The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been over a month and a half since my car went into the shop, and now I find out that I have to wait another two weeks just for the special glue to arrive from England. Apparently the carbon fiber crash box is glued to the frame with that special lotus glue which happens to be a hazardous material and must go through customs. I can't believe Lotus didn’t plan on having any of this glue in the states (or any of the parts for that matter.) I have been so disappointed with Lotus as a company, it seems like they have let me down every step of the way. From lack of information in the early stages to not being prepared to fix these cars in anywhere near a timely manner, or there lame 3 year warranty, how about the 300 bucks I had to pay for the 1k checkup. Don't get me wrong, I love my car, but I have already forgotten what it is like to drive it. I'm not sure I will want to drive it when I get it back, I will be too afraid something else will happen to it and it will be gone for another couple of months.

Has anyone else had to wait on this glue? If so can you tell me what dealer to contact in the hopes they may have some. Maybe it will expedite this already painstaking long process.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
At least it is winter now:shrug:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Special glue????

Someone is telling porkies here methinks...

Crashbox is glued to the chassis using BetaSeal 1701 glue from Gurit-Essex, which AFAIK is a DOW-Chemicals sub-division.

Don't really see why it would be a problem to obtain in the US...

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Arno said:
Special glue????

Someone is telling porkies here methinks...

Crashbox is glued to the chassis using BetaSeal 1701 glue from Gurit-Essex, which AFAIK is a DOW-Chemicals sub-division.

Don't really see why it would be a problem to obtain in the US...

Bye, Arno.
Hmmm.. Can you refer me to something official from Lotus where it mentions this? I would like to use this bit of information with the dealership and the Atlantic rep who may be giving me the run around. Thanks.

·
Registered
724 Posts
just curious did you hit something or did the orig glue job just not take? that could b a prob if the glued together chassis starts to unglue

·
Registered
389 Posts
revo303 said:
It's been over a month and a half since my car went into the shop, and now I find out that I have to wait another two weeks just for the special glue to arrive from England. Apparently the carbon fiber crash box is glued to the frame with that special lotus glue which happens to be a hazardous material and must go through customs. I can't believe Lotus didn’t plan on having any of this glue in the states (or any of the parts for that matter.) I have been so disappointed with Lotus as a company, it seems like they have let me down every step of the way. From lack of information in the early stages to not being prepared to fix these cars in anywhere near a timely manner, or there lame 3 year warranty, how about the 300 bucks I had to pay for the 1k checkup. Don't get me wrong, I love my car, but I have already forgotten what it is like to drive it. I'm not sure I will want to drive it when I get it back, I will be too afraid something else will happen to it and it will be gone for another couple of months.

Has anyone else had to wait on this glue? If so can you tell me what dealer to contact in the hopes they may have some. Maybe it will expedite this already painstaking long process.

I feel your pain. My shop told me 3 months before I get my car back. I'm thinking 4 months just in case. :(

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hogfan said:
just curious did you hit something or did the orig glue job just not take? that could b a prob if the glued together chassis starts to unglue

The car was in a wreck, nothing wrong with the original glue job.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Arno said:
Just because it DOW-Chemicals division doesn't mean that it's normally available here in the US. There has to be a need for the stuff before people start stocking it...

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
This slow response by Lotus is disappointing, but is exactly what I expected based on what I had heard about them previously.

Lotus, listen up, if you really want to increase sales in the US, you need to better understand the expectations of this market and get your act together!

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
considering the historical body of evidence i humbly submit that the consumers had best adjust their expectations of papa lotus. not that i like the idea of it...just seems a reality

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hi, Jake -

I don't know anything about the glue, but I just realized that it was your car that was talked about in a thread awhile back. :( Don't know why I didn't realize it at the time. Anyway, just wanted to tell you I was sorry to hear about the damage, but at least everyone was okay. Hope your car is back to perfect soon.

- Ellen

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
MattG said:
This slow response by Lotus is disappointing, but is exactly what I expected based on what I had heard about them previously.

Lotus, listen up, if you really want to increase sales in the US, you need to better understand the expectations of this market and get your act together!
:D That will not Happen:D .

m

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Re: Re: Two months in the shop!!

II-soon said:
I feel your pain. My shop told me 3 months before I get my car back. I'm thinking 4 months just in case. :(
I must have missed your post. What happened to your car?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
LotusLust said:
the consumers had best adjust their expectations of papa lotus. not that i like the idea of it...just seems a reality
The reality is that we have a very low volume, great sports car at a relatively low price. I'm sure that Lotus could improve how they do things - however, I don't know about you, but I can't afford a $60,000 to $80,000 Elise...

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
ive commented before.....the english have a different way of doing business....
and we also have to realize, in many respects, our car is a notch or two above a kit car....
spare parts right now are hard to come by.
i dont doubt the glue is hard to find....u cant get krypton green paint here yet either, even though its a dupont paint.
as someone said, at least its winter.....
good luck

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I wouldn't slam them quite so hard.. Most any imported car manufacturers take a while for their parts to start arriving once the new model has arrived.
Would you rather them to have said "we have to delay production for ANOTHER month or so until we have parts available in the USA." ?

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Porsche has similar issues too... Some folks who buy them feel like they are the first one that ever had an accident or whatever after speaking with the dealer. Things like the glue issue will tend to evaporate over the Winter (pun)

Stan

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
TimMullen said:
The reality is that we have a very low volume, great sports car at a relatively low price. I'm sure that Lotus could improve how they do things - however, I don't know about you, but I can't afford a $60,000 to $80,000 Elise...
spot on. sounds like you got my point exactly

1 - 20 of 22 Posts