The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have one?
I was thinking of putting in my viper 5901 alarm from my celica into the Lotus since i'm selling the celica.

I don't quite understand the microwave thing our car has... do they all have it ? I don't seem to find a difference in mine.

·
Registered
214 Posts
at the most basic level, you will need a bypass module with the 5901. i haven't done extensive research, but the site that most people use for wiring diagrams (the12volt) doesn't have anything listed for the elise. however, i'm sure there are modules for these cars. this is only for the remote start capability, if you are just looking for added security and range, the 3303 would do just as well.

the microwave module is like the DEI 508D module you can add to any aftermarket alarm; essentially, there is an area where it will detect movement (your cabin) and set the alarm off (imagine someone putting their arm into your car when the windows are down). yours may need to be adjusted if it is not going off

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So they all have a microwave sensor?

·
Super Moderator
5,453 Posts
at the most basic level, you will need a bypass module with the 5901. i haven't done extensive research, but the site that most people use for wiring diagrams (the12volt) doesn't have anything listed for the elise. however, i'm sure there are modules for these cars. this is only for the remote start capability, if you are just looking for added security and range, the 3303 would do just as well.

the microwave module is like the DEI 508D module you can add to any aftermarket alarm; essentially, there is an area where it will detect movement (your cabin) and set the alarm off (imagine someone putting their arm into your car when the windows are down). yours may need to be adjusted if it is not going off
Great first post! Welcome to LT :wave:

Yes they all have microwave sensors.

Why do you want to change the factory alarm anyway? I've not heard of it failing to protect the cars from theft :shrug:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great first post! Welcome to LT :wave:

Yes they all have microwave sensors.

Why do you want to change the factory alarm anyway? I've not heard of it failing to protect the cars from theft :shrug:
Three main reasons:
I like the security if the two way alarm system
Remote start
Better looking key fob. :D

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the brain of the alarm is not in the ECU correct? It better not be- what an abomination of engineering that would be... lol

·
Registered
214 Posts
Three main reasons:
Remote start
Better looking key fob. :D
please post up if you do end up adding the 5901 to the elise (what bypass you used, etc). i would likely do the same eventually when i acquire the parts.

also, is there a service/wiring manual for this car that is easy to get?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That would be very helpful if someone had the electrical diagrams for our cars.

·
Registered
94 Posts
On the subject of microwave sensors, my garage was right next to my kitchen at my last house. If i used my microwave, it would set my elise's car alarm off! Distance from microwave to car sensor was about 10 or 12 feet. Microwave was a 2008 vintage GE.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Yes. You may have not noticed it because there is a delay before it starts functioning.

Turn on the alarm, and stick you hand into the cockpit, and nothing happens. Wait a couple of minutes, stick you hand in, and the alarm will sound.

Three main reasons:
What is exactly un-secure about the factory alarm? Open anything up, and the alarm goes off. Reach into the cockpit, and the alarm goes off. :shrug"

Remote start
You do realize that the car is a stick don't you? Have a brain fart when you park the car (leave it in gear), and you can remote start the car right on down the road (garage wall, parked car, pedestrian, etc.).

Besides why exactly is a remote start of any benefit other than being "cool". It will save you what, 0.5 seconds you have to "waste" pressing the start button? You still have to turn the key to unlock the steering wheel. Starting a car to warm it up is really not good for the engine, and does nothing to warm up the rest of the driveling (transmission, differential, drive shafts(s), wheel bearings, etc.) - they are still cold. The best way to warm up a car is to gently drive it until it warms up, then you can start beating on it.

That would be very helpful if someone had the electrical diagrams for our cars.
They are easily available - in the factory service manual that you can download from LCU's website for $25. Federal regulations require manufacturers to provide emission repair information for a small fee. Lotus goes one better and just posts the entire factory manual on-line for the $25 on day membership fee. A bargain, considering that the last manual I had to purchase cost several hundred bucks for the manuals, supplements, and diagrams.

Pay the $25 and have you own copy. Every Lotus owner should have a copy, even if they don't work on their own cars.

On the subject of microwave sensors, my garage was right next to my kitchen at my last house. If i used my microwave, it would set my elise's car alarm off! Distance from microwave to car sensor was about 10 or 12 feet. Microwave was a 2008 vintage GE.
You need a new microwave. You current one is leaking microwaves - especially if its going through walls into you garage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts