The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my car has some battle damage from Philly parking and my wifey, and I was thinking of painting it a Gulf Racing scheme (just the pattern). I would keep the factory storm titanium on the upper half and graphite grey on the bottom. Do you guys think that they would go together well or would there be enough contrast. I might try and do this by the Carisle show in two weeks since I just got a call from "her" now telling me about some new rear paint work needed, plus my front still needs work from last fall. Any other suggestions on color?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Well my car has some battle damage from Philly parking and my wifey, and I was thinking of painting it a Gulf Racing scheme (just the pattern). I would keep the factory storm titanium on the upper half and graphite grey on the bottom. Do you guys think that they would go together well or would there be enough contrast. I might try and do this by the Carisle show in two weeks since I just got a call from "her" now telling me about some new rear paint work needed, plus my front still needs work from last fall. Any other suggestions on color?
Sounds like it would look really sharp! The '88-89 MR2's had a light silver/dark silver combo that really stood out. I looked all over for one before I settled on the red '88SC. Good luck with the paintwork and by all means post up the pics when you are done! :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
I am not sure if there will be enough contrast between those 2 colors? Maybe you can have one of the photoshop gurus here mock one up for you so that you will get a basic idea :shrug:

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
It might look better two-toned with arctic silver or black. What color is your interior?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I wouldnt even want to get involved in a color change. Factory paint cant be topped by the worlds best hand. Dont get me wrong there are some amazing guys out there, but if theres no damage I wouldnt mess with it. Why not just do some striping? I like the contrast of S111s blue car.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
...Factory paint cant be topped by the worlds best hand. ...
a one armed drunk chimp could paint a car with a bristle brush better than the chaps in hethel do with their production cars.

·
Registered
98 Posts
a one armed drunk chimp could paint a car with a bristle brush better than the chaps in hethel do with their production cars.
rotfl

Yes, but the factory has a warranty. I dont know of any painter that offers a warranty with his work.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wouldnt even want to get involved in a color change. Factory paint cant be topped by the worlds best hand. Dont get me wrong there are some amazing guys out there, but if theres no damage I wouldnt mess with it. Why not just do some striping? I like the contrast of S111s blue car.
I painted about 47 paint completes within a four year time period as well as quite a lot of partial paints. The only reason I'm not comfortable is that I don't currently have proper booth. I'll just have to load up on the clear so that I can wet sand and buff out whatever dirt I get. I'm keepin the car storm tit. but it would just be a small amount of new paint on the front and rear bumper areas and just under the door. And the stripe in the middle least I forget. I have a soda blasting business so if all goes ugly it'll only take a few mintues for a "do-over".

·
Registered
606 Posts
I don't have the photo close at hand to give a visual reference, but on a UK site, I once saw a scheme that took the look of the 49 and other lotus GP cars and applied it to the S2 Elise. Basically the contrasting color on the area surrounding the center front grill opening with a single center stripe front to back. It actually worked - I was surprised. This would have more of a heritage feel than a Gulf inspired Lotus scheme, wouldn't it?? I could be wrong about this, however...

I must say, I've always liked the Gulf scheme, though.

- Allen.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
graphite with silver stripes

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Graphite is a blueish gray and Storm Ti is a brownish gray. I would NOT use them together for any paint scheme.

That is excatly what I was going to say. The idea is good, but don't use GG as your contrast color just because it is a factory option. Also, due to the shape of the design I would think that you'd want to go with a color that is obviously different to avoid the front 3/4 view looking like your panels just don't match. Do it in a silver and maybe use a thin black pinstripe to separate it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts