The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am quite serious about getting an Elite (type 14). Although I've owned 3 of them in the past, it's been quite some time and I'm not as flexible as I was back then. I sat in one RHD version at Mike Ostrov's last week and found it to be quite cramped and awkward in the throttle to brake transition, knees up near the steering wheel.

Mike mentioned that other owners have lowered the seat as well as notched the fiberglass strut tower area to allow the seat to be positioned a little further back.

I’d like to hear from some of you that have done similar modifications. Thx

·
Registered
1 Posts
More seat room - Elite

I went through this as well on my Elite. I did a ground up and thought long and hard about Mike's idea to notch the wheel arch area. I decided not too because of the effect it might have on the long term value of the car. Instead, when I was having the seats rebuilt they skinny down as best they could the area that came in contact with the rear. We also put no padding under the carpet there. To make more room for my legs I had a spacer made to bring up the steering wheel and leave more room to work the pedals. Give me your email and I can send pictures.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am quite serious about getting an Elite (type 14). Although I've owned 3 of them in the past, it's been quite some time and I'm not as flexible as I was back then. I sat in one RHD version at Mike Ostrov's last week and found it to be quite cramped and awkward in the throttle to brake transition, knees up near the steering wheel.

Mike mentioned that other owners have lowered the seat as well as notched the fiberglass strut tower area to allow the seat to be positioned a little further back.

I’d like to hear from some of you that have done similar modifications. Thx
Hi
I’m going to buy an elite MK14 and because I’m 6,2” high I’d like to know your height ti understand if I’ll fit in
Thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi
I’m going to buy an elite MK14 and because I’m 6,2” high I’d like to know your height ti understand if I’ll fit in
Thanks
I ended up with a small diameter steering wheel from a FF and a Corbeau seat that I bolted down as far back as I could, this worked well for me. My inseam is ~ 33", 6' 1"

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
More seat room - Elite

I went through this as well on my Elite. I did a ground up and thought long and hard about Mike's idea to notch the wheel arch area. I decided not too because of the effect it might have on the long term value of the car. Instead, when I was having the seats rebuilt they skinny down as best they could the area that came in contact with the rear. We also put no padding under the carpet there. To make more room for my legs I had a spacer made to bring up the steering wheel and leave more room to work the pedals. Give me your email and I can send pictures.
Worth mentioning that lots of mass produced cars of the '60s have either a hole cut into the carpet pad in the seat area or sometimes even have a hole in the carpet in that area (bare floor pan under the seat). Removing material to allow getting the seat lower is a very Lotus approach, and certainly less troubling than notching the wheel arch area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts