The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I asked this question earlier but never received a definitive answer.
Did the 2011 na originally have synthetic oil? Thanks!

Jim

·
Illegal Alien
5,259 Posts
They ship with a semi-syn 1st fill breakin oil but owners manuals then specs full syn refills.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I think it's better to use regular oil and change it at smaller intervals than running expensive synthetic for extended periods.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it's better to use regular oil and change it at smaller intervals than running expensive synthetic for extended periods.
Why is that Squid? From what I read, the 3k mile rule is obsolete considering the advancements in lubrication technology.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
It's not so much that it's obsolete, as it is that it's not a requirement. The reality is all oil (dino juice or synthetic) deteriorates. So, even though an oil may last longer than 3-5K miles and not require replacement, changing it out earlier than required can only benefit an engine's life.

I personally change the oil in all my cars using synthetic every 5k miles. Many would say that's wasted money. I look at it as preventative engine care.

Why is that Squid? From what I read, the 3k mile rule is obsolete considering the advancements in lubrication technology.

·
Illegal Alien
5,259 Posts
The additives and detergents loss effectiveness over time, but the biggest thing that shorted useful live was a shearing of the molecular chain of the viscosity additives used in multi weight Dino oil. Syn. Oils do not have this problem and thus have a natural longer life based on the additive package, plus are much more shear resistant and flow better, make that much much better at startup; thus lubricating the moving parts and providing hydraulic film to hold the metal apart at a most critical time of the engine start up. I have used Syn in all my cars, DD, street, track, race even daughters car at college, since the mid 80's, after seeing the consistent temp drop in my auto-X car at the time.

·
Premium Member
6,981 Posts
Its not the 70's anymore squid. You've said some some things over the years showing a general lack of ..... but this is right up there. Do some 21st century research. Most syn oil is in better shape after 10K than your old dino oil after 2K. Engine tolerances are vastly improved etc Nuff said. Do some research or stick to the computer stuff.

·
Registered
371 Posts
your kidding right? you dont run conventional in your evora do you? There is a reason synthetic oils only used in racing. And at the end of the day we are talking about minimal $$ investment on oil changes. What is the difference like $2-5 a quart? So that is "expensive synthetic"? This engine doesnt even require special weight like some engines (10w60 for BMW M engines). At the end of the day your saying you would rather use an inferior product that will not protect the engine internals as much in the long run WHILE deposing of bad oil twice as much. Its the same mentality of the people saying they fill up their exotic car with regular every time because "i've never ran premium before why start now."

·
Less is Better
2,788 Posts
There are several good reasons to use synthetic over conventional oil, including extended change intervals. One of the most comvincing to me is pour point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts