The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
A048 lifetime on an Elise is quite different to heavier cars.

A friend of mine has an Elise 111 Sport ... he has done 8000k on his tyres so far, including several track days and a 6 day rally.

I would estimate his front tyres are less than half worn - didn't get to check the rears unfortunately.

So I certainly think you will get 15000+ on the front set.

I have A048s on my 111R. The differences so far:

1) ride - substantially harsher on rough tarmac
2) noise - no change in tyre noise [fyi, Bridgestone 540 rubber is very noisy]
3) steering response - much improved turn in response - rapid slalom is instant response
4) steering weight - heavier at parking speeds, fine above that
5) braking grip - awesome - I can force the ABS to come on with neck snapping braking, but its way past the braking force you would use in normal driving
6) lateral grip - awesome - feels flatter to me than the standard tyre
7) understeer - much less understeer, only apparant during low speed tight turns like round abouts. The stock tyre understeers quite readily on a roundabout, which is why I wanted to change to the Yokies.
8) launch grip - I haven't been able to get any wheelspin with 3000 rpm launches - the 111R just jumps from the line. I plan to try for some spin after the first service. [big brother is watching <grin>]
9) oversteer - with anything less than 6000rpm the elise is glued to the road. Still running in so I haven't pushed into the 6000+ power band

A set of Yokie A048 Lotus edition - yes, this is a special version made for Lotus - will cost $3000 AUD downunder. By comparision, a set of Bridgestone 540 costs about $2400 AUD. So they are are around 20% more expensive than other track rubber.

·
Registered
100 Posts
BTW, the above post is for dry tarmac ... it hasn't rained in Melbourne since I got my 111R.

But I can give some wet road experience from my Nissan 200sx which rode on Bridgstone 540 track rubber for 6 months.

Light to medium wet roads
For quick sensible driving in light to medium wet, ie, braking early and constant speed cornering, the 540 was as good, if not better than the standard road tyres. Spirited driving would provoke controllable understeer and oversteer at will.

Heavy wet roads
Some aquaplaning at speed with standing water. Drive sensibly though and there is no problem - very easy to manage.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Oh, and the bottom line ...

If you have the means, and you are not concerned about the harsher ride, get the A048 tyres. They are *much* better.

Cheers

Nev

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi Theo,

I'm using the OZ Motorsport Rims ... they are 6.5" at the front, but the same width at the rear.

According to Yokohama you should have no trouble fitting the A048 195/16/50 to the stock 5.5" rim

Cheers,

Nev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.