaunts which will be coming soon.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Squiward, i have a lauch Edition ( so it should contain the teckpackage... ) but i'm not certain i have the Sirius system, are you totally certain the teckpackage should contain that stuff???
Because i'll have to ask my dealer for another missing part!
That's why i asked. I was fooling around with the radio and didn't see the satellite option/icon anywhere. Even if there's no active account, you usually see a button, or there's an icon, or something.

·
Registered
260 Posts
You may not even notice that you do not have a foot rest. Not much space down there to start with. I just put my foot down wherever it lands.
+1

I initially was worried about this too, but driving it, I have to say I don't even think about it anymore

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sat Radio/heated seats

Sorry to raise this again, but after viewing many posts and websites, it's not clear that every Alpine Blackbird portable satellite GPS has satellite radio. The actual Lotus description says satellite navigation. Is it possible that early 2011's did not have satellite radio standard? I feel like a similar issue has been identified with the heated seats, where it says they are included, but some do not have them.

TECHNOLOGY PKG
-inc: Alpine multi-media system w/7-inch touch screen, removable navigation system, DVD-R/-RW, MP3/WMA/DivX playback, 2x50-watt high pwr amp, (4) speakers, 150W subwoofer, USB port, iPod connection w/glovebox docking cradle, aux input, Bluetooth, steering wheel-mounted cruise control, tire pressure monitoring system, rear parking sensors

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
The Blackbird unit does not have a satellite radio receiver. The Alpine headunit does, and uses a separate antenna mounted underneath the driver side dash.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Sorry to raise this again, but after viewing many posts and websites, it's not clear that every Alpine Blackbird portable satellite GPS has satellite radio.
There are two different satellite receivers, be careful not to conflate them.

In Evoras with the earlier IWA-505 Alpine, The Blackbird unit contains the satellite GPS receiver used for navigation. This would be 2010 and earlier production.

The satellite radio (Sirius) receiver is in a separate module connected to the head unit, and hidden away somewhere behind the dash. I believe that the Sirius module was standard with the tech pack, but I might be mistaken. Mine has it, but I don't use it. I've considered pulling it out and getting an HD FM module instead, but I think it requires major surgery to the dash to reach it.

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
The satellite radio (Sirius) receiver is in a separate module connected to the head unit, and hidden away somewhere behind the dash. I believe that the Sirius module was standard with the tech pack, but I might be mistaken. Mine has it, but I don't use it. I've considered pulling it out and getting an HD FM module instead, but I think it requires major surgery to the dash to reach it.
Correct. it is underneath the dash right in front of dash gauges. You have to remove the radio, the gauge display assembly and the glovebox glovebox, before you can remove entire dash, which is required to access satellite module. Swapping the Sirius module with an HD Radio will easily be 4-5 hour job. Not for the timid.

It's better to just add the HD-Radio to the AI-Net chain at a different location, and use extension cables to route the cabling.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
here's the description of the 2011 Technology package. Not sure sirius was standard. Might just be a later addition.

Technology Package ($2,995):
O--Upgraded stereo system with: · Alpine Mobile Media Station · DVD±R/±RW/MP3/AAC/
WMA/DivX Playback · 2x50W High Power Amp (6.25”
coaxial 2-way speakers & dash mounted tweeters) ·
Alpine lightweight amp with lightweight 150 W
subwoofer · 7" WVGA Touch Screen display · Alpine
BlackBird Portable Satellite Navigation · Bluetooth mobile phone connection · USB connection for various
iPod models, selected other MP3 players and memory
sticks · iPod connection and docking cradle in glove box
· Full speed AUX input · Quick search · Cruise Control,
included in steering wheel · Rear parking sensors

you could then add 2 additional upgrades: reversing camera, and/or IMPRINT sound.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts