The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Apparently, heat cycling your tires makes them non-returnable.

Here's the deal:

My parents got me four new tires for my 2007 Lotus Exige S as a birthday present. It desperately needed new front tires, but the backs were still about 6/10, so I left them alone. As many of you know, my poor baby is no more. She got trucked away to a USAA facility after being declared a total loss. An idiot pulled a hit and run after smashing my front end on a curve in the rain... I almost saved the car, but then the front tires dug into the curb, sledge hammered the car into a spin, and TREE! happened. Those front tires sure were sticky... :(

I'm going to replace my car with another Exige (storm trooper S240 I hope), but I'm paranoid after that rain accident, it could have been so much worse for me and my passenger. I'm going to equip the new baby with all weather tires and an LSD.

So I'm left with 2 rear Yokohama A048 heat cycled tires that are non returnable. They still have the white stripe and cellophane wrap on them. The asking price is $560, which means you get free heat cycling and free shipping from me (it's the least I can do, since I'm screwed without you guys).

Send me a PM or call me at 516.459.5087 if you're interested. If you live on Long Island and pick them up, I'll knock $20 or $40 off, since you're doing me a big favor and I won't have to pay to ship them out.

Thanks so much guys!

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
I'm confused. Don't tires get heat cycled by driving on them? And these are brand new tires still wrapped in plastic?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Some tire dealers offer to pre-heat treat tires under controlled conditions so that you don't have to "break them in" yourself. I assume that is what these had done.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
correct, they are heat cycled with rollers in the proper manner for a day or two, so that you don't have to go easy on them after throwing them on the car.

Note:

the price has been changed from $500 to $560. I found out that the rear tires were $570 on the invoice, not including shipping. If you have already sent me a PM, I will give you the old $500 price.

They are LTS (lotus tuned suspension) and still plastic wrapped with stickers on them. I think they are 195/60 btw. I will confirm later.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I think they are 195/60 btw. I will confirm later.

Thanks guys.
Yeah - I think you should confirm because the rears should be 225 or something thereabouts. 195s are more likely for the front. your best bet is to post pics showing the tire size and condition.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, right you are... condition does not apply here, though, they are still wrapped and stamped, lol.

* Rear: 225/45R17 Lotus
* Serv. Desc: 90W Load Index 90 = 1323lbs (600kg) per tire
Speed Rating “W” = 168mph (270kph)
* UTQG: Treadwear: 60
Traction: AA
Temperature: A60 AA A

I'll post pics when I have the chance

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SOLD!

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
Good to hear you sold the tyres and even better to hear that you are getting another Exige :)

I'm going to replace my car with another Exige (storm trooper S240 I hope), but I'm paranoid after that rain accident, it could have been so much worse for me and my passenger. I'm going to equip the new baby with all weather tires and an LSD.
...but if you are seeking better grip and a higher margin of safety an LSD is not the safer option (which is why Lotus does not sell the LSD without TC)!!

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
That means they've got three more heat cycles left in them before they're crap.

xtn

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
xtn, :thwack: :thwack: :thwack: quiet you.

And Aedo, I'm not getting another Exige, unfortunately :(

I can't justify getting another one as my only car, it's not fair when a Lotus dies. I'd be putting about 20-30K miles on it a year at my current job, until I get an offshore position with Halliburton (hopefully before the end of this year). Someone else would likely smash my car again, and insurance just dished out 55K, holding me 0% responsible for the hit and run.

I also would've worn my horn out driving on the LIE in rush hour, and my hair would be grey within months.

I want nothing more than another Lotus, but I'm getting a BMW 135i as a daily driver for now. Once I get a new job/my own place, and have some money to spend on a weekend car, I'm replacing my baby. For now, the 135i will be a good daily driver.

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
bummer :(

but a 135i is great car too :) (I plan on getting a 1 series shortly as a spare family car - we get the 5door version here!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts